Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people ninja loot?

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

This is something I've never been able to comprehend. Especially within the context of a guild.

Last night we did some raiding, killed a couple of Molten Core bosses and Onyxia, only for one of our newer guild members (Seadog) to Ninja loot pretty much everything from onyxia. I mean ya it sucked for us, it was kinda heart breaking, especially since u can only kill onyxia every 5-6 days max. But in the long run it won't really matter that much to us, since we will keep killing her on a regular basis.

What I don't understand though is the mentality of the ninja looter.

If someone does it in a random group that's one thing, because chances are you won't ever need to play with those guys again, and chances are you probably wouldn't have grouped with them that much anyway. Even though it still could tarnish your reputation, and off course it's something i dissapprove of just as strongly. But to do so within the framework of a guild just seems kinda stupid.

I mean we are a proven group of players that's going to be around for a good while to come. Surely if he plans to play this game at all he has much more to gain by playing honestly and sticking with us. Because we are going to pretty much farm MC and Onyxia, and once BW lair is in we'll be farming that too. So ya he got a couple of nice items now, but any guild capable of doing these dungeons on the server won't trust him ( though i'm guessing he'll migrate when/if he can). So it's really a very very short term gain for him now when he could have stayed with us and gotten to experience a lot more of the fun PvE content in the game + gain a lot more nice items.

Seems kinda pointless to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Inform the FBI quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

People ninja loot so they can get the best loot for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ok, What is Ninja Looting ? <-- lost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

It means just looting the body first for quest items and stuff, rolling on items you cant use, **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ahh ok thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

not sure what what system menochs guild uses but in my experiences a 40man raid group is gonna have problems with the fair distribution of loot with the ingame rolling system.

To this effect a bidding system is used.How this works is that everyone gets 10 points to bid with for that instance run. Now when an item drops everyone *must* pass on *all* items (dont matter if its an artifact item or a green item with **** armour and +4spirit). When everyone has passed people bid on the items using their 10 points (so a maximum total bid of 10 points). If two people bid the same then and only then do they do /random. Once your points are spent you cant bid on an item (or match a bid with someone who has more points than you). Any item that isnt bid on will be greeded in an a-z order (or some other random method).
    There are of course other methods but i just wanted to quickly explain to those of you who didnt realise just how easy it can be to ninja loot (or be ninja looted).

If everyone passes all u gotta do is roll and ull win. Another method is too pass yourself and then just pick the items up off the corpse.

Only way to really stop ninja looting is too set a master looter who decideds who gets what but this requires trust and a certain lack of muppetry.

Im sorry to hear your run got ninja'd memnoch. Luckily ive never lost an item that i wanted to ninja looters but ive been in groups when it happened and it sucks for all involved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Why do WoW players use words like gank, ninja loot, carebear etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

CodeMonkey wrote:
    because there's a long legacy of words that come from previous MMORPGS and even from MUDs before that. They're not unique to WOW if that was your inference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

CodeMonkey wrote:

why do people in general use words at all for anything? For communication. Slang is used for similar reasons. These words communicate a certain meaning within the MMO community and so people use them.

You might as well ask why people speak French in France :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That's pretty damn crappy, but at the end of the day he's just screwing himself over. I'm sure you guys will keep whatever guild he joins next updated on this and make sure he doesn't live this down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Why do people in ireland speak english? :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

koneko wrote:
    That's pretty damn crappy, but at the end of the day he's just screwing himself over. I'm sure you guys will keep whatever guild he joins next updated on this and make sure he doesn't live this down :D

Na, I'm not going to bother. He's infamous enough as it is. If another guild chooses to trust his behaviour on a raid that's their call to make. But ya he has screwed himself over big time. There are only 3-4 guilds capable of raiding on Bladefist (including us) I don't see him being able to join an of em any time soon, especially since he's a rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

ouch.

ya master loot is your solution. appoint it to the person who is commanding the raid.

although i have heard rumours that its bugged so im not sure how safe it is.

just read that he is a rogue(and im glad you spelt it right ;) )
    do i have to go on and describe my hatred for rogues.......

Advertisement