Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dis-car-nect

Options
  • 06-05-2005 2:54pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone use one of these?

Dis-car-nect

Little gizmo that disconnects your starter motor from the battery with the twist of a knob. Acts as a cheap immobiliser and also stops any battery drain you might have going on.

Anyone seen them on sale in Ireland, Halfords maybe?

CHEERS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Anyone use one of these?

Dis-car-nect

Little gizmo that disconnects your starter motor from the battery with the twist of a knob. Acts as a cheap immobiliser and also stops any battery drain you might have going on.

Anyone seen them on sale in Ireland, Halfords maybe?

CHEERS!

If it cuts the battery, does it not also disengage the brain & alarm systems?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

De Hipster wrote:
    If you'd actually taken time to read the link you will have discovered that there is a 16A fuse wired in parallel with the switch that will allow the brain (sic) to still work, but which will blow when anyone attempts to start the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anyone use one of these?

Dis-car-nect

Actually it won't, as there is a 16A fuse in parallel with it to keep the alarm, clock, radio settings etc. intact. This will blow as soon as anyone tries to start the car. You could, of course, remove the fuse yourself, I guess, but unless you really enjoy reprogramming your radio and clock every time you start your car it doesn't sound like a good idea. Some cars' ECUs can lose iinformation too if the battery remains unconnected for too long which will force them into a recalibration mode every time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

De Hipster wrote:
    In my car the "brain" sits behind the wheel and the alarm system is an LED light attached to nothing but a couple or wires. ;)

That said my car is 33 yrs old. I guess the battery drain stopper is only an "option" to those who don't have stuff that needs to be kept alive.

I still think the cheap "immobiliser" bit is cute though.

Advertisement