Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats a better achievement...?

• 08-05-2005 12:50pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Jose Mourinho winning the Premiership in his first season at Chelsea...?or David Moyes taken Everton into fourth...?

I think David Moyes should get manager of the year he has worked wounders at Everton (and this is hard to say as a Liverpool fan).

Whats a better achievement...? 12 votes

Jose Mourinho winning the Premiership
    0% 0 votes
    David Moyes getting 4th (or 5th:D) with Everton
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Moyes. Absolutely amazing. No doubt about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Given the resources that Moyes has he is definately my candidate for manager of the season. Of course if Benitez wins the Champions League with that Liverpool squad he should be canonised :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Moyes by a mile.

Winning the Premiership with a cheque book is nothing new nor special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I don't agree about Moyes....he's only gotten 4th spot due to the lack of competiteness of Liverpool.
    4th place this year is way behind 3rd....
    All they got was top spot of about 4-5 teams fighting it out for the 4th spot.

Mourinho won the league with 2 games left and something like 10pts over Arsenal and points wise in the 90's. I don't think it'll be matched for quite a while.

Congrats to Everton on getting 4th but to be honest they gave Liverpool & Bolton enough chances to catch them and they didn't take advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

I think the real question is, is Moyes getting Everton to 4th better than <insert 1 of the 4 relegation candidates> surviving the drop?

If Southampton do it, then that'll be a superb turn-around by Harry Redknapp.
    If West Brom do it, then that'll be a superb turn-around by Bryan Robson.
    If Palace do it, considering the situation they were in when he took over, then that'll be an oustanding feat by Iain Dowie.
    And if Norwich do it, well that'll still be an excellent feat by Nigel Worthington :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Definally.
    Last season, Everton were one of those 4 teams, remember?
    This season, they are in the top 4.
    If Graveston hadn't left, I think they would be a hell of a lot closer to the top 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think the former is a better achievement, firstly because it has actually happened whereas until the pool drop some points in about an hour or two Eve have not got fourth.
    Secondly because he has done it with none of his strikers banging in with 20+ goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

cgf wrote:
    Moyes by a mile.

Winning the Premiership with a cheque book is nothing new nor special.

:rolleyes:

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Now both have been achieved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Mourinho for me

He won the EPL by Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Mourinho for me

He won the EPL by Christmas
    :rolleyes:

Moyes won the 4th place by Christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Before assessing Moyes' achievement people should take into account that they underachieved last year.

Everton are a big side, and finished 7th two years ago. They should be looking to finish in the top eight every year.

Hence I dont think finishing 4th is an incredible achievement. A good one yes, but manager of the year? Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Hence I dont think finishing 4th is an incredible achievement. A good one yes, but manager of the year? Hardly.

Have a look at the players , and money Moyes had to work with , now think again , theres no difference between lets say Portsmouth and Everton except David Moyes .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to go with Moyes not cos he understands what great football is but cos he got the most of a band of hackers and hoofers (bar one or two).

That said if given the atrocious record of promoted sides the manager of the one that stays up (if any) should get a mention.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Ears wrote:
    Have a look at the players , and money Moyes had to work with , now think again , theres no difference between lets say Portsmouth and Everton except David Moyes .
    Dont get me wrong I think it is a great achievement, and he is a great manager.

But they have had a good run without injuries and all they have achieved is being the best of a poor chasing pack on the top three. The have finished fourth, but they should be finishing top half every year.

I think its a great achievement but I think some people are giving a little more credit than its due by comparing it to last year where they underachieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Mourinho for me

1st (91 pts) beats 4th (61 pts) any day of week :rolleyes:

we could also ask

which is better - Bolton's 6th place or Newcastle's likely 14th/15th spot - and some people would make a case for Newcastle. I wouldn't be one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

come on!! it has to be moyes!! im a liverpool fan but ya cant deny what moyes has done at goodison considering the squad (or lack) in comparison to mourinho! Mourinho is using ambramovich to play the ultimate game of Championship manager, "if a player is injured we'll go out and buy another one" wheras moyes has bred new talent (youngest ever prem scorer anyone) and gotten 110% from a shoestring squad that lost two of its best players. If moyes doesnt get something is wrong.

p.s. Off topic i know we've lost 4th but i still say fairplay to benitez for getting a team, that consists of ONE player he brought in, to two finals. doubt theres many fans out there who'd have said no to their team acheiving that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Definitely has to be moyes, without a shadow of a doubt...

Finish 17th last season.
    Relegation candidates from the media.
    Lose 4-1 to the champions on the opening day.
    Lose Rooney a week or two later.
    Lose Gravesen in january.

Everything that could go wrong for everton this season, did go wrong for them. Losing 2 of their best players, not having enough time after rooney left to use what money they did get.

Reached 4th my mid september. Haven't been lower since.

In my opinion, that is a f**king miracle!

Against all the odds they have done it. Proved all the critics wrong. There are a lot of words being swallowed across the english media tonight I can tell ya.

Chelsea winning the premiership is no 'biggy'. With a billionaire bankrolling 30 million transfers at the drop of a hat, winning the premiership is a walk in the park. Chelsea have played good football this season and good luck to them, but do you honestly think they'd be champs without uncle roman?

Mourinho is a good manager and I like his style, but seriously anybody with that money and player ability at their disposal could have beaten man utd and arsenal to the title....
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    I don't agree about Moyes....he's only gotten 4th spot due to the lack of competiteness of Liverpool.
    And your point being?
    You can only beat what is put in front of you. Liverpools inability to act on some of everton's mistakes this season isn't everton's issue. Why should they be ridiculed for liverpool not taking opportunites? They have done what is needed to finish 4th.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    4th place this year is way behind 3rd....
    All they got was top spot of about 4-5 teams fighting it out for the 4th spot.
    So? As I said, to get 4th in the league all you have to do is be better than the teams below you. They did this.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Congrats to Everton on getting 4th but to be honest they gave Liverpool & Bolton enough chances to catch them and they didn't take advantage.
    Terrible mistakes by liverpool and bolton then eh??? They weren't good enough to capitalise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Lets not forget what Stuart Pearce has done! Our best run in the Premiership ever and one game away from European qualification since he took over, getting manager of the month on the way. Although for the purpose of this discussion it has to be Moyes. Was it close to 50 players rejected moves to Everton in the summer (van Bommell etc) so he had little to work with, to get 4th with that squad was close to miraculous.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definately Moyes without a single doubt (and as the poll seems to proving), the lack of resources (even though he should about 20 million to spend in summer) as compared to Chelsea, both great achievements but for Everton to lose Gravesen half way through and still pull out some great and entertaining results is a credit to them, heres wishing them the best of luck in the CL next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Moyes without a doubt, the resourses available to Mouriniho are second to none so Moyes had done the better job :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Moyes, defo. smallest squad in the premier league go from 17th to 4th in one year having sold the wonder kid and the mad dog, our two best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think it was always inevitable that Chelsea would win the league and they've done it without any great deal of flair - the impressive thing for me is that so far they've only conceded 13 goals which is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Moyes by long shot.

17th last year 4th this year is an incredible achievment and with the smallest squad in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Juan Pablo wrote:
    Lets not forget what Stuart Pearce has done! Our best run in the Premiership ever and one game away from European qualification since he took over, getting manager of the month on the way.

I have supported City for 28 years and there hasn't been a huge amount to cheer about so agreed; really hope we get 7th and Blackburn don't collapse.

Plus we were the only team to beat Chelsea in the Premiership which in some people's eyes, makes us champions by default. ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well done to Moyes, got his Managers Manager of the Year Award, well deserved based on the small squad he had and lack of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Its a hard one to call, "hard" you say.

Moyes achievement was magnificent. With a club like Everton who are no longer big time, though might get back now, I think that its great stuff and shows his good managerial skills. But he needs players of good skill fast and some new fresh centre backs if its to continue.

Jose however. The guy above who said easy to win with a cheque book? I didnt realise you could like buy knowledge of the league and english game etc? Please stop slandering Chelsea, there only outragous purchase was Drogba at 25 mil. Liverpool under Houllier spent over 250 million on his team, while United have spent loads over the years, on waste of space in my opinion such as Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and the like.

He had to come here, learn his players, learn the league and his opponents and won one cup and the premiership. I think they are both great achievements, and its hard to pick one out.

Advertisement