Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotation in flash

Options
  • 06-05-2005 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im making a simple birdseye view racing game in flash. im having a problem with the rotation though. if i set the left and right arrow keys to rotate, i want the up and down keys to acknowledge the direction the car is then facing so when i press up it keeps going in the right direction rather than up towards the top of the screen. Any help would be great!

Dee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you've got flash-mx, there's a sample called Movement-thrust.fla in
    Program Files\Macromedia\Flash MX\Samples\FLA
    that is written with the vector (magnitude + direction) + co-ordinates routine you're describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Hoochiemama

thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Zanza

Sorry to revive a year-ago thread, but I tried looking into this file and it didn't work..

I need a way to make the earth rotate or look like it.. the lab assistant showed us a way to do it using the world map and mask.. but I want to be creative and use other methods if possible to make the earth looks like it is rotating.

One more thing, is it possible to give me ideas to do a signature of my name using flash MX animation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It does work, for the problem that Hoochiemama asked.

What you're looking for is to simulate a textured spinning 3D sphere, using 2D & flash.
    You don't have a huge number of options with a complicated texture.
    I would guess that your instructor had you draw out the map, continents as shapes and set moving, using an envelope and a mask to get the sphere distortion effect. Don't see what's wrong with that.

If you're willing to lose resolution, and draw the earths land/sea as simple polygons, or groups of blobs, you could manually do the occlusion maths.

You might be better off starting a new thread under "webmaster / flash" btw, and stating why the masking method isn't good enough.

Advertisement