Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SuSE 9.2 and IOLBB

• 06-05-2005 10:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm interested in trying out linux. So far I've installed Fedora Core 3. Installation was fine, everything worked etc. But I didn't like it...don't know why, but I just don't like FC3 :)

A friend recommended SuSE next, which I've now got installed. One thing however, I can't connect to the Internet through it. I'm on IOLBB with a ZyXEL Prestige 623. I'm connecting through the Ethernet, not the USB.

I can access 192.168.1.1 alright, but if I try going anywhere else, I get an error (something along the lines of unknown host).

If anyone could tell me what the problem is (I've googled, but nothing came up) and step me through setting it up (baby steps, I'm very much a newbie :o), I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

anyone? even a general direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I haven't used Suse since 7.0 so excuse me if I'm waaay off the mark here, but have you tried to set up your ethernet device via Yast?

And are the settings on your modem correct? Have you given the correct iolbb username and password? Do you get assigned an IP by the modem? Do "ifconfig" and paste the output here :) I'm leaving work in a moment but i'll try to help you before i go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm using 9.1 on Digiweb with a Prestige 630, no problems and even though it was my first linux install, painless to get going.

First of all, if you can dual boot (or have a Knoppix CD handy) see if it works then, if not you know your modem setup, login name etc. is where the problem lies.

Assuming it works but not under Suse:

Don't set it up via the Network Devices/DSL or Modem icon in Yast.
    Go into Network Devices/Network Card and make sure your network card is set up (should be automatically)

Go into Network Services/DHCP Server and ensure Start DHCP Server is NOT ticked.

Go to 192.168.1.1, log in and go to Advanced Setup / LAN
    Under DHCP select Server
    Client IP Starting Address - I have 192.168.1.33 but check your ISP's documentation

Let us know how you get on

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

sjones: "ifconfig" didn't work - it said it was an unknown command?

ninja900: I've 2 devices listed under network card:
    • Austek A7N8X Mainboard onboard nForce2 Ethernet
      Configured with DHCP
    • Austek A7N8X Deluxe onboard 3C920B-EMB integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
      Configured with DHCP
    I went through the rest of your settings, but with "Network Services/DHCP Server" - I couldn't find DHCP Server.

Still not connected.

I've 2 devices listed under network card
    Looks like your onboard controller is listed twice for some reason (do you have a network card installed as well?)
    Try removing both of them in Yast (Network Devices/Network Card) then use Configure to make it search for a network interface again
    I went through the rest of your settings, but with "Network Services/DHCP Server" - I couldn't find DHCP Server.
    That's where it is in Yast in 9.1, might be worded slightly differently in 9.2 but should be broadly the same.
    (RTFM time, sorry :o ) Have you looked at the SuSE DSL router support article, may or may not be the easiest to understand but if you have any problems just post them here.

ifconfig didn't work for you, so try /sbin/ifconfig (i.e. provide the full path to the command, SuSE locates a few things in funny places compared to other linuxes, so a command that works for someone on another linux might need slight alteration for it to work on SuSE)

I suppose I was lucky, not a total noob to the *nix way of doing things, had a good bit of experience on AmigaDOS fifteen years ago :D

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Advertisement

if all else fails, post the contents of /var/log/boot.msg

I don't have a network card also - but my motherboard has 2 Ethernet ports.
    ifconfig wrote:
    me@linux:~> /sbin/ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0E:A6:07:38:C7
    inet addr:192.168.1.33 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::20e:a6ff:fe07:38c7/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:9 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:686 (686.0 b)
    Interrupt:11 Base address:0xe000

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:26:54:15:77:F4
    inet addr:192.168.1.33 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: fe80::226:54ff:fe15:77f4/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:772 (772.0 b)
    Interrupt:5 Base address:0xb000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:390 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:390 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:26468 (25.8 Kb) TX bytes:26468 (25.8 Kb)
    Mean anything to you?

I was unable to access boot.msg due to permission error...

What have you got connected to each one?
    Both have the same IP address, are you trying to connect both to your router?

On my system I can read boot.msg without logging in as root (though not boot.log)
    Anyway:

su root
    Enter root password
    cat /var/log/boot.msg

Boot.msg attached.

I tried Mandrake Move last night. It had an autoconfig for network devices and I was able to connect. Is there anyway to get a similar aplication installed?

<notice>start services (network) Setting up network interfaces: lo lo IP address: 127.0.0.1/8 done
    eth0 device: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller (rev a1)
    eth0 configuration: eth-id-00:0e:a6:07:38:c7
    eth0 IP address: 192.168.1.33/24
    eth0 Error while excuting: Command 'ip route replace to 192.168.1.1/24 via 192.168.1.33 dev eth0' returned: RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument Configuration line: 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.33 255.255.255.0 eth-id-00:0e:a6:07:38:c7 done
    eth1 device: 3Com Corporation 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller [Tornado] (rev 40)
    eth1 configuration: eth-id-00:26:54:15:77:f4
    eth1 IP address: 192.168.1.33/24 doneSetting up service network . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .done <notice>exit status of (network) is (0)
    OK you know your set-up can be made to work, so it's just a configuration problem in Yast.

Seems to be two problems here - it's failing when trying to carry out the 'ip route replace' command :confused: and the two IP addresses for the ethernet ports are the same.

What sort of LAN setup do you have, what if anything is connected to each port, did you set up the DSL router to act as a DHCP server? Do you just want to set up internet access for this PC, or have it act as a firewall / gateway for other machines on your LAN?

Easiest thing is probably to remove both network interfaces in Yast and set them up again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement