Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting online with Knoppix

• 07-05-2005 1:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Hey, did a search but couldn't find anything too similar to this problem...

I installed Knoppix on my laptop and can't get online with it.

It's Knoppix 3.6 and I've got it installed as the only OS on the laptop.

Tried using netcardconfig as root and chose DHCP broadcast, that didn't work... tried no DHCP broadcast with:
    IP address for eth0: 192.168.0.1
    Network Mask for eth0: 255.255.255.0
    Broadcast Address for eth0: 192.168.0.255
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.254
    Nameserver (s): 192.168.0.254

These were all the default values as I don't know how to change them...
    Can't get online...

The router is a ZyXel (the one you get with IolBB) but my ISP is Eircom...
    The ethernet card is a Xircom 10/100 RE-100 (I'm not even sure what information is needed about the ethernet card... have it ages so don't know the full make or anything)

I've also tried using the ADSL/PPPoE Configurator... it finds eth0 but then says:
    Sorry, I scanned 1 interface(s), but the Access Concentrator of your provider did not respond. Please check your network and modem cables. Another reason for the scan failure may also be another running pppoe process which controls the modem.

I'm pretty much a complete Linux noob so I have no idea what to do here... anyone have any (newb-friendy) advice on getting online with this setup?

Cheers.
    Steve

Advertisement