Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL user policy (updated on April 2005)

• 08-05-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

As update in April 2005

see it at this link

http://www.ntl.com/locales/ie/en/athome/pdf/InternetUserPolicy2005.pdf

paragraph 18
    18. Use of Virtual Private Network (VPN)

As stated above, the ntl Internet and/or Interactive Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN. If we find you are using VPN via the ntl IP network we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request. This is in order to prevent problems to ntl (eg network performance) and other Internet users.

means it's not allowed to connect to/from office using VPN channel! :mad:

paragraph 20
    20. Use of the Network (Broadband services)

The residential broadband internet service ("Broadband Services") is designed for connection to a single PC. If you connect more than one PC at any one time to the Broadband Service you agree that this shall be entirely at your own risk. ntl will not support your PC's, the network used, or their configuration and technical support shall remain limited to your Internet connection only.

You must not connect more than three (3) PC's to the Broadband Services at any one time.

You are permitted to use routers, and the connection of a dedicated hardware router or firewall shall not be considered a PC for the purposes of this section.

In connecting to the Broadband Service, you must only use a PC you own or lease, and you must not attempt to connect your PC to the Broadband Services from outside your home. This includes the use of wireless or non-wireless networking technology to connect your PC or any other PC to your Broadband Services from outside your home or the connection of your PC to anyone else's Broadband Services.

so, remote dekstop or such things are not allowable too. :mad:

where is the fun now? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

These companies should change their TOS to "you are permitted to pay us for a service, but are only allowed to browse dublinbus.ie once a week on it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I assume they are saying this to covers them selves if someone abuses their service, I doubt they will stop you with anything short of excessive use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You'd think having a cap would suffice, though. I can understand providers of uncapped services having lots of T&C's. Actually, IBB's T&C is full of that stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Paragraph 20 looks reasonable. I doubt they're going to come banging down your door if you connect 4 PCs, on the other hand if you create your own WAN running off your NTL point...

I don't like Paragraph 18. I can see how they'd expect someone who works from home to sign up for a business package rather than a residential package, but this looks like it will punish the person who decides to dial in to their office at the weekend and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I assume they are saying this to covers them selves if someone abuses their service, I doubt they will stop you with anything short of excessive use.
    I agree. I think overall ntls T&C are fair and reasonable.
    And they cite the reason being to prevent problems with the network - I'm guessing they mean if someone is a bandwidth wh0re and impacting on their neighbours (who may experience poor service) then ntl can instruct the perp to desist. It might not be popular of me to say so - but I think it's only right and fair - and as a paying customer I fully expect ntl to protect my QoS :p:)

causal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

How does running a VPN impact on services?

What about using PCanywhere or logmein.com etc?

How is it that using a VPN can impact on people but bittorrent is ok (unless there are other t&C's for that -"If we find you...").

How about an SME buying a residential broadband product and running their WAN using VPN? Not OK.
    How about me logging into the office from home for teleworking. OK, as long as I don't rape bandwidth.

ntl are covering themselves against abuse of their product.

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

no one's gonna rape bandwidth with remote desktop. With ntl's upload speeds you'd go mad after half an hour of using it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I think paragraph 20 is aimed more at people trying to share their connection with neighbours rather than remote control of a PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

The words "mountain / Molehill" come to mind :) Thin clinet VPN etc is usually fine....

• Advertisement

I think paragraph 20 is aimed more at people trying to share their connection with neighbours rather than remote control of a PC.
    Yep, and Paragraph 18 is aimed at businesses trying to use a residential product.

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If the use for those very odd occasions when I need to spend the afternoon at home and connect via VPN is outlawed then I'll have to move to Smart when available.

I know they need to cover against abuse but surely it is unfair to note a total restriction - it might be like saying you cannot use FTP at all.

You're absolutely right - and look at the wording they use:
    If we find you are using VPN via the ntl IP network we may instruct you to stop using it and you must comply with this request.
    Basically they're saying - it can be done and users can do it - but don't ask us for help - and if you abuse it then we may ask you to desist. imho that's fair enough.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Any idea what the punishment for goving over the Cap is? Can't seem to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I dont think NTL has ever taken action, with the exception of a letter, against those who have overdownloaded.

40GBytes a month is pretty damn good by Irish standards so very few people go over it anyway.

You cable boys should feel damn priveleged to have that type of broadband as DSL(myself) customers get a pretty bad deal with much smaller CAPS.
    BT offer the best CAP @24GBytes...but this can be easily smashed over a month!

Advertisement