Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any mobile available without text messaging

Options
  • 07-05-2005 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

i'm looking for a prepay phone that doesn't have text messaging with it are they available does someone know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

why dont u just delete the sms settings on any fone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You won't get it in a mainstream store if they do exist. Maybe some of the REALLY old phones might?
    Why don't you want SMS? Just ignore it. It's not like you have to pay extra for it to be on your phone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Next you will be looking for one without WAP.

know someone who went through a fiver in credit before it was turned off - press navigation button twice and time is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

davelerave wrote:
    i'm looking for a prepay phone that doesn't have text messaging with it are they available does someone know?

Why an earth would you want this? But yes, you could just change all the sms settings to make it unusable.

But seriously, explain to us why!

A phone without sms due to age rather then disablment, would be absolutely huge. I have a phone the size - literally - of a brick, first Nokia to support sms.

Imagine the earlier models which didnt have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

i suspect that its for a kid...? otherwise i couldnt imagine wh sum1 wud want to hav a textless fone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

You can find them here.... perfect for the pocket...

http://www.mockia.com/brickia.html

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

If you need to just disable the SMS service, you could ask your operator to turn it off. It might disable incoming SMS also tho, but the customer care people should be able to tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Just delete the SMS gateway settings from the phone. I believe they have introduced a basic phone to the Japanese market that can only be used for making phone calls. Very popular among the older folks who don't want SMS, WAP or fancy wallpapers and ringtones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Berger

I'll sell you my C25 for €50 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

otron wrote:
    If you need to just disable the SMS service, you could ask your operator to turn it off. It might disable incoming SMS also tho, but the customer care people should be able to tell you that.

yup just tell them to remove your ability to send and rec sms. sorted..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Dublin8

here is the thing what ur looking for
    dosent have sms so no txt messages
    dosent have a dialpad
    only ul b able to dial what numnbers u have in sim
    u can see the video of that review online :D
    Firefly

http://reviews.cnet.com/Firefly/4505-6454_7-31337423.html?tag=pdtl-list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

yup just tell them to remove your ability to send and rec sms. sorted..

the 085 rep said they can't disable text messaging,they asked me to try changing the 'message centre number' but this diasables only outgoing texts .they said they haven't heard of gateway settings .can someone advise me further i have a nokia 6610 and a 3310 and wish to disable incoming texts for personal reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I knoe O2 offer the option of completly disabling text messages. When a mate of mine got a lot of messgaes that he did not want he was offered that option by O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JohnnyMobile

Any operator can disable sms.
    Advise there tech staff you want ts21 set to zero for sms send ability switched off or ts22 set to zero for sms receive ability disabled. Tell them you know this is possible and needs to be altered on your HLR profile.

Advise them you will port to a different operator if they do not assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

davelerave wrote:
    the 085 rep said they can't disable text messaging,they asked me to try changing the 'message centre number' but this diasables only outgoing texts .they said they haven't heard of gateway settings .can someone advise me further i have a nokia 6610 and a 3310 and wish to disable incoming texts for personal reasons

exactly what johnny said with regard to the above...

thanks for that info i will post back when i get a result

got that sorted for meteor and 02 they turned off in and out texts for both phones

davelerave wrote:
    got that sorted for meteor and 02 they turned off in and out texts for both phones
    fair play... sometimes they just need a little persuading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I work in Vodafone, and on our systems it is possible to disable someone from sending and receiving sms ... however, I do think that the only people who will sanction that is the Risk Management department. Customers cant just call in and request it.

embee wrote:
    I work in Vodafone, and on our systems it is possible to disable someone from sending and receiving sms ... however, I do think that the only people who will sanction that is the Risk Management department. Customers cant just call in and request it.
    I think you will find it doesnt need to be run by a risk management department... it is not a security issue it is a customer wishing to have a service removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I think you will find it doesnt need to be run by a risk management department... it is not a security issue it is a customer wishing to have a service removed.

Out of the 3 operators, none will remove a service such as sms, outgoing calls etc from a customers profile undr normal circumstances

They won't give specifics but its for revenue issues, and also would require the customer to call back in to get it reactivated and every call to a helpdesk costs money!

They should advise you how to do it yourself and also how to reactivate it when required.

They will do it however under special circumstances (and for corporate customers who don't want their employees using certain services)

Just give them a call!

A-Trak wrote:
    Out of the 3 operators, none will remove a service such as sms, outgoing calls etc from a customers profile undr normal circumstances

They won't give specifics but its for revenue issues, and also would require the customer to call back in to get it reactivated and every call to a helpdesk costs money!

They should advise you how to do it yourself and also how to reactivate it when required.

They will do it however under special circumstances (and for corporate customers who don't want their employees using certain services)

Just give them a call!

check earlier in the thread

you obviously know what your talking about.... want to tell me the meaning of life too???

"davelerave: got that sorted for meteor and 02 they turned off in and out texts for both phones "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 R Ramirez

A-Trak wrote:

Just give them a call!

I hate to have to disagree with you but i think you'll find that you're wrong.. You are correct that Vodafone or any other operator will not remove services such as making/recieving calls however, you're incorrect about them not removing sms abilities for sending and receiving.. very wrong in fact..

Plus, any decision not to allow a customer to remove or disable a network service has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it costs them money to service your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Calm down guys, my mistake. I lumped sms in with oteher services
    R Ramirez wrote:
    Plus, any decision not to allow a customer to remove or disable a network service has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it costs them money to service your call.

I wasn't infering to it costs them money to service your call, I was saying thet its business practice not to remove certain services for revenue reasons.
    Meaning if you don't have them you won't use them

Also probably worth remembering it is YOUR phone and YOU as a customer get what YOU want. So if you dont want voice... sms... gprs... 3G.... etc etc.. you tell the opco and they will remove it. Its like anything, if you think of yourself at the mercy of these companys then you are.

Advertisement