Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers and Blue tooth?

Options
  • 06-05-2005 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Can anybody explain to me what exactly you would use a Wireless Lan Modem Router for?

Also what can you use Blue Tooth connection for? Aldi will have a device for Bluetooth connection for sale next week. If I buy one can I use Broadband Internet on my PC and Laptop simultaneously? Do I need to buy one Blue tooth device for my laptop and a separate one for my PC?
    Jess

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Wireless LAN Modem router, it is a modem router but with wireless capibilities, so in general any computers with wireless LAN (Ethernet) card can connect to it... mainly for sharing internet...

Bluetooth lets devices communicate wirelessly with each other, it is not the same as LAN but will do the job. Unfortunately bluetooth is not as fast as Ethernet.

Try searching this board, you should be able to find threads about sharing broadband using wireless technology... :p

p/s : try www.wikipedia.org which might give u more definitive answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Bluetooth is mostly used as a cable replacement technology - i.e. you can use it to transfer media to and from your mobile phone instead of a data cable, you can use it to use your mobile as a modem if it supports it, etc. Basically if you want to share your broadband connection between your laptop and PC get the dsl modem/router/wireless device.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bluetooth isn't just about mobile phones; it's effectively a short-range wireless version of USB. I reckon it has yet to come into its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Like i said its a cable replacement technology - you can get bluetooth adaptors for printers and stuff. The one problem with it is its limited speed (< 1mbps)

Advertisement