Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pinholing my bb router for Bit torrent downloads

• 06-05-2005 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im having trouble with downloading files in Bittorrent, even though I have seemingly pinholed my broadband router. I have the following two pinhole entries.

Pinhole Name: btorrent_tcp
    Protocol Select: TCP
    External Port Start: 6881
    External Port End: 6889
    Internal IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Internal Port: 6881

Pinhole Name: btorrent_UDP
    Protocol Select: UDP
    External Port Start: 6881
    External Port End: 6889
    Internal Port: 6881

I am running windows XP professional edition service pack 2. I have the firewall turned off and I am using an eircom wireless router, with the model number Netopia Model 3347W Wireless DSL Ethernet Switch. Is there anything else I need to do to improve my connection speeds. I am getting on average 5k/sec with a top speed of 15k/sec. I have alot of peers and seeds for the downloads also, so that does not appear to be the problem.

Any ideas appreciated, cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I think you have to input your external ip address some where along the line. to find this "enter ipconfig /all" on the command line. I also remember something about having a fixed internal ip & not dynamic...
    www.edonkey.com have this well documented on thier forums i'm sure it would work the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I made a pinhole this morning and now everything is fine.

I followed this guide: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1834810&postcount=2

I dont think it worked at first so I changed the internal IP address suggested in the guide to the ip address that I found in /ipconfig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

I've tried all that and set up everything as it should be, but my speeds are still slow. For example now, Im downloading a file that is 1.4 gigs in size and it has 10 peers and 7 seeds. Im downloading it at 6 - 10k sec and the light in bit tornado is yellow. Is there any changes I need to make to the program in order to improve things ??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

It could be the connections at the other end are crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

try a different port above 10000, was the advise i got and it seems to have helped.

i'm also using bitlord which is (imho) better than bittornado or azureus etc.

check on https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and do a port probe of the port you are trying to use, and see if it's actually open to remote connections.

if it's not then you know your problem.

if it is, then try a new port higher up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well I'm using the same router as you, and I followed the same steps as stated in that guide. As I said, it didnt work for me at first, so I changed my internal IP to the one that I got from /ipconfig .

The router restarted and a few hours later everything got the green light. Although in saying that 1 of my torrents has a yellow light at the moment, but the rest are fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

By the way I was able to get it all working. The settings I had initially in my router were fine. I had to configure my BitTornado client to use the ports from 6881 to 6889. My downloads now fly along at 80k/sec on a file with alot of seeds.

To do this, click on 'prefs' on the top right, in BotTornado and in the port range window, on the top right, enter 6881 as the 'from' value and 6889 as the 'to' value. If 'randomise' is selected, then deselect it, and click on 'save' at the bottom left of that window.

You may need to wait a while, but try this on a new torrent with loads of seeds and your downloads will be much improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stevejpk

Hi,
    I need help, please.
    I just got a Netopia router with Eircom. (Had the Iol BB first, worked ok for me), but having trouble with Netopia.
    My BT download rates are very slow, 3kB/s !!
    I read the post on pinholing, but I can't seem to find how to do it? if anyone can help, please, could do with a step by step :)
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

For the original poster, I put in a separate pinhole for each individual port and it worked fine after that. Also, make sure you have your firewall software configured accordingly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Thank you, that was the final piece in the jigsaw configuring my BT client, it's all Green again!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Anyone know if there is a option in azureus to configure what ports it uses(similar to what the original poster used to fix his problem)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 rfoley

Yeah, go to tools - configuration wizard

First select your connection type - then type in the port number you want (eg 1234), hit test and you should see a text saying "Testing port 1234 ... OK!"

If it's OK! Hit next and then finish and you're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

just do DMZ dude and get a software firewall, sounds a good deal easier than this...

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭capistrano

pontovic wrote:
    I'm not familliar with this router, but this IP address looks like it might be the router's IP address. I think you should put you PC's IP address here. Traffic on the BT ports will get forwarded to this IP address.

Advertisement