Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing ISP.....downtime...port forwarding...BT or Eircon?

• 06-05-2005 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭

OK guys, finally leaving UTV.

Smart won't be available to me for ages so it's either Esat BT or Eircon. Price wise, there's nothing between them over 6 months so it's a straight call between speed/reliability & service (both DSL & customer!).

A few Qs:

Will I still have to endure significant downtime? Seems crazy these days if so :eek: Did someone mention "port forwarding" or a similiar term meaning no physical changes necessary - just a transfer of service? Surely as all 3 are just reselling Eircon's service, it should just be an admin/paperwork issue?

E-mail. Would I be correct in assuming that existing e-mail addresses/accounts would become null & void? eg. xyz@utvinternet.com would no longer be available to me? Or could I still log into such e-mail accounts? I know UTV don't allow access to webspace unless you're logging in from a UTV IP. Same for their e-mail?

Am e-mailing UTV now indicating I'm ending my contract on May 31st. It would be nice to think the new provider take up the running on June 1st.

Finally, BT or Eircon?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Kramer,
    I asked the same Q's as you on the UTV newsgroup and to Esat/BT. Here are the answers I got.
    From UTV (Carl):
    Email or letter would be fine to cancel(admin@u.tv).CC a copy of the email to him (carl@u.tv) and he'll try to get it processed promptly.
    Email and webspace:
    "Techincally you lose both. Housekeeping on these isn't a priority
    item for admin tho, however you can't upload to our free websapce from
    a non-UTV connection anyway"
    But if you know someone with a UTV connection you can access your webspace while it's still there. Or maybe switch to UTV dialup to access it.
    "The 30 days notice period kicks in from receipt of your cancellation."

From Esat/BT:
    Contact them and ask for them for a DTAF (DSL Transfer Authorisation Form).
    They emailed me a copy or they can post you out a copy. Fill it out and return it to them.
    Cancel UTV and apply for Esat/Bt around the same time. The transfer takes about 15 to 20 workng days to happen but it is supposedly seamless with no downtime.
    Also, I currently have a 1mb connection and BT asked for my phone number to check my line to see if could take 2mb and it can. It saves applying and paying for the higher package if you can only get 1mb because of your line.

I didn't switch yet so I don't know if their theory works in practice but I'm going to soon.

Hope this helps
    Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

Thanks Kevin, exactly the info I was after. I'll let you know how I get on if my transfer goes ahead before yours.

Cheers :) .

Advertisement