Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laptop Shop - Stephens Green

Options
  • 06-05-2005 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

That ill-fated unit on the top of the green centre that was the luas expo, (the same side as asha but at the other end)is opening soon as a laptop shop, looks nice but i'd say expensive and won't get walk in customers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 soupman

I've just bought that shop in Stephens Green and I've invested a lot of money into making it look more inviting than any other computer shops in ireland... not a dank workshop that sells a few components or a big warehouse where you can't get any help.

Thanks for saying the shop looked nice by the way, but I don't appreciate you making judgements about the prices just because the shop looks nice... your quote was posted the day before my shop opened and there weren't any prices on display then. I'm not going to do any advertising here but I think you should have a look before making any declarations on the web about it... you could be surprised. I'll welcome any feedback on pricing, preferably face-to-face in the shop.

I'm trying to be a nice computer shop with good prices, not expensive ones... you can help me out by letting me know if things are cheaper elsewhere and I can do some renegotiation with suppliers and get a better price... I can also get in specifically requested models if I don't have them. All three of us who work in the shop were recently made redundant when the company we worked for went bust so we're trying to ensure we have jobs for the future. You can all help by being constructive with comments on pricing. Also, yeah, you're right I wasn't expecting to pick up much passing trade on the top level but the shop has had customers in it constantly since I opened and early results are encouraging. I'm going to have to advertise a lot because I couldn't afford to get a shop on the lower levels. I know you weren't being vindictive or anything but please be aware of the effects your comments could have with me just starting out in business and investing my whole wealth in it, thanks. It doesn't have to be an us against them thing. I can help you get good value laptops if you give me some feedback about what you're looking for and what the best prices you can get are.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'll be seeing you soon. What's your unit number?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Whats your cheapest laptop with a DVD rewriter, i would be looking to spend approx €600- €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Good luck with the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I was in there on Saturday and had a lot of trouble trying to get prices on RAM...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I hope the shop goes well for you and will be a success, it has great potential.
    I only commented about prices cause in ireland trying to get good value on computer stuff. I agree with you about the idea of having a nice computer shops cause too many places are not very approachable for people with little or no computer experience.
    I'm defo going to give you good press because I prefer to give a real person the benefits rather than just a face less conglomerate.
    I Wish you all the best and i'm sure it will all go really well, Top units are often better i jnow that a certain shop had far less theft after it moved from bellow to top in another place.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

Do you have a website with prices ?

Good luck with the business

Thanks for asking. The website is in development however, I think its going to be one of the better Irish ones when it goes live in 3 weeks or so. The address will be ___________ will also get you there. It will be fully e-commerce.

<edit> The links posted have been removed due to the fact that you will need to contact the Admins of the proper authorities to post website addresses for the purpose of promoting the shop.please read the board.ie charter for more info <edit>

steveland? wrote:
    I was in there on Saturday and had a lot of trouble trying to get prices on RAM...
    It can be difficult to get RAM prices on a weekend as its a minefield. You should see some of the price lists we have to lool up. They run to thousands of lines. We have somebody we can ring during the week with a configurator who takes the work out of this for us. Where you the guy looking for Packard Bell Ram? If so I thought I explained the problem with that.

Superman wrote:
    I hope the shop goes well for you and will be a success, it has great potential.
    I only commented about prices cause in ireland trying to get good value on computer stuff. I agree with you about the idea of having a nice computer shops cause too many places are not very approachable for people with little or no computer experience.
    I'm defo going to give you good press because I prefer to give a real person the benefits rather than just a face less conglomerate.
    I Wish you all the best and i'm sure it will all go really well, Top units are often better i jnow that a certain shop had far less theft after it moved from bellow to top in another place.
    Thanks for the support.

• Advertisement

I'll be seeing you soon. What's your unit number?
    206a between Celestial Ring and that weird shanty type shack that sells the kids stuff.

Stephen wrote:
    Good luck with the business.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sparky_S wrote:
    Whats your cheapest laptop with a DVD rewriter, i would be looking to spend approx €600- €700.

Tis a business, not a charity the man is running ;)

Sparky_S wrote:
    I'd be more like €800 for a Tosh with 40GB, DVD super , multi drive, 512MB + free starter kit (mouse, bag, hub). I'm only dealing in the branded stuff through the regular channels... you can sometimes get grey imports at a better price. The prices are also very dependent on the lifecycle of the product, i.e. Toshiba and HP are both coming out with new ranges in the next week or two. Prices may go down slightly. If you can only spend €700 I can let you know where to get one although it would be more basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

Are you hiring??? ill work for 1 euro a day im only 14 ;) ill come in and have a look gonna get a laptop when i get the cash together

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

I was in the shop today & I have to say it looks amazing! good job guys ;)
    Had a quick look at a tosh & fujitsu and the prices seemed very reasonable, compared to the likes of Elara...

hope to make a purchase in the next few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

good luck with the business also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭kyper

Best of luck with the new venture.

I was just wondering if you take laptops as trade ins. I think this would be a great idea as there are a lot of people looking for cheaper refurbished laptops (i know there are issues with dead pixels and batteries but all this could be taken into concideration when trading in) and people would prefer to trade in rather than sell their old machine themselves even if they end up gettin less for it trading in. I think it would also encourage people who are thinking about upgrading their one or two year old laptop to go ahead and do it since it seems like less of a splash out

Anyway thats just what I think would be really cool.
    Best of luck again!

Oh and I hope you sell PowerBooks and do the education discount.... if so... I'll be seeing you soon (even sooner if you do take trade ins :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Yeah tradeins would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

Tis a business, not a charity the man is running ;)
    haha :) I wouldnt sell you a Dell CPI PII I have sitting here as a paperweight for that money :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 rlover34

not true the first person was right

because it happend to me

I have been deceived from the start.

I was informed that it was a new computer, but later discovered that it was purchased in Germany in 2016 and that

the warranty expired in 2018.

It has not even been six months since I purchased it, and it is already experiencing issues.

Despite my attempts to contact them via phone and email, it took them two months to inform me that I would need to consult with a technician.

Since then, he has not provided any updates on the status of my repair request, despite my follow-ups. I had to pay for the repair out of my own pocket, even though the product is still under warranty. I caution others to be wary of their purchases and the promises made by this company.

I cannot recommend them.

Advertisement