Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Laughs

Options
  • 06-05-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Well the acts for the Cat Laughs festival this year have been announced, and I am quite impressed with the talent its drawing this year - I look forward to seeing Bill Bailey, Dylan Moran and Omid Djalili myself :)

The full brochure is available for download in PDF format from http://www.thecatlaughs.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Looks like it's gonna be a good one! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Best lineup i've seen for it in ages anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Looks good alright. Getting tickets for some of the shows on Thurs and Fri night myself!

There is always a good atmosphere in town for it.

Just went into their box office (which is in the old brewery club building on parliament street, above the cellar bar) - they still haven't got any of the programmes in and won't have them until Tuesday afternoon. I will have to make do with a pdf version :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

whats the story when you book tickets.

your not assigned a seat i take it?im going to be going with a crowd of about ten-fifteen. how early should we arrive?

• Advertisement

It depends on the venue really and it's dependant on if there is a show on there before the one you are going to see. I never really had a problem getting a gang seated together. However it was only about 6-8 people as opposed to 10-15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Got tickets myself too for the sat and sunday. Going with about 8 others and my gf.
    Should be good craic..hopefully the weather will be nice and we'll get a few outdoor cans in sometime during the weekend.

I think seating is only assigned in the watergate.

thanks.

as always the size of the crew has reduced significantly and will be about 9/10. is it possible to get drink at the shows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

thanks.

as always the size of the crew has reduced significantly and will be about 9/10. is it possible to get drink at the shows?

Yep! ,most if not all venues have bars. top of the list.... Smithwicks! :D

• Advertisement

except the watergate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It has a bar...

John

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

...which is really expensive and is only open at the interval!

now that i ahve the tickets i can tell you all what im going to see! im going friday 3rd of june to see dara obrian. colin murphy and rich hall. its on in langtons. i presume this will be in the nightclub part of langtons?

will there be any nightclubs open for their usual business, i.e. no comedy justbooze n boogie? were heading out after and we have only ever been to langtons, which isnt bad but the layout makes everynight seem like a 21st.

what other nightclubs are worth a look?

I've tickets for that too! And the Thursday night Langton's show of Tommy Tiernan, Owen O´Neill, Lewis Black too.

Yeah it will be on in the niteclub bit.

Am sure all the niteclubs will be operating as normal on the night.

Yeah, they usually are open for business as usual after the comedy gigs. I'm going to see Omid Djalili (he's ****ing excellent), Tommy Tiernan and Jimeoin in Langtons on Friday, and then Bill Bailey in Langtons on Saturday, followd by Dylan Moran in the Watergate later on the same night :)

mick_irl wrote:
    Am sure all the niteclubs will be operating as normal on the night.

will langtons niteclub be open? dont really feel like walking so if it is ill just stay there!

Langtons is usually open after the comedy shows and you will usually be able to get in for free if you were at the show.

yeah but there is another show on after the one that Wheres Me Jumpa is going to.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I saw Dylan Moran and someone else in Langtons a few years ago and it was rubbish. The venue totally ruined it, too much noise from the bar. I hope they've sorted that out somehow.

• Advertisement

Was it in the nightclub bit at the back? I was at a show there a year or two ago and it was alright.

yeah the langtons set up as a whole has always been a bit weird. i can remember been there when i was a bit too young to be there...with my parents and we were sitting right at the wrought iron gates. these gates actually separated the bar from the nightclub.

is it still like this?

actually a friend of mine told me there is a show on where a whole host of comdeians get up for about 5 mins and do their thing. so you get 5 mins of the top comedians down there.

anyone hear about this? when where?

They are always held in the niteclub bar. I used to work there.
    Normally anyone who went to the last show(I think, or maybe any show that night) got into the niteclub for free. Although you couldnt just stay there, cos all the chairs had to be moved out and floors cleaned. Heavy bastardin' chairs too...
    Worst place I ever worked.

actually a friend of mine told me there is a show on where a whole host of comdeians get up for about 5 mins and do their thing. so you get 5 mins of the top comedians down there.

anyone hear about this? when where?

That's the "G'nite Cats" show that takes place on the Monday night. Was at it once. It normally goes on till about 3/4am. I fell out of the place at about 6am one year (thank god I only had to stagger across the street) and the party was still going strong at that stage!

sounds good!

ive got my dates mixed up and i was sure it was next weekend, only found out tonite were a bit away still, i cant wait for it.

mick_irl wrote:
    That's the "G'nite Cats" show that takes place on the Monday night. Was at it once. It normally goes on till about 3/4am. I fell out of the place at about 6am one year (thank god I only had to stagger across the street) and the party was still going strong at that stage!

Twas in Langtons there the year before last and the year before that.
    The gardai closed the place at 2 one year though,.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭the_viper2kie

Hey,

Cat laughs is probably the best festival in Ireland all year. Been going to it for years but unfortunatly this year i'm gonna be in America for it! Just a few things to note. If you are young i.e. college student or in school I would definatly recommend going into the box office and ask can you volunteer. You do a small bit of work, checking tickets at the door of the venue or moving chairs when its over-like getting the nightclub ready in langtons and stuff. For your troubles you then get to see all the shows...free of charge! they give you a pass with your photo on it and if the venue which you are placed has no shows you can walk into any of the other places. When all the shows are finished in town theres an after-show party on in different hotels around the city and you get to hang with all the comedians with free beer being served-used to be all murphys and heineken so i presume it'll be diago drinks now.
    Not exactly allowed but if some of your mates turn up and you're working on the door it is possible to slip them in free of charge and let them sit at the back.
    I've done it about three years in a row and really makes a great weekend! Group of friends did it together and while we weren;t placed together you still see a load of gigs and by the end of the week you will have a pain in your side from laughing.
    Another thing is there is usually some other free stuff on in the day like short films and stuff that can be quite good. You should note that this is one of the only comedy festival in the world that the comedians love coming to because its not a competition like edinborough. Its a lot more relaxed and you'll find they put on much better shows occasionally taking the piss out of one another and stuff. Ah i'm really sorry i'm gonna miss it now!
    Oh yeah and if you are a little bit older and between jobs or something there are a few positions available where you get paid on top of all the stuff mentioned above.

Enjoy all,

HK

by any chance do people know if the show im going to is sold out yet?

its this show..

friday 3rd june
    7.45–9.30
    Rich Hall, Colin Murphy, Dara Ó Briain
    Host: Neil Delamere 105mins

Langton’s

i need an extra ticket. if anybody wants to part with one ill take it.

• Advertisement

As far as I know all the shows in Langtons are sold out.

Advertisement