Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

I made a claim a month ago when I ran in to another car. This was my first year of driving. My insurance runs out this week. I have got Quotes from other insurance companies and they quoted me up on E300 more than I paid for the policy running out. But my own insurance company has quoted me E250 cheaper than they charged me last year on the policy I made a claim on. Why are they charging me so little even though I made a claim? Every thing is the same like car and mileage, but I am a year older 23 now. Im not asking them any questions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Presume since you had no NCB to begin with, getting insured this year you just have no NCB again so its the same terms as when you got the quote off them last year, only this time you are a year older.

Moral is - if youre going to make a claim, make sure its in your first year driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Did you have some sort of claim protectiion.
    Usually for an extra few bob, you can protect your no claims bonus, against claims!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I assume the claim has been settled at this stage, or you wouldn't have been quoted by other companies - or certainly not only E300 over your current rate.

How much was the claim? If it was only a few hundred quid, then no big deal - you just have to start your NCB over again. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal from them tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

The Claim was E600, new bumper on 3rd partys Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

eoin_s wrote:
    I assume the claim has been settled at this stage, or you wouldn't have been quoted by other companies - or certainly not only E300 over your current rate.

How much was the claim? If it was only a few hundred quid, then no big deal - you just have to start your NCB over again. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal from them tbh.

Just wondering? If the claim has been settled does that mean you are free to move insurance companies at the next renewal?

The reason I ask is that similar situation happened to me a couple of months ago, I had a 3rd party claim against me for approx 2K and then claimed for damage to my car of approx €700, AFAIK it's now been settled and 3rd party's claim met etc.

I had a full 5 years NCB with stepback protection reducing it to 35% discount instead of 55% (Eagle star). I was under the impression that I had to stay with Eagle star for the next 3 years minimum as I didnt think a different insurance company would insure you if you had had a claim within 3 years - 5 years(minimum)? :confused:

If anyone knows about these things, would appreciate it as I'm sure Eagle Star wouldnt be telling me I could move if I can!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its their way of keeping you. Your NCB protection is no good with other insurers. As far as other companies are concerned you have no ncb and you are basically stuck with Eagle star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

You have to have the full NCB of 5 yrs, before you can protect it, i think. You cant protect a NCB of 3yrs by paying a bit extra even. That feature is only available once you reach 5NCB.

I think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The protection only applies to the current insurer, have a claim and try to move, you will have no NCB.

Advertisement