Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband anywere

• 08-05-2005 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭

I live in one of the few big towns in ireland without broadband and its a disgrace
    we have had so many push backs its unbelieveable so ive decided to get satellite

can anyone name a few and say what speed and price it is and does location matter at all?

i live in a town called Hospital in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Don't know much about satellite only its expensive, and not good for gaming. Anyway you should find a list of providers here if you select your town http://www.broadband.gov.ie/bbinfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

1huge1 wrote:
    I live in one of the few big towns in ireland without broadband and its a disgrace
    we have had so many push backs its unbelieveable so ive decided to get satellite

can anyone name a few and say what speed and price it is and does location matter at all?

1huge1

Hospital Co. Limerick was approved under the GBS on the 8th of December 2004 and you should enjoying the Ildana giddyup satellite service as we speak.

jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

So that's satellite shared locally over wireless or how does it work? Does that offer any advantages over getting one's own satellite connection, other than a bit cheaper CPE? Stupid question perhaps, but I suppose I'm wondering if the speeds are higher or less likely to be throttled during peak times, a problem that seems to affect a lot of sat users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

that site with all the names of the bb providers in your area has to be wrong because I know for a fact I cant get eircom among others

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭imogen

hey hospitaller, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the old community broadband schemes. We did what they told us here in rural south Cork, raised 120 people in the local area prepared to subscribe, we got NO interest from providers except from Smart who then told us it's not economic for technical reasons but they might be able to do it through the eircom exchange some time in the future if we're lucky.

Sound a bit like your favourite banana republic in action? Still, the politicians can all claim they're looking after us rural dwellers, can't they! After all, there's a scheme!

All the best

Imogen

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote:
    that site with all the names of the bb providers in your area has to be wrong because I know for a fact I cant get eircom among others

It's NOT WRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

imogen wrote:
    hey hospitaller, I wouldn't hold out much hope for the old community broadband schemes. We did what they told us here in rural south Cork, raised 120 people in the local area prepared to subscribe, we got NO interest from providers except from Smart who then told us it's not economic for technical reasons but they might be able to do it through the eircom exchange some time in the future if we're lucky.

Sound a bit like your favourite banana republic in action? Still, the politicians can all claim they're looking after us rural dwellers, can't they! After all, there's a scheme!

All the best

Imogen

If its any consolation, Imogen, (and I know it is'nt) yours was not the only community let down by the "Magicians" , at the last minute, they pulled out of all CGBS applications, and left a lot of communities high and dry.

jbkenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

1huge1 wrote:

Irish broadband (IBB) are setting up a Transmitter in the limerick area. Check them out. you might have a chance there website is usually not up to date, call them. much cheaper and better service then Satellite

Im thinking of going for E3 broadband anyone know if its good
    hospital isnt a small town though it wouldnt be huge
    we almost had broadband last april but it got pushed on 6 months and that was the last straw

and i cant get eircom here spartacus93 we can only get satellite ones in my area apparently

anyone know if E3 satellite bb is any good?

1huge1 wrote:
    and i cant get eircom here spartacus93 we can only get satellite ones in my area apparently

You can get satellite from Eircom

• Advertisement

really i cant seem to find any eircom satellite service on their site can i have a link

does anyone have E3 broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Robert

1huge1 wrote:
    really i cant seem to find any eircom satellite service on their site can i have a link

does anyone have E3 broadband?

Hi I am using AVCbroadband in the Uk they supply the oneway satellite broadband packages to E3 broadband.

Avcbroadband are a good bit cheaper per monthe then E3broadband are

E3 Broadband prices
    HomeSat 256 kbps 5 times faster €29.99 Unlimited
    HomeSat 512 kbps 10 times faster €49.99 Unlimited
    HomeSat 1 Mbps 20 times faster €69.99 Unlimited
    HomeSat 2 Mbps 40 times faster €99.99 Unlimited

AVC BROADBAND
    256 kbps 5 times faster €15.00 No cap
    512 kbps 10 times faster €33.99 No cap
    768 Kbps 15 times faster €41.00 No cap
    1 Mbps 20 times faster €55.99 No cap
    2 Mbps 40 times faster €82.99 No cap