Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Webstrings Review

• 06-05-2005 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Took a gamble with some strings from www.webstrings.com, got three sets of guitar strings and a set of bass strings. It cost me €15 for the lot (somehow I think they didn't charge me shipping).

Anyway, I restrung my ESP Jazz bass last night with them and... eh... meh, they're ok, nothing amazing. They're not nearly as bright as a new set of Rotosounds or Ernie Balls. There was a noticable difference in brightness between the E and A strings, the E wasn't as bright. Nothing major but definitely noticable. Other than that, well they're not too bad, they're not great but at about €7 per set, they're probably worth it. Use webstrings for practicing, rehearsals and crap gigs and put on something good when you're doing something important. They don't have that growl of a set of Rotosounds, they're kind of subdued almost, like a contemporary Jamerson thing. Still, you can get at least three sets of em for the price of one set of strings in town so yeah I give em one thumb up, though I wouldn't dare record with them (they're not that ****, but you can't beat a really nice set of strings if it's something you're going to listen to hundreds of times). I'll keep this updated with how long they last and report on the guitar strings oever the weekend probably.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

That's a bargain, especially for bass strings.

I was toying with the idea of ordering from them but decided against it...I dont think guitar strings are that expensive here - or maybe i'm wrong?. I usually get either Fender Bullets for about 6.99 or D'Addario's for 7.99. That's quite reasonable, isnt it? (i dont have a clue how much they cost abroad, btw, maybe that's why...)

I dont understand why bass strings are so outrageously expensive here though. Wanted to get a set of D'Addarios for my old man's Jazz bass and they were 30 (!!!) euros, so i said fcuk that and took the Rotosound strings for 20.

How do you bass players afford it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

D'Addario are sheeeeeeeeeeeeyite man, Rotosounds all the way ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I like D'Addario actually...been playing the XLs for years and now i'm messing around with Fenders.

I did switch to Ernie Ball before that and now i put a set of Rotosound 10s on the Thinline - impressive!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Dean Markley Blue Steels tbh. Gotta go blag myself a couple of free packs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

slinkys for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i like the power or regular slinky's..but i'm gonna try rotosounds this time round...anyone use these on guitar???

Yeah I used them years ago... good strings.

where abouts can i get em doc??

WebStrings? www.webstrings.com

oh right sorry i meant is there any shops over here that sell em

• Advertisement

They're only sold on the web... hence the name ;):p:o

tut can't believe i didn't cop that cheers boys

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Doctor J wrote:
    D'Addario are sheeeeeeeeeeeeyite man, Rotosounds all the way ;)

i've always gone with d'addario . .
    :rolleyes:

I dunno, just don't like em, they just don't do it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

well doc i got 4 packets of hybrid slinkies from Ernie Ball for €16 so if you want quality and quantity you have the wrong website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've never really liked Rotosound, never liked the way they sounded or felt. I'm an Ernie ball man for both bass and guitar.

Nidge wrote:
    well doc i got 4 packets of hybrid slinkies from Ernie Ball for €16 so if you want quality and quantity you have the wrong website.

Just thought I'd check them out. I've switched to Dean Markley blue steels for "real" playing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Nidge wrote:

URL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

a friend ordered them for me, watch this space and i'll post it, and Doc are dean markley meant to be better than ernie ball or what was the wink?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

i wanna try out Dean Markley SR2000 for my bass but i dont know any online dealers to send them to me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

the only strings i use on my bass are either rotosound swing or jazz, 23 from musician inc, but what can ya do

Nidge wrote:
    Doc are dean markley meant to be better than ernie ball or what was the wink?

I've heard great things about them and they're usually rather pricey but I got a few packs with an order from Thomann recently for a very reasonable price. I'm just wainting until I've used the goodness out of my current set of Ernie Balls
    Slurms wrote:
    i wanna try out Dean Markley SR2000 for my bass but i dont know any online dealers to send them to me :(

I hate to say it but have a look at www.music123.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

would shipping form there not cost a bomb though?

EDIT: plus they dont have any.

I'm liking the Blue Steels I put on the Ibanez and the LTD. Gotta complain about them though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

While we're on the subject, what are the best strings for longevity at a "normal" price (i.e. not double the price for Elixirs)? I make shíte of strings awfully fast (D'Addario) with my superman sweat even if I wipe down the guitar after every time I play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Ive only ever played, Rotosound, D'Addario (currently), Fender Bullets. I find that the Rotosounds go weird when I play them. The unwound strings go a kind of red colour for some reason and they lose their brightness pretty quick.

I found that out of those three ^^ the D'Addarios brightness lasts longest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

ernie balls and ghs boomers all the way!

Advertisement