Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunphys comments

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Eh Everton are not the best team in Liverpool..

If you go purely on the league, yes they are placed higher, thus are arguably better..
    The table doesn't lie
    However, if you account of the fact that Liverpool have played close to 15 more games than Everton this season, it is no longer the case.`
    Jesus. Now i've heard it all :rolleyes:

We didn't have the chance to compete in the CL this season, so we weren't able to play those extra games, so you can't compare. And actually trying to justify this as a 'cause' is complete lunacy
    They had/have two very successful cup runs in the Carling Cup and Champions League respectively. If you allocate points (3 for a win, 1 for a draw and 0 for loss) to these matches and calculate the average points they collect from each game, I wonder would it be better or worse than Everton's haul in all compeitions also.
    Hold on a second here. League and Cup competitions are very different. Trying to allocate points for win and attach that to a league total of points is clutching at straws to be honest.
    Its a relatively fair way of working it out. Especially considering the record that Liverpool have in games directly following their CL matches..
    Fair. Rubbish. Lunacy would be a better description.

Perhaps a pat on the back to everton and a bit of humility...
    As has been argued before.. Who is the better team..

4th place in the PL

or

5th place in the PL and finalists of the CL and League Cup
    Well at the end of the season, the prizes reaped rather than lost chances are what will matter.
    Everton will have gained a CL spot and Liverpool may finish 5th and have won nothing.
    So it would turn out that finishing 4th is actually better than finishing 5th...

But i suppose we'll have to wait and see.. wont we.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

edited because i am thick and cannot add or multiply.. or spell...

eh points aren't used in cup competitions.... Very different styles of tournaments.

how about that.... how does that grab ya?

Its amazing the lengths you'll try and go to :rolleyes:

oh and just to be accurate.

Everton have played 36 PL games and won 18.

So by going by your 'maths' the result would be:

TO - AP - W - D

PL - 36 - 18 - 07
    LC - 03 - 02 - 00
    FA - 03 - 02 - 01

So 42 games, won 22 and drew 8.

22x3=66
    8x1=8
    Total=74

74/42 = 1.76

so you're 'conclusive' maths proves you wrong.... :p

and if you do your sums again. Liverpools is 1.64 not 1.69

I am blaming BBC for not having an up to date table online for one :)

Then I am going to blame windows calculator for me pressing the wrong keys :)

I think I will do this again :)

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/leaguetable.asp?cpid=8 this time

iverpool have played in the following tournaments and won the following number or games:

TO - AP - W - D

PL - 36 - 16 - 07
    LC - 06 - 05 - 00
    FA - 01 - 00 - 00
    CL - 14 - 09 - 03

So 57 games, won 30 and drew 10.

(90 + 10) / 57 = 1.75 points per game..

TO - AP - W - D

PL - 36 - 18 - 07
    LC - 03 - 02 - 00
    FA - 03 - 02 - 01

So 42 games, won 22 and drew 8.

(66 + 8) / 42 = 1.76 points per game..

DOH.. Everton have had a better overall season than Liverpool.. Ah well, I give up so :(

^^^ I don't know... they'll give a degree to anyone these days :rolleyes:

Thats what they called that then is it ;) mammy just said it was good. i didnt argue..

:D

If the pool beat Arsenal today our score will be better than yours :p

Jesus it felt so good saying that :p

• Advertisement

If the pool beat Arsenal today....

yes... if.... big IF.

and if liverpool draw or lose then WE ARE IN THE CHAMIONS LEAGUE and you are not and i couldnt care less about your makey uppy points average thinger majiggy...

please god make it happen :) I will sacrifice 10 lambs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Keano_sli wrote:
    Quote Of The Day
    So you've got to feel sorry for a side that gets all the way to the final, only to find, standing alongside them in the tunnel, not one of the best teams on the Continent, but not even the best team in Liverpool" - Eamon Dunphy, RTE football pundit and all-round nice chap!

Yes, i am sure when Ac line up in the tunnel and see the likes of traore and hyypia lining up against them they will be gutted.

i can just see it now, schcenko with a tear rolling down his chhek thinking to himself "its so unfair, i really wish we were playing juventues or chelsea"

:rolleyes:

i agree the champions league should be for winners of the compeition. I honestly dont know, but did AC win it last year or juve?

also the luck issue, everyone saying liverpool where lucky to get through, i agrre but milan haven been alot more lucky then us.

The only reason no one bats an eye lid on milan being there is because of the names of the team sheet. performance wise they have been very poor in the later stages of the CL.

Liverpool are there on merit, and deserve to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm a LFC fan and I have to congratulate Everton this season.....

But they will not be higher than 7th next season.....they'll have had their 5 mins of fame......and they will not even reach the "league stage" of the champions league next season.... :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I think whoever scores first will win. Liverpool beat Juve and Chelski by getting in front and staying there.

Liverpool played above themselves to get as far as they have, fair play, but it's 50% luck if you ask me, but that's football for you, it's what it makes knockout cups so enthralling.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The only reason no one bats an eye lid on milan being there is because of the names of the team sheet. performance wise they have been very poor in the later stages of the CL.

Never a truer word spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

mada999 wrote:
    I'm a LFC fan and I have to congratulate Everton this season.....

But they will not be higher than 7th next season.....they'll have had their 5 mins of fame......and they will not even reach the "league stage" of the champions league next season.... :D:D

It's further than Liverpool are gonna reach in the Champion's League next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just had a bit of an idea about what they Could do to still get the same number of teams in champs league (ie.money) but not be givin it to 3rd, 4th.. this might be a retarded thought but what if 1st 2 get in and then winners of the 2 cup competitions get in. would bring back effort in the cups with everyone really giving it a go. it would mean a lower team would never have a chance of winning either again as the bigger clubs would put in massive effort. actually its prob a stupid idea, but ****it i've written the post now may as well submit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Well done to EVERTON, Welcome to the Champions league. Enjoy the good times!
    Nice to see some Liverpool fans can congratulate Everton as well, there's some hope after all. ;)

BTW Did anybody else see the story at the weekend that Fergie was going to have the team applaude Chelsea onto the pitch at OT on Tuesday night. He has more repect for Mourhino the Wenger obviously, 'cause I couldn't ever see him doing that for the Gunners.

Advertisement