Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fastnetbroadband wireless

• 08-05-2005 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry but i was looking at this and they say that you can get there wireless any ware in ireland.is this true or is it a load of bulls**** and if it is true is it like the IBB breez.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

You can get their satellite service, and anyone elses anywhere in Ireland. This would be very expensive per month. Standard wireless is not available from anyone nationwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

Hi claregalway Qs,

If you can see the Ballybane eircom mast from the top of your premise then you might be able to pass a LOS test for IBB and get there service. that's if your looking for broadband.

I've had IBB in Galway for the last 3 week's and it's been excellent, :D no problems. They use the new BreezeACCESS equipment in Galway and unlike Satellite the equipment is cheaper, I was told from a Pro that to stay away for Satellite if at all possible as you have a delay of half a second for the signal to transmit up to space and back down.

PM me if you what to know more about getting the IBB Breeze in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hi,
    if you're unable/don't want to get one of the other broadband services available in Galway, GalwayWAN are looking into a node in ClareGalway in the (relatively) near future, through which you might be able to get an internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

What kind of speed's do you get from this GalwayWAN, is it good. does it work like if your into the HAM radio stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

puma5k wrote:
    What kind of speed's do you get from this GalwayWAN, is it good. does it work like if your into the HAM radio stuff.

Most of the administrators are members of HAM radio clubs also, so the two are indeed very closely linked....

As for speeds, it all depends on what connection you get, a post on the irishwan forum should get you some help on connecting (read through the faqs and node lists etc first of course), and drop into the irc channel #limerickwan on irc.irishwan.org (talk to z if he's on) with regards to actually sorting out an internet connection.

I think it's a good idea to point out that the WAN's use isn't mainly for internet access though, that isn't why I'm connected - there are things such as gaming which can't be accessed from the outside, and the fact that you're gaming without paying anything for the bandwidth is a good feeling :)

G'luck,
    Fobia.

• Advertisement
Advertisement