Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PoTB filtering?

• 07-05-2005 2:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any way to filter certain blogs out of the front page listing on planetoftheblogs? To be honest, I could do without an entire screen full of ****e about NI politics :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

I've noticed this too.... there's certain blogs that seem to post 20 entries at a time and they drown out (or whatever the non-sound equivalent is) all the other entries...

And they're nearly always, as Stephen says, NI political blogs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I think I'll have to remove any spam blogs we identify (NI or otherwise).

Only other option is to subscribe to the feed in your news reader and filter out certain words.

How about categories? Or having group blogs seperate to single user blogs since the only blogs that seem to clutter up the page are group blogs like Slugger O'Toole (sorry to be pointing fingers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

In the weeks leading up to the elections in NI a lot of those blogs were a lot more active than they would be normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Another issue i've noticed is that PoTB timestamps posts with the time used by the blogs themselves rather than the time the posts were actually made, which allows posts from blogs with clocks set to some time in the future sit at the top of PoTB for ages - look at the cork university press post that is currently at the top of PoTB, allegedly posted at 8.15 tomorrow morning... right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

You could always use RSS Mix - http://rssmix.com/ to add all the blogs from POTB you want into a single feed.

Stephen wrote:
    look at the cork university press post that is currently at the top of PoTB, allegedly posted at 8.15 tomorrow morning... right.
    The Cork University Press one is rather annoying alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yup, post-dating like that is a bit cheeky!

BuffyBot wrote:
    It might not have been intentional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

If you only showed the most recent entry from each blog (or the first post from the blog that day to avoid blog-bumping) it would stop spammy blogs from taking up half the page.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    My blog seems to have all the times about 6 hours into the future... which is annoying cos no matter what I do it doesn't seem to change :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dangerman

steveland? wrote:
    My blog seems to have all the times about 6 hours into the future... which is annoying cos no matter what I do it doesn't seem to change :(

forgive me if this is obvious; but did you check the options in your wordpress control panel? Options >> General >> Check the UTC time and then check the "Times in the weblog should differ by" amount.

I did... it still doesn't change them :(

Edit: Holy jaysis I'm an idiot.......... thanks dangerman :)

Stephen wrote:
    Another issue i've noticed is that PoTB timestamps posts with the time used by the blogs themselves rather than the time the posts were actually made, which allows posts from blogs with clocks set to some time in the future sit at the top of PoTB for ages - look at the cork university press post that is currently at the top of PoTB, allegedly posted at 8.15 tomorrow morning... right.
    http://corkuniversitypress.typepad.com/cork_university_press/2005/05/w_do_you_increa.html

Latest post is a little fishy considering the tactics of keeping it at the top of the list..

If you don't want to click it and support their cheeky tactics:
    How do you increase traffic to your website?

Well the link is certainly prominent.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

CaptSolo has written a modification that stops stuff in the future from displaying; I'll install it now.

Spammy blogs - yes, will either have to limit the number of posts per blog retrieved or drop the spammy blogs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It appears that post dated blogs are still appearing at the top of the list :/

Advertisement