Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Come on... Own up

• 07-05-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭

Any of you wanna own up to this? I know there's a few computer science people here...

(Third year Comp Sci)
    Preparing for Wednesdays exam in Information Systems, having to do double the work thanks to some idiots big mouth! Initially we could just study half the course (and still get 100% on the exam), which, unknown to the lecturer, we had covered in second year! Here we were thinking "Excellent!" As ya do! :D Well, about 2 weeks from the end of term, some uber-brown-tongued-geek-of-doom decided to point this out to the lecturer! I mean! WHY?!?! Does it actually hurt to be that stupid? (I know, I'm saying geek and stupid, but seriously...!). So obviously he's chnging the layout and question structure etc.

Nothing I can do, and realistically I shouldn't complain. But it was allowing work to be put (briefly) into other subjects. I just hate all those uber-nerds that seem to get kicks out of making exams harder for everyone else just because they think the lecturer is their best friend or something! I think about 95% of the course were looking forward to this exam initially, everyone's furious!

It's funny, but so so infuriating! :mad: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Beat them up, seriously......

In Trinner, we had copies of the old MCQ questions going back decades - they repeat a lot and so you don't just get practise. This is completely unknown to the department which proved a great advantage, but I would HATE to be the person that did tell, they would never have survived the onslaught......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Thank god we don't really have any of them. Our class is quite small and the offending person would probably never be forgiven! :)

Seriously tho' that's a right pain in the ass. Did anyone ask this geek the obvious question - WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

There's tonne sof them. They probably thanked him for giving them reasons to spend more time in their rooms! I wasn't at the lecture, cuz, well, I thought it was to be an easy exam! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

yeah there's about 10 of the dungeons and dragons playing,spotty, leather wearing comic book guys in our class,it was deffo one of them and we could narrow it down to 3 or 4.WTf is their problem is it that they dont want us to be there? well we'll get the jobs dickheads...cause we dont melt in the sunlight. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

It's at times like this I'm glad I'm in second year comp sci. Comiserations.

Well, this geeky moron has ruined the potentially easiest exam ever for you too! (You don' get as much choice as they lead you to believe in third year!). I'm sure you have your fair share of these goons too!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DrIndy wrote:
    Beat them up, seriously......

In Trinner, we had copies of the old MCQ questions going back decades - they repeat a lot and so you don't just get practise. This is completely unknown to the department which proved a great advantage, but I would HATE to be the person that did tell, they would never have survived the onslaught......
    Haven't you just let the cat out of the bag :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

Carlitos wrote:
    yeah there's about 10 of the dungeons and dragons playing,spotty, leather wearing comic book guys in our class,it was deffo one of them and we could narrow it down to 3 or 4.WTf is their problem is it that they dont want us to be there? well we'll get the jobs dickheads...cause we dont melt in the sunlight. :rolleyes:

its kinda niave of u to think its one of those very stereotyped people. for one think it could quite possibly have been a clear skinned, denim wearing, The Sun reading, rugby playing yob instead?

But yeah, find the dickhead whoever it was, and knock the ****e out of him/her!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I really would knock the crap out of whoever that was...

its kinda niave of u to think its one of those very stereotyped people. for one think it could quite possibly have been a clear skinned, denim wearing, The Sun reading, rugby playing yob instead?

But yeah, find the dickhead whoever it was, and knock the ****e out of him/her!
    He's right. It was one of them. We're just not sure which one! Lol! :p They all look the same! (And trsut me, I'm no denim wearing rugby playing yob d4 head twat either!)

Just to add to this. Just had the exam in question. Of course, it was the most horrible exam ever. Noone I've spoken to has done well, its nuts! All because of this nerds big mouth! :mad: Typical really, could do the last 8 exams blindfolded, and the lecturer goes off and asks mad sht thats never been asked before because of some geek! ARG!

(Sorry, I'm raging!)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

thats a kick in the knackers

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

I'd be lucky to have passed that exam.... I didn't know about the changes until about 4 days ago. God help anyone who was repeating externally. The IR questions where nothing like previous years and for the first time he didn't ask a question like last years question 1. I'm just glad I handed in the assignments. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

You should try to find some way of preventing the fu(ker making it to the exam.

Call him & say you're from the hospital & a his mother's at deaths door & he needs to be there to say his final goodbye!

He'll be so relieved that it was a hoax that he won't bother trying to find out who set it up!

Get someone to make the call from a payphone in St. Vincents so if he calls back he'll know it's a hospital & there might even be some paging sounds in the background!

I don't see what your problem is lads. Testing helps you learn. You won't learn anything if you're tested on things you already know.

He basically told the examiner your exam is too easy!

Obviously I'm pissed he told him we did some of it before, but the change in the paper to make us do the whole course is fair enough. Afterall, its to be expected in any course. But because of this morons big mouth, the lecturer went off asking questions like none ever seen before and making things insanely complex, because this guy made him think we find it too easy. Personally, I was gunning for 75%ish in that subject, now I'll be lucky with 45%. Need the good average to get into 4th year. :(

Yeah, glad I did the assignments too, pity they're only 20% of the course tho! Wonder how Math Logic guy will adapt to the same gits big mouth.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Easiest way is to start some petiton or the like (even if you never send it in). I'm sure you'll get some guy who'll be very cagey as a result of his big mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Carlitos wrote:
    there's about 10 of the dungeons and dragons playing,spotty, leather wearing comic book guys in our class,it was deffo one of them and we could narrow it down to 3 or 4.
    Man thats a classic! I know the lads your talking about Its like they think its there duty to be as stereotypical as possible! I tell ya I went into Comp Sci with an open mind and I have to say that it is shameful the amount of time I hear people cackling over a game of "magic the gathering", I think its the fact there in college and are given a whole department to hang arrount that there a bit spacey. The amount of spacers is also amazing - people with twitches, stammers and glazed over eyes!
    Ah but as i've been told before "You picked comp sci , what you expect!"
    seamus wrote:
    I don't see what your problem is lads. Testing helps you learn. You won't learn anything if you're tested on things you already know.
    Ah seamus! Just cause your able to get honours in your physics exam doesn't mean we all should think exams are brilliant! :rolleyes: ,
    For someone who's so opinionated about virtually everything i'm really suprised you don't have any qualms with exams :p

Personally I think exams are balls! They lose there allure after the Junior Cert!

Also if you wan that guy glued and covered in hair in his sunday best let me know, I've got a few hits to do this summer anyway one more won't rock the boat.

Superman wrote:
    Ah seamus! Just cause your able to get honours in your physics exam doesn't mean we all should think exams are brilliant! :rolleyes: ,
    For someone who's so opinionated about virtually everything i'm really suprised you don't have any qualms with exams :p
    Honours?! *Maniacal laugh*

I was so far from getting an honour I got..like...an anti-honour.

Won't beat my best "anti-honour". That silly program design and verification course ;) So bad I didn't even get a F! :D Single digits, thats all I'm saying! Yet somehow I'm still here! ;)

I think your opinion of that course gives you the right to kick Syth - he thinks PD&V is really easy.

It was easy! Thats the thing! :( Well, it was stupid, and made no sense and had no point, but it was easy! But apparently he's very strict on the whole "Forget a bracket thing and I fail you!", I did every question out full and got what I thought were right answers! All I could do was laugh at the result! :D but yes, if I knew what he looked like (Even tho I prob sit opposite him 5 days a week! :p) I'd kick him! :D

He has long hair, and looks like he hasn't hit puberty yet, despite being 21.

Does he sound like a hamster?! :p

Maybe Syth *is* a hamster.
    But yes, he does have quite a high-pitched voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

in fairness the lecturer will prob give out the same amount of firsts, same amount of 2.1 and fail the same number of people as every other yr. Sure it might be a bit more random this yr but if everyone knew what was coming up then its really hard to stand out and get good marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Wha? What's with the me-bashing?! I am so kicking you the ovaries kirby.

And I get crazy maths/programming things quickly, so I 'got' PDV and hence found it easy. Not in denominated entry though, so didn't do information systems. Kevok said it was bad.

Yeah, it was bad. But that AI paper just made up for it! Man, I'll be píssed off with anything less than 100%! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I hear that your class has a different dress code for each exam! There was so much yellow going on the other day!

Green and Red days were good, but yellow was just scary!! Thankfully I don't own any yellow tops, so red did me grand, still a bright colour I guess! :D Dunno where the idea came from, but its a bit of light relief during/after crappy exams! :D