Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Firewall - 3341

• 06-05-2005 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭

Really starting to loose my grip with firewalls lately , as an online gamer my ping spikes of recent are ruining my enjoyment of my BB conn . And it seems to point to some problem I am having with firewalls . I tried Zonealarm , the newer ver , worked fine at the start then the spikes started to come back . Then tried an older ver. same as above , fine at the start then spikes . Tried sygate over the last two days and ditto . Tried with no firewalls and the spikes seemed gone . Tried with XP firewall and , not really sure , don't trust it tbh which is probably due to conditioning :)

Last night at the end of my tether , I started to look into the settings of my Netopia Caymen 3341 . Oh look , a section on upgrading firmware , lets click that , hmmm , thats taking a bit of time , must let the dog out for a pee and have a fag . When I came back it asked me to restart the modem and when I dialled back in I was greeted by a different interface . Huh ? a firewall ? that wasn't there before , and a lovely eircom sign .

Now what I know about modem settings and this kind of firewall could be wrote on the back of a stamp....with a big black marker . Is this firewall any good ? could I run my pc with just this ? is anyone really interested in hacking my pc anyways ? will Moriarty kill me for posting this ? will Moriarty kill me for posting it here ? Its Friday , I am and have been sick for nearly eight weeks now , or is it nine ? and I want to kill time by playing games . Someone call and fix this for me please , make me a cup of tea and call me when you are done .

Oh by the way you only have an hour while I watch last tuesdays epsidoe of enterprise that I missed cause of the footy . Pm me for when you can call .

Thanks and good morning .

John

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Jonski i always used the xp firewall when on 64k isdn for 3 years.
    I have 2mb broadband for about two months now and only the last 3-4 weeks have i installed sygate ,before that it was xp firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

What ISP are you with?
    If it's UTV then from what I've read in their suport newsgroup, their pings have gone to hell off late. Now I'm not a gamer and am not concerned about pings so I could be talking out of my a*rse but thats what I've read :D

I used to have your model modem but now I have the netopia wireless router and I've always used the XP firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I am and eircom man , an eircom man i am ( add your own tune plz , but do sing it )

Advertisement