Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brixton Academy +travel arragenments

Options
  • 07-05-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

greetings.
    im going to see system of a down june 5th in brixton accademy in london,iv never been to london+know its about 10times bigger than dublin,so would like bit of advice as to what airport might be best to fly into to get the handiest/cheapest public transport to the venue and maybe any suggestions for hostels?any help would be greatfully appreciated. graci

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

lol, I was gonna ask the same thing as I'm headin to Audioslave on 20th june in Brixton Academy. Enjoy System!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

lol, I was gonna ask the same thing as I'm headin to Audioslave on 20th june in Brixton Academy. Enjoy System!

i plan to but the travelling is beginning to look like a nitemare, i hate being the responsible one!!hopefully i can return with some advice for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

use heathrow as its the handiest for getting into london.the tube goes straight from there to the city centre. look up the uk ticketmaster site and it will give u a map of the area around the venue and show the nearest tube stop.
    for cheapest fares to heathrow i found bmi to be the best value.
    good luck and enjoy ur stay in london. you'll wanna go back.its a great place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The Brixton Academy is very near both brixton tube station and Brixton mainline station, there are also several bus routes and one night bus that goes by.
    If you fly into Heathrow or London City Airport just buy a travelcard for the required zones. That is relatively inexpensive, particularly off peak (after 9.30am Mon-Fri and all day Sat/Sun) and is valid on all transport (tube, national rail, bus and night bus) in the selected zones. They are valid up to 4.30am the following day so they can be used for night buses.

If you fly into Gatwick, Stansted or Luton then you will have to get a train or coach to central London seperately and then buy a travelcard.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk has all the fares and maps for London transport and a very good journey planner for all modes.

much appreciated many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

If you find a cheapo flight to Gatwick you can get the Gatwick express to London Victoria. You should be able to get some decent accomodation around Victoria.Brixton is on the Victoria line also so it wont be far to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I fly over about once a year & always fly to Gatwick. Don't get the Gatwick express though.
    Just buy a day ticket in the airport at the train ticket desk for one of the local trains that goes to London - it does you from the airport into the city & also covers the rest of the day on the tube, bus etc - costs £10 (ish - haven't been for a year, so might have gone up).. Way cheaper than getting the Gatwick express & only takes about 40mins to the city centre.

The Gatwick express costs about a fiver more I just thought it would be a handier explaination. The normal London-Victoria will take about 45 mins with a couple of stops compared to Heathrows journey around the world. Gatwick flights are fairly cheap during the week too.

I am currently living in South East London and will be going to Motley Crue, Weezer and Audioslave. Hope to meet up with anyone traveeling for a few scoops!!!

im sure you could reccommend us a few good bars/clubs in the area that might provide refreshment and quality musical entertainment?

One thing I will say is that Brixton is crap for drinking in . Everyone gets cans which is grand once its warm. There is a pub beside the Academy which puts the pints up 50p in time slots as it gets closer to the gig. Wetherspoons pubs are ok if you have a good crowd with ya cos the drink is dead cheap, £1.50 a pint,£2.50 double vod and red bull.

• Advertisement
Advertisement