Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP - 2 internet connections - combine?

• 06-05-2005 3:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So, I have Windows XP.

I have recently got Irish Broadband. I have 2 months to run on my Netsource contract so I obviously wanna get the best out of it.

I have 2 network cards in my PC.

Is there a way I can connect both internet connections into my PC and get the combined speed of the two? (i.e. 2Mbit Netsource + 2Mbit IBB download, 128Kbit Netsource + 2Mbit IBB upload == 4Mbit/3.xxMbit) ?

I hear this can be done on some versions of linux, if I setup another PC as a network gateway or if I buy a special router... but this doesn't suit unfortunitly.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Short answer. No, you cannot combine. With the right stuff you might be able to have them run in parallel. But you will not be able to download one single file at 4mbit. You might be able to set it up so you can download one at 2mb and another at 2mb. But it'd be complicated and time wasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Im not too learned on this, but I think you would have to go about setting up a proxy server or a webserver. You can direct certain traffic to a certain connection. Handy for seperating games traffic from downloads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

That would be useful if I could even separate them so that I could have one for downloads and one for games.

Any ideas how I'd go about this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

use another pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

It is possible to do this. The term used is "connection teaming".

There are two options. Either buy a router which accepts two net connections (take a look on ebay)

OR

Use some software to do this for you. The difficult part in all this is load balancing (managing the bandwidth of the two connections) Linux has some scope for this in the 2.6 kernel if you want to make a linuxbox router ...but I'm uncertain if there is any software available which has this functionality.

There was a piece of windows software available for free a few years ago which I tried (can't think of the name off the top of my head), it worked for browsing but would crash when downloading a file.

Basically unless you are going to go and buy a new router its more hassle than its worth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Sygate Office Network.

I'm resonably sure that does exactly what you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

indeed it does. give the pineapplyturtlethingy a a gold star!

I've been looking for something just like that myself.

thanks MF you're a star, just when I needed it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

vibe666 wrote:
    indeed it does. give the pineapplyturtlethingy a a gold star!
    Turtle + Pineapple = Turple. I call him bob, bob the turple :p

Glad i could be of assistance. I just wish i knew as much about physics :( Got a feckin test tomorrow. Why the hell do UCD insist on having saturday exams in the morning, why can't it be an evening exam! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yeah that would be much better.

nice evning exam. you could take your pipe and slippers and have a few scoops after. :D

Advertisement