Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom League Action this week.

• 06-05-2005 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Friday 6th May
    Cork City v St. Patrick’s Athletic
    Derry City v Waterford United
    Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers
    U.C.D. v Bohemians
    Shelbourne v Finn Harps

Saturday 7th May
    Longford Town v Drogheda

Shels easily beat Pats, so I think Cork will do the same, but there's always surprises.

Derry have lost their way of late, and Waterford won't lie down easily, depending on which Derry turn up, this match could go either way. I'll go for a Waterford win.

I think Bray have an excellent chance of getting full points from the seemingly sinking ship that is Shamrock Rovers. But Rovers could rally.

UCD have picked up some notable results, and Bohs are having a terrible time of it. Bohs seem to have found some kind of scoring boots, so I'll go for a Bohs win.

Shels are top and unbeaten. Harps are bottom without a win. Shels to win, by two or three goals.

Longford are not having the best of campaigns, but if they can bring their Setanta Cup form to the league, they might beat Drogs. Drogheda are strong challengers this season, and will need to get maximum points to keep that challenge onm track. Win for Drogs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shels to win 3-0, and Bray to win 2-1. That'll keep me happy! Cork shouldn't have any problems with Pats tbh, but you can always hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

With Corks home form, there's always a chance. They've lost points to worse sides than Pats already, and Ger Rowe will be out to do us all a favour :D

And shockingly it turns out that the Aldo buying out Rovers deal was complete fabrication, I think Aldi would be more up their street tbh.

Haven't a clue what kind of team Shels will have out tonight, nobody seems to know the injury situation. O'Neill, Crawford, Fitzpatrick, Ndo and Crowe could all miss out. If that's the case I hope he puts Weso 'in the hole' rather than Harris up front, he's a defender and that's that. I remember two seasons ago but even so, we should be looking at better quality than that. Wes should be able to run riot against Harps if their form is an indication, and he got an absolute stunner against them last season in the cup. Ryan on the left and Baker on the right with Moore and Byrne in the centre then probably.

Looking at the form we should be able to beat them fairly comfortabley, but it doesn't always work like that, you could argue Harps are due a break and a good result. I'd obviously be happy with any kind of win, once our passing game is right we should be able to get it.

Also apparently Murphy will play for Waterford tonight despite a fee being agreed between them and Sunderland, this will likely be his last game for the blues. I hope he marks it with a goal or two, he's an excellent player and will be a loss to Waterford, I hope he can do well at Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shels are the banker of the season.

Probably, but they said that about us v UCD. I fully expect us to win, but anything can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

cork city are looking good too.Between them and shelbourne for the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

any news on john paul kelly for bohs.I see that he has made the bench lately.Coming from liverpool hes supposed to be a very good player. Class on fm 2005 too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Cant see us getting our 1st away win vs Cork tbh, point will be the best we could hope for.

Shels should beat Harps by a decent margin depends on whether Shels want more or not tbh.

kdjac

FRIDAY MAY 6
    EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
    Cork City 2-0 St Pat's 7.45
    Doyle 9
    Behan 23

Derry City 1-0 Waterford 8.00
    Hargan 8

Shamrock Rovers 2-1 Bray Wanderers 7.45
    McCourt 36, 45 James 28

UCD 0-0 Bohemians 7.45
    Shelbourne 1-0 Finn Harps 8.00
    Harris 38

Bugger.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cork have 3 now

Shels top scorer for the season does it again.

Header by Richie Baker puts Shels two up.

• Advertisement

Georgie Boy OG for St Pats against Cork :D

Shels hit 20 points, and remain unbeaten in the league.

Ah well could be worse......... /looks at Bohs :D

kdjac

Shels were alright today, poor in the first half in that we just couldn't break them down but dominated the second after a goal just before the half. Brilliant from the scouse in the build up for it! Jayo had another one disallowed, couldn't tell if it was right or not, similar enough to the one he went on to score.

More goals from McCourt though, he's fast turning into signing of the season so far. His first two goals, espically the first, were absolutley incredible. He's an amazing dribbler with the ball and knows where the goal is. I'd be amazed if he's at Rovers next year or even a few months from now for that matter. If he doesn't sign for someone like Cork/Drogheda/Shels than he'll probably go abroad.

He's from Derry isn't he. Does/has he play(ed) for Republic or Northern Ireland.

He is quality alright.

He's from Derry alright, I think I heard he's a senior international with one cap? I'm not sure, he's definitely got a few U21 caps anyway, for NI that is. He'll certinaly be getting called up to the NI senior squad very soon with goals like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I was in Dublin 2day and went to the Rovers match. That McCourt fella is excellent.

Pity the crowd was so small to see that display 2night. Great atmosphere though.

Rovers should be packing out Dalymount every fortnight. f**ing West-Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I don't know what to think about Shels so far this season. Yes we are top of the league but honestly their performances this season have been distinctly average. For example last night at the Finn Harps match Shels very average but yet get a comfortable win. Similar could be said about the 2-0 Longford win. i don't believe the other teams in the league are taking advantage of Shels average performances because when Shels really gel together later in the season they are going to be unstopable.

Wes Hoolahan: Best player in the eL. The lad deserves to play in England.

Wes Hoolahan: Best player in the eL. The lad deserves to play in England.

Why must we say this about every good player in this league? He's an exceptional player and he's playing in the Eircom League because he wants to, why must we measure the success of every player with weather they play in England or not? If he keeps up this form he'll get back in the Ireland squad and he'll get capped this time, he'll play champions league football and hopefully progress a few rounds too, why would he want to move to England just for the sake of it?

their performances this season have been distinctly average.

Its calling killing a game and getting points. Will do it more later in season but its the manner of how they score the goals thats the good football part.
    he's playing in the Eircom League because he wants to

Lets not be silly here, if the offer was better from England it be a case of follow the wes shaped blur.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Lets not be silly here, if the offer was better from England it be a case of follow the wes shaped blur.

kdjac

Depends from where, a top division one side or any premiership side yeah obviously, but Shels could match the wages of any other level in England, Coventry tried to sign him and couldn't when Peter Reid was in charge.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Depends from where, a top division one side or any premiership side yeah obviously, but Shels could match the wages of any other level in England, Coventry tried to sign him and couldn't when Peter Reid was in charge.

Obviously Shels can compete with some of the English clubs but no player is going turn down the chance to better themselves footballing or financially, Hawkins left us for Doncaster and lost out in money terms but the move seemed good footballing wise.

Would prefer to see young players playing here than 43 yr old ex div 3 players tho.

kdjac

If Wes Hoolahan felt England was the be all and end all of making it as a footballer he'd already be there though, put it this way he'd never do what Hawkins did and sign for someone like Doncaster anyway! I think it would have to be a good first division side or premiership side to get him away from Tolka, and they'd have to pay for him too, so he'll remain in the EL for the time being.

He still young wouldnt surprise me if he goes this season but obviously a humongus price tag wont help him.

How long he under contract for?

kdjac

I'm not sure but i think he signed a fairly big contract fairly recently so he wont be going on a free anytime soon anyway, I think he got a new deal around the time of our European run but I'm open to correction on that one.

Tbh your lot be the only ones who could rightly(in your eyes) bitch about a player leaving for better, we feed the league ffs so I well used to it.

But sometimes players are better than the league and should be playing elsewhere, Des Byrne for one 1st time he was with us €5 to watch him play every week was a bargain.

Didnt mind him leaving or any other who bettered themselves.
    kdjac

Advertisement