Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly great news for Alien and Predator fans!

• 06-05-2005 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

...a sequel to Alien Vs Predator has just been announced!....maybe they'll make a proper movie this time!

http://filmforce.ign.com/avp/articles/610/610703p1.html

Second Alien Vs. Predator Coming
    They're invading the real world this time.

May 05, 2005 - It's confirmed: Alien Vs. Predator was successful enough to warrant a sequel. 20th Century Fox's Tom Rothman confirmed to Sci Fi Wire at the Saturn Awards that the studio is already planning AVP 2, following the success of the first one.

Rothman spilled some minor plot details on the crossover sequel, stating that it would not be set in a remote location like Antarctica (the locale of the first AVP) or space (like the Alien series). "In the new Alien Vs. Predator they will finally actually really come to our world."

Rothman also mentioned that the AVP sequel would also help to complete the bridge between the Alien and Predator film franchises.

There's no word yet on whether Paul W.S. Anderson (Soldier, Resident Evil) will return to direct the sequel. The British-born filmmaker currently has two other films on his plate.

Although the first Alien Vs. Predator picture wasn't among 2004's big successes, it did earn enough to recoup its $45 million budget and more. It's easy to see Fox pouring more money into the sequel, but it might have difficulty overcoming the negative image the first AVP received in the press; for example, only 22% of the reviews listed at Rotten Tomatoes were favorable, and IMDb visitors rated it an unimpressive 5.4 out of 10.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Oh for fùcks sake, a sequel to a **** movie...can they let a dead dog lie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

No matter how bad the movie was, there's no denying that the bits where they fought were great...yeah I've loved all previous movies (even the underrated Alien 3) but I'm not really the kind of person that takes it as a personal insult if something doesn't live up the the brand.

Maybe I'm too happy and laid-back to be a movie critic?

I'm just looking forward to a more polished expensive fight than the first, and fingers crossed no Anderson this time. It's a Vs movie - no-one will ever take that sort of thing seriously anyway so why not just enjoy the scrap?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

I agree with smokingman. the film was a bit of fluff, but the action scenes were top class!! im more of a predator fan myself, but both species created enough tension to warrant a (may-be more plot orientated) sequel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

smokingman wrote:
    No matter how bad the movie was, there's no denying that the bits where they fought were great...yeah I've loved all previous movies (even the underrated Alien 3)

alien3 ruled, RULED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I still think the whole idea crossing the franchises over like this is stupid.

It's like a argument that two 12 year olds would have in a school yard about who is faster, Superman or the Flash?

I think they are doing serious damage to both the Alien and Predator franchises by making these films. Especially if this is going to have Aliens running around in modern day Earth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

After seeing the flick and then looking back at the tagline

"WHOEVER WINS, WE LOSE"

you realise how terrible the film was and pointless the tagline is!! Only thing i lost was the 8 euros i paid to get in!!
    It really did no justice to either of the franchises unlike IMO Freddy Vs Jason.
    While watching a freddy or jason flick now you realise how dodgy they are, as apposed to when we were underage and renting them behind your folks back and they were the best thing, ever but watching F VS J it brought back all those nostalgic and nice feelings in my stomach as i watched people get splayed and cut in half :p

A vs P just left me feeling empty and cheated. Cant wait for the sequel!! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh god. Oh dear god no!

And whoever said the action scenes were good, you sir are an idiot. There wasn't anything in that film that I'd call an action scene. There were more joke scenes and they were all jokes at my expense since I paid to see this abomination.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's like a argument that two 12 year olds would have in a school yard about who is faster, Superman or the Flash?
    Yeah but Smallville actually answered that question this season in the episode "Run" and funnily enough the Flash was faster :)
    I think they are doing serious damage to both the Alien and Predator franchises by making these films. Especially if this is going to have Aliens running around in modern day Earth...
    Agreed. Certainly the movie "Alien" and its sequels made it seem like the alien was an unknown species, not something that had previously rampaged around the earth. More pointedly I associate the Alien series with the gritty future that Scott and Cameron created and Fincher finished off (there is no fourth movie). AvP crapped all over that in favour of a very bad movie with, incidentally, some pretty laughable action pieces. The news of a sequel is, alas, unsurprising from an industry that'd rape its own dead grandmother if they thought the resulting movie would sell enough seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Nooooooooooooooooo

I think that makes my opinion clear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

ah jaysus not another one :( ...but no doubt I'll end up watching it. It's like someone puking, you don't want to look but you can't resist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I have not yet seen AVP but i know that it lacks. I think i am waiting for that lazy Saturday afternoon where it can suck and that will be ok.

In the meantime i do hope that this one lives up to the potential that is there. And if Anderson is not involved then that is more good news, that man is the Spice Girls of directors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Of course the action scenes in AVP were class. You get an alien, a predator, and a couple of million, what do you expect? Is there really anyone alive who could make a scene involving an alien and a predator bad? No. Is there anyone alive who could make a scene involving a predator bad? Yes, one. Paul W. S. Anderson.

AVP was it for me, it was the end of ever being optimistic about a film I had even the tiniest bit of doubt about. Theres no "maybe it wont be bad this time". Thats never ever happened and you know it. Even if they dont get Paul W. S. Anderson to direct it, they'll just get some other talentless ****. Anything short of getting Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher or Wes Anderson to direct this will not change my mind that this film will actually be worst than the first. The only way I'll see it if is they edit the film down to the 12 minutes of fighting between the alien and predator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd rather wait for the Alien Loves Predator movie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

As a huge alien fan..and a minor pred fan. I must OBJECT!

the world has suffered enough and i will not stand for it.

WHOEVER WINS...WE LOSE

-the most honest tagline ever. no matter what happened in the film the audiance lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Seriously guys, the tagline thing is getting pretty old.

I'm not the biggest predator fan, but I'm a huge alien fan, and the alien deserved so much more than what they got in AVP. They were treated like a bunch of raptors jumping around in Jurassic Park. What kind of hack sees the words "Alien versus Predator", and the most creative thing he can think of is an alien and a predator fighting in one-on-one human style wrestling combat?

I respect the Predator, its cool enough, but it really hurt me to see aliens in a Paul Anderson film. Doing it twice is taking the piss. Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher and Jean-Pierre Jeunet are some of the most talented directors on the planet. HR Giger is a genius, as well as sort of sick in the head. The Xenomorph is a legend, its the coolest monster of all time. Paul W.S. Anderson doesnt belong anywhere near these things.

Advertisement