Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can UCD societies improve?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Although it won't appeal to the extremely anti-established society people in here, a new society for Quinn school students is going to be running next year. It's very imaginitively called QuinnSoc although if BOPs don't do it for you I reckon QuinnSoc definitely won't appeal.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Trinity has one, I know that much.

your god damm right we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Haha I can see you Agent Smith.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

If you want better societies, then set one up or get involved in one.

It's a lot of serious hard work running a society though and unless your a big well established society, you have a substantial risk of making a loss on any event you run so cut 'em a little bit of slack (just a little though, because societies that take your membership fees and do nothing all year are a disgrace).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

blondie83 wrote:
    Join UCD Ninjutsu...go on you know you want to :D

Never!

Blondie, are you a ninja? Were you there for the cross training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Bah, ninjas. They were sucked in by the weapons on the stand during freshers week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

*adjusts glasses*
    At the risk of sounding nerdy,
    We need to get back to the idea of a computer games soc..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

SebtheBum wrote:
    Oh, you mean the Rugger-Bugger and Oompa-Loompa Killers Society?

Or, in the interests of snappiness: (To be said rapidly) The Rugga-Bugga-Oompa-Loompa-Killas?!

Sounds good to me... RB&OLK Soc... Nice. :D

Where and when do I sign up? Do I have to bring me own weapons? Do yis want a Quarter Master? Anyone wanna buy a weapon? I know a few lads on the northside who wanna join...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Never!

Blondie, are you a ninja? Were you there for the cross training?
    Nah couldn't make it down that evening cos i had to go to a talk here in eng. Well i didnt have to go but we got free tea and coffee and biscuits if we went, so I felt it would be wrong of me not too! Plus the guy who's marking my final year project had organised it and strongly suggested I turn up! I was at cross training last year though with BJJ, twas much fun - vaugley remember doing some grappeling and stuff :)

And why not join Ninjutsu, its got everything you'd ever want in a club: beer, guys, weapons, ppl with a sense of humour, relaxed instructor who is very good at what he does, beer, beer, new kinds of beer, funky t-shirts, beer...the list is endless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

boneless wrote:
    Where and when do I sign up? Do I have to bring me own weapons? Do yis want a Quarter Master? Anyone wanna buy a weapon? I know a few lads on the northside who wanna join...

And so it begins...

(Rubs hands with maniacal glee)

MWA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!! :D

[mad, you see, completely barking mad...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Well I was 'elected' to the GameSoc committee for next year, as was Kevok (the lurker). I plan to hold more consle gaming related events (I heald the last one, all those years ago (man I feel old now)). Kevok is taking charge of LAN/computer game stuff. So hopefully there will be more gaming related stuff next year.

Getting machines would be very very difficult, unless our crazy lecturer (who hates computer services) helps us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Console gaming events would be a runner, a PS2 Pro Evolution event would be absolutley class, and I can finally show my skills to a wider audience than destroying my mates regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Bring back the Father Ted soc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Pat Paterson

PATSOC!!!!!

Hello. That sounds like a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Banterville

and when you sign up in september you get a free cup of tea!!!!!!

You'll join. Ah go on. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Alana wrote:
    girlies in lil bunny costumes and drink copious amounts of alcohol and compare ur wrist bands with fiacra...pardon the cynical hearted one but c'mon, B&L....
    Yeh B&L (the society, cause i know a few cool people in the course) is full of people who wannabe in the OC, I think its funny the way we got these blonde haired beach boys in dublin and no waves or sun!

Yeah Tea + cake soc would be quality, hold baking seminars and stuff and tea tasting. I know a load of posible members, for instance in the last week me and mates have gone through about 240 tea bags, and thats not including recycles!
    Needless to say milk is in constant rations or not present, and marylands never really quiet go round.

Anyone on for Tea soc next year? we could defo get free **** from barry's / lyon's.

There had better be coffee and other caffeinated beverages too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

hmm i was re think the idea and a hot beverages society woul be more appropriate, do you thing you could set up a soc that gets cigarette sponsorship?

Well if DCU can have a murder she wrote soc I don't see why we can't have a Father Ted soc - excellent idea on the free cup of tea if you join btw!

• Advertisement

And cakes. 'With cocaine in it, Father!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

blondie83 wrote:
    Well if DCU can have a murder she wrote soc I don't see why we can't have a Father Ted soc - excellent idea on the free cup of tea if you join btw!

Yeah Father Ted Soc all the way! :)

Also talking about detective tv shows what about a......... Columbo Soc! (eh just one more thing :) )

HoffSoc - dedicated to the legend that is David Hasselhoff

PatSoc - to the one and only Mr. Paterson

Zane Lowe Soc - dedicated to the man himself MAN!

South Park Soc - nuff said

and last but not least........ the Me Soc - since I'm so f**king great

You do realise that if there's a southpark soc there has to be a family guy soc?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

blondie83 wrote:
    You do realise that if there's a southpark soc there has to be a family guy soc?!

Ah you gotta love Family Guy! That's a society I'd join alright.

Peter: Hi everyone we've had a lot of laughs tonight, but I'll tell you what's not funny...killing strippers. Strippers are people too. Naked people who may be willing to pleasure you for a fee you negotiate behind the curtain of a VIP room. So remember, there's no need to kill strippers. Cos most of them are already dead inside. Good night everybody! :D

Family Guy = win. Someone needs to set up CartoonSoc. Dedicated to all things Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama, South Park... and also anime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

animation/family guy soc was the first thing i looked for last time i went looking at socs.
    .... alas it's too late for me now.... /darth vader out

I never got the popularity of all these combination socs b&l,c&e,l&h... even socs of individual subjects like phil/hist/pol.... seriously screw all that... studying them is fun, but socs should be apart from all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭moynihan

Some cool ideas up here. I'm auditor of Netsoc this coming year so if anyone has any suggestions for us I'd love to hear them. (If anyone wants to help out i want to hear even more)

Advertisement