Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere to go before ball

• 08-05-2005 3:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭

Any one recommend some place to goto before the trinity ball?

does anyone go to the pub or do people go to hotels or just to houses??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Simple: The Porter House. High class international beer, great food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Where do majority of students go before?

Bit of a crap walk back though isnt it?? I like the porter house myself but wouldnt say its the right scene for a tux. There beer gives u the s***ts the next day. Just like Bavaria :D:D

apeking wrote:
    Where do majority of students go before?

Bit of a crap walk back though isnt it??
    er.. not really ~5 mins!? I was gonna say how the quick walk back through temple bar is a great experience.. any student who lives in temple bar is having a party.
    apeking wrote:
    I like the porter house myself but wouldnt say its the right scene for a tux.
    :confused: Why not? Jeeze don't get cocky, you're going to a student drunk fest. "ball" is such a misnomer. Tux suits better in the porter house than most places tbh. Order oysters if you want to feel a bit posher
    apeking wrote:
    There beer gives u the s***ts the next day. Just like Bavaria :D:D
    They have like 400 beers..! They can't all give you the runs. Drink light coloured belgian or czech beers (ApeX recommends Duvel or Staropramen). Never got any gut problems from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

go to doyles or the westmoreland bar(cheapish pints) they'r both fairely near tcd and if theyr's any girls with you it will save them from having to walk far in their heels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Any public drinking establishment will be able to amply supply you with intoxicating beverages.

I would advocate avoiding such drinking establishments juxtapositional to the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, Near Dublin. Unfortunately, numerous other likeminded individuals will be in occupation of such premises. A short ambulation to a spacious accomodation would be germane.

• Advertisement

originally posted by DrIndy
    I would advocate avoiding such drinking establishments juxtapositional to the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, Near Dublin

you'v never walked in heels before then?! whats with all the posh talk? you'll give us all a bad rep!

Compexity of diction is my ardent diversion. :D

do you know any irish/ gaeilge?!

DrIndy wrote:
    Any public drinking establishment will be able to amply supply you with intoxicating beverages.

I would advocate avoiding such drinking establishments juxtapositional to the College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, Near Dublin. Unfortunately, numerous other likeminded individuals will be in occupation of such premises. A short ambulation to a spacious accomodation would be germane.

So UCD wouldn't be a good place to go then you're saying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Club Chonradh na Geailge, the best (and cheapest) spot to go before the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭young nastyman

ha! never seen someone in conradh wearin a tux!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

It'll be tuxed to the max on Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

er.. not really ~5 mins!? I was gonna say how the quick walk back through temple bar is a great experience.. any student who lives in temple bar is having a party.

5 mins from whitworth road to trinity!? What are you, mad!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Pet wrote:

lol, ye told you it was a long walk. (think he was talking about the one in temple bar) :D:D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Thats the porterhouse north though - so not the same thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Calm Horizons

Last year I ended up going to Cafe an Seine (sp?) on Dawson Street before actually heading into the college itself. It was a bit crowded but the atmosphere was great and it's very close to the college too.

Pet wrote:
    wtf? Parliament st.. across the road from the turks head and beside Zaytoon. 5 mins at a slow pace ffs :p
    Last year I ended up going to Cafe an Seine
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

there's a porterhouse on something bridge opposite hedigan's brain boru. looks like a nice place. obviously the one apex was talking about is in Temple bar area. personally, i'd recommend not going there.

point of note, available alchohol at tb - please correct my mistakes -

Pints of Guinness
    Pints of Budweiser
    Vodka
    Whiskey
    Pints of Cashels (cider)
    Some weird alcopop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

DrIndy wrote:
    College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity of Queen Elizabeth, near Dublin.
    College Knowledge of the Day:

The College was originally called the "THE COLLEGE OF THE HOLY AND UNDIVIDED TRINITY NEAR DUBLIN FOUNDED BY THE MOST SERENE QUEEN ELIZABETH".

(Before it was changed two paragraphs later.)

Hmm. Tell us something interesting, like, how many senior lecturers have been sacked for gross mis-conduct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm going to myths house....

too far from the college. i'm going to bobo's house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Can you go to the Buttery or is it all closed off n all?

Chick wrote:
    Can you go to the Buttery or is it all closed off n all?
    It's not closed off.. It's open for the ball. You have to get into the ball first however to go to the buttery

anyone any confirmation on the types of drinks available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Thought so, ok thanks.

Friends house so!

so do we getta meet chick at the ball? :D

crash_000 wrote:
    so do we getta meet chick at the ball? :D

Still looking for a date eh? It's ok Crash, I think you're cool.

hahah, so you'll be my date then? deadly. drop over around 6.

• Advertisement

Odd that. I actually do know where you live, so don't have to put a pointless threat in there. Anyways, moving on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Food before the ball is a good idea, that 3am-cold-and-hungry feeling is no fun. I went for pizza before the ball one year in Gotham Cafe, was the first of the group to arrive and when i worked in the door in my dress a lovely waiter said loudly enough for most of the restaurant to turn around 'a princess has arrived...'. Made my night! :D

Remember, the Ball is all about the dress/shoes/make up/hair/accessories for us girls, until we've had a bit to drink, it's a bit cold, our feet hurt and we want to wear your jacket.

Note: crash, lending girls your jacket at the ball is kind of like the Cinderella slipper hunt, sooner or later your dream girl will try it on. Or, at least your dream girl for that evening...

my fecking jacket cost me 130euro when i bought the suit, cinderella can piss off :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

crash_000 wrote:
    my fecking jacket cost me 130euro when i bought the suit, cinderella can piss off :P

and who said romance is dead... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I did in my 1987 screenplay "Romance Is Dead". It never made it past the location scouting phase. Maybe someday CGI will advance to the level where my masterpiece will be realised.

:P ah actually i'm a romantic - i think i got ash and beer all over the back of it for my ex on the way back home :P

• Advertisement

crash_000 wrote:
    :P ah actually i'm a romantic - i think i got ash and beer all over the back of it for my ex on the way back home :P
    never loan your jacket to a drunken girl....... it will disappear......

Instead take someone elses jacket.....

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

you know i'm not as excited about the ball as i was last year..dont get me wrong im still looking forward to it :D i think its the fact i know im gonna be so broke when its over.....

oh and guys you gotta lend jackets, its what us girls rely on at 6am, standing in the freezing cold in those stupidly high shoes we know we shouldnt have worn...but they were so pretty in the shop.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

personally, i'd recommend not going there.

Why not? And, seeing as you seem to know much on the subject, where else in town (aside from the Pav and Pravda) is Kopparberg available for purchase?

Pet wrote:
    Why not? And, seeing as you seem to know much on the subject, where else in town (aside from the Pav and Pravda) is Kopparberg available for purchase?
    Sweden

front lounge.
    off license in whelans and spar on wexford street.
    I've nothing against PH I just doubt you'd like it Pet, maybe you would. IF you don't have some mates gaf to hang around in the city centre I'd encourage you to go to doyles, although some would say that's the last place they'd go. also if you have a helicopter go to sweden as seal face said.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i intend to tape vodka to my legs,

where i end up. i dont Care.... I'll Be Drunk.

i intend to tape vodka to my legs
    Why?

Why bother taping them? or Why bother smuggling vodka in?

I think I'll chance a wee naggin sure it'll do no harm. just stick it in my pocket.

Why bother taping them? or Why bother smuggling vodka in?
    What do you think? :rolleyes: :p

They have these magical things called pockets now AS. I know you probably haven't heard of them. Your legs must raw after taping your wallet and phone and such to them everyday. Anyway they come with your suit, 2-3 around around your ass and one on the inside of the left breast of your suit jacket (ApeX recommends here for storing vodka), sometimes there may be one in the right breast pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Because they give you a fairly savage search............. and the booze is expensive and the Q's are long........... Ill be straping 2 naggins of rum to my legs to sort myself out!!! then just buy an orange juice when I get in there......... Mmmmm rum.

Rabbit? They give you a savage search but they don't noticed the bottle taped to your legs?

They search random people randomly. They usually check your ears for e tabs too.

Exactly, kev said it. I mean if you happen to get searched it gets confiscated eitherway. Why go to the hassle of taping it to your legs like a spa when you can just put it in your pocket. Breast pocket is far less conspicuous than a big tight spot on your cax and a funny walk.

I'm giving naggins of my 190 proof illicit liquor to friends who are headin to the ball..

Am I still a friend? i want some.

Am I a friend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

ApeXaviour wrote:
    naggins of my 190 proof illicit liquor

mmmm... liquor

• Advertisement
Advertisement