Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Firewall blocking my e-mail all of a sudden.

• 07-05-2005 7:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

For some reason, about a week ago Norton Internet Security began blocking my e-mail. It would show as a time-out in Outlook. I can ping the pop and smtp servers with the firewall running but to send or receive any mail I have to turn off the firewall (not a great idea with a pretty static IP address and a PC that's on pretty much 24/7).
    Windows (XP SP2) firewall is off and Norton firewall is setup to allow all traffic for Outlook. Is there any other program or service I need to set permission for that Outlook uses?
    Norton and Windows are set to auto update so I guess that's where the problem started.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I don't know the workings of NAV so just general email connectivity test.

Do you have any spam filters that intercept the email before it gets to outlook (mail washer / spambayes etc.) as then you'd have to allow it to collect the email as well as outlook.

You can use TELNET to try to talk to the email server to see if you get a response or not, and to see how the Firewall reacts like asking you if TELNET is to be a trusted app.

start - run - telnet mail.eircom.net 25
    helo

start - run - telnet mail.eircom.net 110
    user ACCOUNTNAME
    pass PASSWORD

(instead of telnet you might be able to use - programs - commnications - hyperterminal - connect using winsock tcp/ip )

http://exchange.mvps.org/smtp_frames.htm
    http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Telnet-Exchange2003-POP3-SMTP-Troubleshooting.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I have seen that happen with norton 2003.

My understanding of norton is that it has it's own smtp and POP3 server and captures mail going to and from your mail server , scans it and then releases it back to the mail server.

For some reason with us, norton held the mail or times out scanning it.

We rebooted and it worked for a while but got worse and worse.

Had to reinstally norton to get it working properly. Assume it was a reg problem but never really found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I had a similar prob with norton a few weeks ago... Nothing sorted it ,on thier site they claimed to have a patch to sort it -no such thing. Tried everything including reinstalling norton, no joy. I have uninstalled Norton & am no using McAfee Internet security suite with out any probs. BTW no yearly subscribtions either & updates EVERY day

Advertisement