Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have a read of this.

• 06-05-2005 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=45

A regualr poster on the ShelsWeb forums (not me :p ) wrote this piece, and it was put up on the main page.

What do you all think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The guy is missing the point. For one thing he tries to make out that REAL supports don't care about the quality of 'their' team and that armchair fans make it issue #1 on their list of prioritys for watching a game.

However, I've noticed that Irish don't even have a barometer for 'quality', they merely love 'an occasion' and it doesn't matter what that occasion is. If you could convince 30,000 Irishmen to huddle round a bucket of **** there'd be another 30k waiting in the wings looking for tickets to this 'event'.

The reason IMHO a majority of people in this country don't go to matches isn't because the quality is bad, it's because they goto 1 game or look at highlights on the news and see 3/4's empty grounds and think 'well, whats the point? no one else rates or cares about this experience!'. Damian Duff could sign for Shels tommorow and he still wouldn't increase attenances 5% at Tolka in the longterm because of this perception.

If EL clubs really wanted to get full house's every Friday (other than cutting ticket prices in half and letting kids in for free) they should stop begging the public to 'come along' and instead do the exact opposite by creating a general air of exclusivity in the media that states 'don't bother Joe, this place is too good for you' or 'you can't come in'. Guarentee you, within minutes the lemmings would be queuing up in their droves & beating the gates down to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    However, I've noticed that Irish don't even have a barometer for 'quality', they merely love 'an occasion' and it doesn't matter what that occasion is.
    Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pigman II wrote:

However, I've noticed that Irish don't even have a barometer for 'quality', they merely love 'an occasion' and it doesn't matter what that occasion is. If you could convince 30,000 Irishmen to huddle round a bucket of **** there'd be another 30k waiting in the wings looking for tickets to this 'event'.

Nail head hammer.

Qualtiy is there just as much as it is in any league there are good games and bad games, just TV has a knack of picking the ****e games game after game without fail. Pats and Bohs this season fairly crap tv wise, Pats and Shels not on tv cracking match.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

you dont attract any new people to follow eircom league football by spending an entire article implying how very much less irish people are if they enjoy watching premiership football

i try my best to keep up with how shels are doing but the fact that all the matches are on friday night means i can never make it during the summer due to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement