Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decking

• 07-05-2005 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

I was thinking about getting some decking, and have read most of the previous posts related to it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with mice, I have been told to expect this with decking!!

AL.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

no probs yet, although new house with big walls around the garden...they might need more time to move in ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Mice why?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭alanc

Not 100% sure, thought it was becasue they might be staying closer to the house under the decking.

AL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

Did you buy pre assembled decking or did you get your own parts and build it yourself ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I've also been advised to think twice about getting decking because its a perfect place for mice and rats to get under, and they eat crumbs etc that make their way down. Seeing as I have young childern, its not a very attractive though. Has anyone had any problems in practice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I've also been advised to think twice about getting decking because its a perfect place for mice and rats to get under, and they eat crumbs etc that make their way down. Seeing as I have young childern, its not a very attractive though. Has anyone had any problems in practice?
    If you put a mesh fence over any gaps only flys and spiders can get through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

DannyD wrote:
    If you put a mesh fence over any gaps only flys and spiders can get through.

Can they not tunnel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Unless you eat a ton of food on the deck there isn't enough food for them. It really depends where you live. If you put out a deck in a rural type of location it gives the pests some where else to hide but the deck doesn't attract them. They are there anyway.

You can put in a mesh to stop them as mentioned. If put it in correctly they can't tunnel under it. In saying that they can stay under patio slabs as easily all they need is a opening

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Your decking , should be decked around the perimeter of the main deck, sealing the access to the underneath of the main deck supports. Your deck boards will have a gap of about 4 mm between each board. This will definitely keep rats out, and should also keep out mice.

Routine cleaning and maintainence should highlight any potential intrusion by furry friends. In the case of an elevated deck, you could leave the underneath open, and clean. Rats would seek covered protected areas, and are unlikely to congregate under a wide open deck.

Rats and mice need a food source, and if you keep the area clean and food free, they wont be interested in your decked area.

Of course considering rats teeth are harder than some metals, they have no problem chewing through concrete blocks. But thats not going to stop you living in a house, is it. :D

kadman :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I built a raised deck outside the back of my house and never even considered this. But, bearing in mind that a mouse will get through a gap the diameter of a Bic pen, I don't think wire mesh is going to do much. Think of the deck as a good place to put bait, inside a length of pipe. If they're going in there, they'll prob head for that straight away. Alternatively, get a cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

doesn't matter what kind of measures you put in to keep a mouse out, they'll squeeze through the eye of a needle.
    Had deck down for 5 yrs.
    2 small kids. Never had issues with mice...food dropped on it all the time.
    Nothing wrong with sweeping it up after.
    Birds will clear up the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madchef

:eek:
    alanc wrote:
    I was thinking about getting some decking, and have read most of the previous posts related to it. I was just wondering if anyone has had any problems with mice, I have been told to expect this with decking!!

AL.
    Buy a cat!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

I make a point of leaving out food for any animals that live under my decking. POISON.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭pollyantic

This is just scare mongering by people who for no good reason, like to find fault with others.
    You have mice and rats in your garden anyway. probably even in your house.
    Decking wont encourage them any more than they are encouraged already.
    Even if you dont have cats, rest assured that if there are rodents under your deck an neighbours cats will find them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Real

Ive had a problem with spiders under and on my decking. When you walk across it they run and scurry away from in from of your feet. I think they like to live between the deck and the waterproof membrane underneath.

Im still looking for some good nuclear level spider killer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭maco

I have decking for 2 years already, I don't have those problems. I would advice you to have one, it's very usefull . . . if they come just deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I built an elevated deck attached to the back of ny house, there are plenty of points of access for rodents but I've never had any problems.

Advertisement