Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Region Query

Options
  • 07-05-2005 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

It depends... lots of DVD players are region 1 compatible. It may be Region 0 if it's in black and white...

I've a lot of Region 1 DVDs here I bought online (back in the days when I had a job and money... *sniff*) and they're all fine in my DVD player but I've a Region 0 movie here that's black and white on the PC but colour on the DVD player

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You'll probably get a more dedicated answer here! Toodle pip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Your TV isnt NTSC compatible hence the Black and white ness, play it on your pc.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If it was a proper retail disc bought in the US it is region 1. It is not uncommon for US discs not to be marked ,a great deal of Americans are not really aware of the world outside the US so non-US DVDs are a rarity.

It plays in B/W on your telly because the telly is not NTSC compatible. Your DVD player is probably region free.

It most likely will not play on your PC because the DVD drive has a region lock. Find out the model of your drive and search the web for region hacked firmware for it. Be careful, flashing the firmware can fuk up your drive if it is done wrong.

You may also need software to get around the region lock on your pc's dvd player software. http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_dvdrk_1.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Did you buy a disc or a player? If it is a disc the only issue is the region code. I am correct in saying that DVD discs are not encoded in PAL or NTSC as it is your DVD player that outputs the signal in PAL or NTSC? I do know that older DVD players have problems with Region 0 discs for some reason and the B&W issue is quite common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The disc is encoded in either PAL or NTSC - the number of lines is different, and the number of frames per second can be different, although it's rare - usually the disc has 24 frames per second and the player either plays this as 50 half-frames per second for PAL (shortening the movie in the process) or uses a clever system called 3:2 pulldown to play it as 60 half-frames per second for NTSC.
    The DVD standard requires the player to regenerate the appropriate colour signal, but some high-end players can play an NTSC DVD in something called PAL-60, which most PAL-only TVs can handle. Some even-higher end players can play an NTSC disc in PAL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Interesting. I was told recently by somebody who I regard as an expert that DVD's were not encoded in either PAL or NTSC and the output encoding was down by the player reading the source code on the disc.

Advertisement