Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peacocks ??

• 08-05-2005 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know anything about them . Where to get them, food shelter ECT.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

i've never kept them, but have spent time on a farm where there were a few. they make great alarm systems. they seem to be pretty light sleepers and if anything disturbs them at night, they start wailing. the ones at the farm would roost on the roof of the house at night and as i was a kid and sharing a room with several other kids, our giggling and squealing would set them off several times a night. they sounded sort of like an infant crying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

All I know is that once my wife worked somewhere where they had peacocks roaming the grounds. At mating time, the males would attack anything blue that looked threatening including any blue cars in the carpark! Small beak sized dents all over the body panels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Hope your neighbours don't mind the squawking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Always thought they were lovely myself, they have some at Weston aerodrome.

Website on peafowl care

http://www.peafowl.org/

Haven't got the time to look for any more.
    Just go to Google or Yahoo and search for "peafowl care".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

For more info on their guard-dog role, see 'Midnight Express'. They're noisy buggers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Its an idea for a birthday present.It would be savage. We have an orchard so they would have loads of room.Ìve found some for sale in the buy and sell for around €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Animals don't make good presents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Animals aren't objects, don't give them away as presents unless you're 100% sure the person actually wants it (and you've discussed it with them).

in knife fighters defense, he did say "WE have an orchard", sounds like hes not giving them away outside of his own house,so maybe he'll be around to care for them too. thats a nice present as long as no work or responsibilty is required of the receiver :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

if the term 'pea-brain' is anything to go by, i pitty the female of the peacock species.

• Advertisement

probably right Ferdi. im guessing the big fancy tails are just over compensation for other inadaquecies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The auld fella has always wanted them but never got off his arse.And there is an okay record of animal safety in our house.So stop presuming im going to hand them over in a gift wraped box and run

Advertisement