Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia/Cayman 3351 ethernet

• 07-05-2005 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I have been using a Netopia 3351 router for broadband internet access via USB without problems for 18 months. I now wish to change to the Netopia's ethernet interface, but have real problems.
    When I connect to ethernet the LED for ethernet on the router lights OK, but I cannot establish any contact from the desktop to the router on address 192.168.1.1, which is the one my ISP has defined to be the private IP address of the router.
    When I ping 192.168.1.1 I get a connection refused message, rather than a time-out, which I get for other IP addresses in the same sub-network.
    My IP settings on the desktop for the ethernet connection are all set according to the rules.

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shuichi

Do you have a software firewall on your workstation that might be blocking ICMP requests? That includes Windows Firewall (the-firewall-that-refuses-to-die...) if you're rujnning XP Service Pack 2. Other than that, it's possible the router itself is set to be rude to pingers. Go through the config pages and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Geoff97

I disabled the windows firewall in case that was the problem, but it made no difference.
    I was able to ping the router via USB with no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

You may need to uninstall the USB networking device in either control panel/ networking or in device manager.

It sounds like windows is still routing traffic to the USB device.

Try disabling it, reboot and see if you can connect through the network card.

I didn't mention it earlier, but I'm doing the ethernet and USB access from different computers. The one used for ethernet does not have a USB connection to the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I may be thinking of the wrong modem but i do not think you can use both connections.

It only allows one connection.

• Advertisement

I'm only using one connection at any time.
    To change connections I switch off the router, change the connections and then restart the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

When I got broadband first it wouldn't work on ethernet.I had to download new drivers for my PC from Realtek (the make of my NIC)

Seven Worlds will Collide

I'm using up to date drivers.

Advertisement