Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton and Liverpool

• 08-05-2005 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

The race is on boys, advantage Everton though, 6 points clear Liverpool must get something today against Gooners, by the way Cahill has been a terrific signing.
    This whole rule about winning The CL and not finishing 4th and still playing in The UEFA cup? is a bloody joke, I don't blame Pool fans for their frustration.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It is pretty much a sure bet that Everton will get it but there is a slight possibility that they could loose their next 2 games. They probably will but Liverpool would go and loose to Villa or something stupid like that and ruin their chances again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I'm afaid I don't hold to much hope of Liverpool grabbing 4th spot at this stage. Just hope they win the CL final and put some of that money to good use next season. Like to see them concentrate on the Premiership and win it next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Screw the CL next season. What can you do in a competition you won the previous season only fail to do it again. A season out of it will do the world of good. A good building season next season to concentrate on the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stekelly wrote:
    Screw the CL next season. What can you do in a competition you won the previous season only fail to do it again. A season out of it will do the world of good. A good building season next season to concentrate on the league.
    I have to agree here....the money they made on getting to the final this year is probably equal to what they would have got for 2 successive seasons reaching the last 16, so monetary wise, it's not the issue...
    I think a year out of it will give them the hunger to get back into it even more next year and give Rafa a chance to work on his tactics for the PL which I have to say were a bit off the mark on a few occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to say I agree too, fewer games, less chance of a midweek hang-over.

That said Rafa will prolly want to be the first manager to win the CL and UEFA cup back-to-back the wrong way round at the same club! :D

Some say it'll effect his buying options but I dont see that myself, there is money in the kitty from this years campaign, players will be sold and should raise a few million or many millions if Gerrard and Baros go. Then there's Rafas reputation which I belive will be enough to get the players he wants.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Players who want to play CL football and win it, like say Joaoquin, were never goign to be joining Liverpool anyway.
    Benetiz wants quality dedicated young players, and I'm sure the ones he brings in won't even realise how good they are yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    Players who want to play CL football and win it, like say Joaoquin, were never goign to be joining Liverpool anyway.
    Benetiz wants quality dedicated young players, and I'm sure the ones he brings in won't even realise how good they are yet :)

Couldnt even afford him anyway!

as the lads have said, i aint too disappointed about us not making CL. if we finish 6th can we tell uefa we dont want the uefa place? cos i dont want it. If we have to play it we should treat it like a carling cup match and let the youngsters have a run out in it.

This gives us the chance to concentrate fully on the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I can see the viewpoint of the previous posters but when the draw for the Champions League takes place I know it will stick in my throat to recall how pathetic we were in the Premiership this season. Maybe a win on the 25th May would alter my thinking but I still wish we were in it, to be honest.
    By the way, well done Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

got a great text of my Liverpool lovin' friend after the arsenal game
    just don't lose to partisan khazlikovastan

It must a be great night on merseyside, it hasn't been easy on evertonians for the last 15 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I think the not being in the champions league will deter players from LFC, prolly the reason Duff didn't join us when Chelsea came 4th ahead of us a couple of seasons ago..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

mada999 wrote:
    I think the not being in the champions league will deter players from LFC, prolly the reason Duff didn't join us when Chelsea came 4th ahead of us a couple of seasons ago..........
    Thought it was because we weren't prepared to meet the asking price - Duff didn't get the option to join us or not...

I'm disappointed we won't be in the CL - it was the best part of our season this year and the Premiership won't be any easier to win next year. We've a long way to improve and by the sounds of it Chelsea will reinforce with 2 or 3 new players. It also makes it tougher for us trying to entice talent to the cub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

V disapoited and prob will be the reason players wont join liverpool this year, even if its only mikey owen to come back!

But well done Everton really hope yee do well in the CL next year at least there will be a team from liverpool to cheer on ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done to Everton, taking part in the premier European Competition is what every footballer strives for and why players join clubs, if any supporter tries to say they don't actually care about not been in the CL then they are either delirious or having a laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Very bitter about us not making 4th, we had so many chances but there was desire or fight whatsoever from some of our players. The sooner Rafa ships out the dross - Traore, Baros, Dudek et al - from our club the better.

How Traore is playing professional football is beyond me.

Edit: Well done Everton.

Advertisement