Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL won't sync >:(

• 06-05-2005 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I've been having a really annoying problem since the line upgrades happened.

Whenever I switch off or restart my router, the line won't sync again for hours. The DSL Sync lights comes on.. flashes for a while and goes off.. the it comes on again... Absolutely no net connection. Eventually, I mean after a few hours, it seems to settle down and reconnect. This is very frustrating as a restart is required when I want to change pinhole settings etc..

Before the upgrades the modem would take a few seconds to sync.

I called Eircom just after the upgrades and they couldn't have been more inept. I don't think I have the patience to listen to them suggesting that pushing the reset button and using a different phone cable will solve all my problems.. :rolleyes:

'Tis very odd. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My friend has the same problem as yourself, but he came up with his own solution, I can't verify it though but sure its worth a try.

Once your modem loses Sync, pick up your home phone and dial any number, your modem should soon re-sync.

Sounds strange, but he swears it works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

unplug all your phones, and see does that improve anything. If so, faulty phone connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Possibly a dodgy filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If you can't seem to get it working after a while, it may just be worth requesting an engineer to come to the house.

If the problem is exchange-side then thats the only way you'll way out. I was tearing my hair out wondering why my DSL wouldnt sync until I got an engineer out who ended up just replacing a knackered compenent in the exchange.

If the problem is on your end then you'll probably have to foot the €60 call out charge. A load of ****e, but it may just be the only way to get it fixed

Oh and I presume you tried everything the Eircom guys told you which probably went a long the lines of "use the purple wire" and "just plug the router into your main phone socket with the purple wire".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

My friend has the same problem as yourself, but he came up with his own solution, I can't verify it though but sure its worth a try.

Once your modem loses Sync, pick up your home phone and dial any number, your modem should soon re-sync.

Sounds strange, but he swears it works!

Believe it or not that worked! It seems to sync after 2 or 3 attempts if I'm on a call at the same time. Very strange. I'm fairly sure the problem started when the speed increase was introduced.

Well that's sort of a solution :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

Had this same problem. It was down to a loose connection on the extension wiring. Once I fixed the wiring, modem connects immediately and never drops.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

You mean the phone socket itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Lockup

The master socket has 2 extensions running from it. I reattached the connections on the little junction box for the extensions and haven't had a problem since.

Advertisement