Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick + Exam = Bad Combo

• 08-05-2005 6:16pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

Why does this always happen to me? I've got the worst exam of them all tomorrow afternoon and i feel icky all day with an awful headache which isn't the best thing to study with. Any ideas people?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Red Alert wrote:
    Why does this always happen to me? I've got the worst exam of them all tomorrow afternoon and i feel icky all day with an awful headache which isn't the best thing to study with. Any ideas people?

Drink plenty of fluids, take a paracetomol, avoid studying until the headache goes and then when it does, do your best. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

take full advantage of it, go to ur dr, get a note, send it into the department....

ah today is sunday...ehm, try power nap or having a nice long shower..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It doesn't really help that it's solid state electronics which has an awful reputation marks wise, and i'm seriously having a **** fit about it. :eek:

*hug*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Make a nice cup of hot chocolate. With marshmallows. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Garlic - a few industrial strenght garlic tablets or an entire clove (swallow it with load of water and you won't taste it).

It's better than chemo. Seriously.

Take it before you go to bed with lots of fluids, you want to sweat it out of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What happens if you are sick and can't sit say one exam but passed all the rest? Would you have to repeat that one or would they let it go if you're abroad? Or could you sit it externally next year but go into the next year?

thanks for the feel-good everyone. i'm still ****ting myself about this one but i felt alright this morning when i got up. i think with the new modules thing you might be able to take it the next time, but i don't think they have to let you do that. it's only if you have some real good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Glad to hear you're feeling better Peader, good luck with Solid State!untitled1.jpg You'll be fine, remember you only need 40%, in fact technically you could get away with 30% on it. Don't stress about it, you'll do much better if you can just keep a calm head and remember the stuff (easy to say I know!). Anyway his exam with us this year was incredibly predictable, so hopefully yours will have no suprises.

Sangre if you fail an exam for whatever reason at all you have to repeat it in the Autumn, then if you fail it in the Autumn you have to repeat the whole year. The elec department don't really believe in making exceptions for ppl, so if something happenns to you its your problem :( That said we have compensation, which means that we can get as low as 30% in up to 3 subjects, provided we make up to twice the difference with another subject. (e.g. if u get 30% in one, you need to get 60% in another to pass) Without compensation my class would have had a 94% failure rate last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yeah they dont make exceptions for illness. i've a friend who failed one exam in 1st arts last year and had glandular fever during the repeats. She did even worse than she had in the summer due to it. She had to repeat the whole year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shít one! Hate to be that ill!

I'm dying today, first exam on Wednesday, ah well! If I don't do well enough they turf me out with a degree this year anyways! :D

it wasn't incredibly bad after all, more like a repeat of the summer 04 paper. i think it went ok fingers crossed!

Yay!!! :)

That's great news. You feeling better?

Hope the rest of your exams go well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Red Alert wrote:
    it wasn't incredibly bad after all, more like a repeat of the summer 04 paper. i think it went ok fingers crossed!
    Hey thats good news - its the sort of exam that you pretty much know how you've done when you come out of it, so if you think it went okay I'd say you did grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

sick note should do ya fine, Especially if you got only 1 bogie exam there good for tiding you over. If you got a sound doctor arrange a check up and when your in there twist his arm for a nice note, I did got one post dated for 2 weeks when I was going on holiday :)
    Doc's don't really don't care once its a college thing cause at first he though I was trying to scam work or somethin. Remember you don't pay him €50 for just listening to your chest :)

i don't know why they'd be too upset about scamming a workplace tho' either. i got a great sick note i broke my knee - "he will not be able to complete or participate in various assignments and activities. these will be left to his own discretion"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Bah, I have the flu and today was a nightmare :(

I mean...I didn't know much ANYWAY, but being in a constant shivery, sneezy state didn't help.

Dagnammit.

Advertisement