Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How can UCD societies improve?

• 08-05-2005 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

This year I felt that the societies in UCD were a load of crap! Next year with Anto Kelly as Ents officer the societies have a chance to flourish under experienced guidance.

What would you like to see in the societies next year????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

stuff that isn't real academic (debates, and comedy ones' are crap.), drink orientated or overly sporty.
    Maybea travel society that arranges cheap trips every somester, i'd be on for helping if anyone wants to get somethin started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

A little bit more communication would be nice to-ie emails, also i distinctly remember giving the SU my email at the start of the year-never got any emails though telling me about what they were doing....however that could be due to the fact that they did fu(k all, ie look at what the year's rep's the year before did. They'd meetings and discussions like twice a week about various things-well in the arts block anyway..

Also it would be nice if societies actually living up to promises made at the start of the year, maybe making a year planner of events in September and emailing it out to ppl

A fake tan, B.O.P. and ruger-bugger eradication soc would be quite welcome too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

What would you like to see in the societies next year????

PATSOC!!!!!

Excellente!

Need a secrtary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Alana wrote:
    A fake tan, B.O.P. and ruger-bugger eradication soc would be quite welcome too...

Oh, you mean the Rugger-Bugger and Oompa-Loompa Killers Society?

Or, in the interests of snappiness: (To be said rapidly) The Rugga-Bugga-Oompa-Loompa-Killas?!

Sounds good to me... RB&OLK Soc... Nice. :D

• Advertisement

Alana wrote:
    Excellente!

Need a secrtary?

Pat welcomes anybody who wants to help spread the word of Pat. Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

They need to make more of an effort to get people involved in stuff they do.

The L&H claim to be the country's biggest soc, but everyone just joins for the free stuff. In reality there's only about 10 people that are really involved in it.

Next year, I plan to join a small society and get involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

A return to NetSoc 3000+ members glory days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

A computer games society!
    MarioSoc! :p

A computer games society!

I was devastated when in first year I found that none existed. My tears coulda filled Lake1... :(

Halo, Halo2, CS (bit old now but still), Brothers in Arms, StarWars: Battlefront, Civ3, All the C&C games, Rise of Nations... These are games ripe to be the centre of a gaming soc, cos of their expansive multiplayer. And there are many other games like em.

Come on people... Actually maybe I should do this...

• Advertisement

Don't forget stuff like Super Smash Bros Melee, any of the TimeSplitters games, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Kart...

Don't forget stuff like Super Smash Bros Melee, any of the TimeSplitters games, Super Monkey Ball, Mario Kart...

I would whoop you at Timesplitters 2. :D

Sounds like a challenge to me. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

A computer game scoiety would be a capital idea.
    I remember seeing game soc(mainly table top games) having a lan party in some internet cafe.
    I too was dissapointed with the lack of massive secret lan games in daedulus or round the network..... :(
    P]-[34R_T3]-[_L337_$k!LLZ

Sounds like a challenge to me. :p

Get your computer games society up and running and I'll show you I'm not a nice guy when it comes to playing a FPS. ;)

Exar Khun wrote:
    A computer game scoiety would be a capital idea.
    I remember seeing game soc(mainly table top games) having a lan party in some internet cafe.
    I too was dissapointed with the lack of massive secret lan games in daedulus or round the network..... :(
    P]-[34R_T3]-[_L337_$k!LLZ

Trinity has one, I know that much.

*puts another credential on his C.V.*

was captain of the UCD intervarsity Counterstrike team. :p

Gamesoc has a few LANs, but not many. The last time they had one on I couldn't go, because I was supposed to be on a train to Galway (TKD stuff) at the time the LAN was finishing... Syth's been to a few of them.
    Using somewhere like Daedalus for an *organised* evening LAN would rock. Stuff like Call of Duty, CS, Battlefield...or even some of the older stuff. Or hijack a lecture theatre with a console, 4 controllers and a projector. That would rock.

That would be amazing(the console idea). I havnt been playing games recently cause of the exams but today I was playing a mod for battlefield42, using an Apache to blow the crap outta a T-72 tank is awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

From what I've seen in first year, the societies are a load of arse. Night club style events are just plain rubbish, especially at the start of the year, there's no chance of meeting someone new there.

That trip soc sounds like a good idea all right.

Any advice on some decent small socities to join?

• Advertisement

If you're sporty, join one of the sports clubs.

<shameless plug>
    Join UCD TKD!!!
    </shameless plug>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

Now I feel old! I remember playing console games in Theate A all Science Day long.

Might this have been science day at some stage?

If you're sporty, join one of the sports clubs.

<shameless plug>
    Join UCD TKD!!!
    </shameless plug>

I joined the BJJ club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I joined the BJJ club

I wouldn't like trying to say that with a few pints in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

I think the B&L society will be good next year. I know the guy that is auditor and I know that he will do a great job. This year the society was crap so he is extremely motivated to change things. I think it would be well worth your while to take a look into it in September!

Thanks for all the posts so far, they've been great!

kasintahan wrote:
    I wouldn't like trying to say that with a few pints in me.

LMAO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Join UCD Ninjutsu...go on you know you want to :D

I think the B&L society will be good next year. I know the guy that is auditor and I know that he will do a great job. This year the society was crap so he is extremely motivated to change things. I think it would be well worth your while to take a look into it in September!

Thanks for all the posts so far, they've been great!

LMAO.

What to oggle at girlies in lil bunny costumes and drink copious amounts of alcohol and compare ur wrist bands with fiacra...pardon the cynical hearted one but c'mon, B&L....

Sorry I should be supporting but going on their history and like socieies history-ie C&E, its difficult to not b cynicl..

I'm prepared to accept that people/socities and people can change. A little less sexism-ie as was displayed at freshers week.. and a bit more diversity would be appreciated-ie not just bondai...

Anyone a member of the juggling society here, I'm thinking of joining them next year, play with fire and what not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Alana wrote:
    oggle at girlies in lil bunny costumes

What's there to change? Sounds like my kind of society...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Although it won't appeal to the extremely anti-established society people in here, a new society for Quinn school students is going to be running next year. It's very imaginitively called QuinnSoc although if BOPs don't do it for you I reckon QuinnSoc definitely won't appeal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Trinity has one, I know that much.

your god damm right we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Haha I can see you Agent Smith.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

If you want better societies, then set one up or get involved in one.

It's a lot of serious hard work running a society though and unless your a big well established society, you have a substantial risk of making a loss on any event you run so cut 'em a little bit of slack (just a little though, because societies that take your membership fees and do nothing all year are a disgrace).

blondie83 wrote:
    Join UCD Ninjutsu...go on you know you want to :D

Never!

Blondie, are you a ninja? Were you there for the cross training?

• Advertisement

Bah, ninjas. They were sucked in by the weapons on the stand during freshers week.

*adjusts glasses*
    At the risk of sounding nerdy,
    We need to get back to the idea of a computer games soc..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

SebtheBum wrote:
    Oh, you mean the Rugger-Bugger and Oompa-Loompa Killers Society?

Or, in the interests of snappiness: (To be said rapidly) The Rugga-Bugga-Oompa-Loompa-Killas?!

Sounds good to me... RB&OLK Soc... Nice. :D

Where and when do I sign up? Do I have to bring me own weapons? Do yis want a Quarter Master? Anyone wanna buy a weapon? I know a few lads on the northside who wanna join...

Never!

Blondie, are you a ninja? Were you there for the cross training?
    Nah couldn't make it down that evening cos i had to go to a talk here in eng. Well i didnt have to go but we got free tea and coffee and biscuits if we went, so I felt it would be wrong of me not too! Plus the guy who's marking my final year project had organised it and strongly suggested I turn up! I was at cross training last year though with BJJ, twas much fun - vaugley remember doing some grappeling and stuff :)

And why not join Ninjutsu, its got everything you'd ever want in a club: beer, guys, weapons, ppl with a sense of humour, relaxed instructor who is very good at what he does, beer, beer, new kinds of beer, funky t-shirts, beer...the list is endless!

boneless wrote:
    Where and when do I sign up? Do I have to bring me own weapons? Do yis want a Quarter Master? Anyone wanna buy a weapon? I know a few lads on the northside who wanna join...

And so it begins...

(Rubs hands with maniacal glee)

MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!! :D

[mad, you see, completely barking mad...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well I was 'elected' to the GameSoc committee for next year, as was Kevok (the lurker). I plan to hold more consle gaming related events (I heald the last one, all those years ago (man I feel old now)). Kevok is taking charge of LAN/computer game stuff. So hopefully there will be more gaming related stuff next year.

Getting machines would be very very difficult, unless our crazy lecturer (who hates computer services) helps us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Console gaming events would be a runner, a PS2 Pro Evolution event would be absolutley class, and I can finally show my skills to a wider audience than destroying my mates regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bring back the Father Ted soc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pat Paterson

PATSOC!!!!!

Hello. That sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

and when you sign up in september you get a free cup of tea!!!!!!

You'll join. Ah go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

Alana wrote:
    girlies in lil bunny costumes and drink copious amounts of alcohol and compare ur wrist bands with fiacra...pardon the cynical hearted one but c'mon, B&L....
    Yeh B&L (the society, cause i know a few cool people in the course) is full of people who wannabe in the OC, I think its funny the way we got these blonde haired beach boys in dublin and no waves or sun!

Yeah Tea + cake soc would be quality, hold baking seminars and stuff and tea tasting. I know a load of posible members, for instance in the last week me and mates have gone through about 240 tea bags, and thats not including recycles!
    Needless to say milk is in constant rations or not present, and marylands never really quiet go round.

Anyone on for Tea soc next year? we could defo get free **** from barry's / lyon's.

There had better be coffee and other caffeinated beverages too. :)

hmm i was re think the idea and a hot beverages society woul be more appropriate, do you thing you could set up a soc that gets cigarette sponsorship?

Well if DCU can have a murder she wrote soc I don't see why we can't have a Father Ted soc - excellent idea on the free cup of tea if you join btw!

• Advertisement
Advertisement