Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Races Accomadation

Options
  • 07-05-2005 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭

i am looking for a hotel room for my father for the week of the galway races and **** me thinking i am early and the all the places are booked out. He wants somwhere close in town but as he doesnt want to get bothered with taxis and ****. He aint bothered about getting to the course as the buses are very good.

Any ideas of where to try,He would prefer a hotel.

Anyway been offered a place to stay in oranmore for the thursday night (ladies night so i am told) so might book 2 days off work and head up. cant turn an offer like that down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

is €600 euro for 2 nights a lot for a single room in galway race week?

i cane get rooms on this site but the prices are huge. Whats the noraml rate and why is it that hotels which are booked out still have rooms availabe on these sites.

http://www.octopustravel.com/Home.jsp;jsessionid=00001uMkSK1_sQiWHgWxSnsmPl_:10anvqmcv?currency=EUR&dest=CGWY&siteid=googleie&page=SearchHotels.jsp%3f&country=EI

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

I live in ballybrit, and 600 for two nights is crazy man, race time or not!! you'd be mad to pay that kind of money. cant think of anywhere else though. if i find anyone letting a room that week, ill post the details on this thread!
    PS-Well worth your while coming up for ladies day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Where about's in Oranmore are you going to, cause if ya want i can show you the best places to go for a pint as most of the pubs look "nice" and "quaint" but most of them are s**t.

Anyway, if you're interested give me a quick PM or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Please disregard my attempt at hospitality... most people mistake it for homosexuality. Anyway, have fun in O-Side.... Blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭irishgeo

havent a clue where abouts i am staying, It was an offer on a bank holiday sunday after a long day drinking so it may not come about. if its mentioned again by the same fella ill take it as gospel. Until them its a booking thats needs confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My family (Other house) rent rooms for race week... not sure on prices but it aint anything like 600 for 2 nights! You can get a basic room package with TV etc. and I think a Breakfast (if you ask nicely!)

The house is in Renmore, about 2 miles from city centre,on the east (Closer to the race course) busses leave every 25 mins from outside the estate into town until 23:30 at night

PM me if you want more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

We might be renting out our house for race week. 4 bedroom townhouse not far from Ballybrit with sitting room, kitchen and balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Where about's in Oranmore are you going to, cause if ya want i can show you the best places to go for a pint as most of the pubs look "nice" and "quaint" but most of them are s**t.

Anyway, if you're interested give me a quick PM or whatever.

And so the best places to go in oranmore are ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm away race week and could let my room out. Nice room on Mill street, no frills or breakfast but it's next to Garda station so just 2 minutes walk into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Webbs wrote: »
    And so the best places to go in oranmore are ?

1. Olde Brewrey - Great Drink, Great Music, Great Crowd
    2. Mc Donaghs AKA The Tatch - a bit small inside but if weather is good you can go out the back.

Others:
    The Coach House will be doing a BBQ. They only opened last year on the weekend before the races. The food was expensive but came down in price as the week went on. I find it a bit snobby myself.
    Keanes is a big venue and would be idle for big crowds. Don't go there that much.
    O'Riordins - They are making an effort and its not a bad pub but it would be the last one I'd go into.

Forget about Quality Hotel or Oranmore Lodge - they are too far from the craic in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Maaddoog wrote: »
    Hpe I can help if anyones interested,Hurry hurry! I have a 7 bedroom house to let for Galway Race Week.Sleeps up to 10 people. Fully furnished, all mod cons incl TV-4 bathrooms with showers- Bed linen provided- sorry no breakfast - 10 mins walk to city center. Bus stops right outside the door.
    €2,500.00 from Sun to Sun or €500 per night. First come first served. Deposit required fully refundable on departure. Contact Tom on 086-8533888.

Two and a half grand for the week! :eek:

I trust you're paying tax on that....right?

<<<<

>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Well the Galway Races is the place to have been seen when Revenue come a knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Zzippy wrote: »
    Two and a half grand for the week! :eek:

I trust you're paying tax on that....right?

<<<<

>>>>

that sounds like quite good value tbh. race week = expensive and 250 a head for the week looks cgrand

po0k wrote: »
    Well the Galway Races is the place to have been seen when Revenue come a knocking.

Yes. I eh, won that money... on a horse. Honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

No FF tent this year. ;_; Are the builders homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

irishgeo wrote: »
    is €600 euro for 2 nights a lot for a single room in galway race week?

i cane get rooms on this site but the prices are huge. Whats the noraml rate and why is it that hotels which are booked out still have rooms availabe on these sites.

http://www.octopustravel.com/Home.jsp;jsessionid=00001uMkSK1_sQiWHgWxSnsmPl_:10anvqmcv?currency=EUR&dest=CGWY&siteid=googleie&page=SearchHotels.jsp%3f&country=EI

That sounds way to much, a 3 bed penthouse where I work 7nights 895 you can sleep up to 6ppl. Dont think there are any left though they book out quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

299 I believe the amount they can legally charge for a night per the irish tourist board (though they can add it breakfast and the like in addition). Many places will charge it for that week.

I can tell you that the hotel I work at is booked for the wednesday, thursday, and friday nights and quickly working on the tuesday and saturday nights. Were it available, it would run you about 250 a night, where generally a single would be about 70 a weeknight or 140 for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 squirterist

Hello, I am renting out my cottage for race week. It's just before claregalway a 5 min drive to racecourse(busses pass by)Has 4 single beds and a double,(all towels and bed clothes provided) 3 bathrooms.Suitable for 6 people.Its 50 per person per night. (Ideally, we would like 6 people for 5-6 nights) Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks :)

Hello, I am renting out my cottage for race week. It's just before claregalway a 5 min drive to racecourse(busses pass by)Has 4 single beds and a double,(all towels and bed clothes provided) 3 bathrooms.Suitable for 6 people.Its 50 per person per night. (Ideally, we would like 6 people for 5-6 nights) Please let me know if you are interested. Thanks :)

As said above... certainly you're declaring this to the Revenue, right?

Wouldn't it be a pain in the hole to think you were about to make a small fortune race week, robbing people by charging them a fortune for accomodation... only to be busted by the Revenue... lolz :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wenlock

I'm staying in the Clayton Hotel. It's in Ballybrit too and it's the closest one I could find to the race course cause I don't want the hassle of taxis and buses...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Wenlock wrote: »
    I'm staying in the Clayton Hotel. It's in Ballybrit too and it's the closest one I could find to the race course cause I don't want the hassle of taxis and buses...

That's right across the road I think but....you can't really cross the road too easily as it's a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

That's right across the road I think but....you can't really cross the road too easily as it's a dual carriageway.

Yep, but the road will practically be a car park during race week, so I wouldn't worry. Thats said, the clayton being the closest hotel to the races, is no doubt booked up.

There's an underpass right beside the Clayton, so you don't have to cross the road at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Clayton is a good spot. There was good craic there last year but if you are not a regular or a resident it can be hard to get in there for a drink. They don't serve Heineken there either as Guinness do buy them out.
    JP McManus had a full floor booked there last year.
    I heard from a very good source that Giovanni Trapattoni cannot get a room in Galway and he might be staying in Loughrea.

sgthighway wrote: »
    Clayton is a good spot. There was good craic there last year but if you are not a regular or a resident it can be hard to get in there for a drink. They don't serve Heineken there either as Guinness do buy them out.
    JP McManus had a full floor booked there last year.
    I heard from a very good source that Giovanni Trapattoni cannot get a room in Galway and he might be staying in Loughrea.

We went in there a couple of days after the races last year and had no problems getting in, no questions about were we residents or regulars. Was good craic alright, loads of room and they had outside bars set up too. Great for a few pints while the traffic clears then head into town

Zzippy wrote: »
    We went in there a couple of days after the races last year and had no problems getting in, no questions about were we residents or regulars. Was good craic alright, loads of room and they had outside bars set up too. Great for a few pints while the traffic clears then head into town

The bus back in from the Races can be good craic too if you're in the right spirit :D

Advertisement