Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help me

• 08-05-2005 9:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

can someone please help me? over the past few days my eircom 1 meg connection has gotten really bad, it has been maxing out on speed tests at 35k/sec and now it has got worse at 13.9k/sec when i last checked i fear soon it may be more worthwhile to switch back to dial-up. i have two computers and the problem is on both of them. i intend to ring eircom in the morning but i was wondering if anyone out there knows if i could help the problem by doing something myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

What is your set up? do you have the modem networked? Is there spyware etc transmitting data about you back to its base? Get an antispyware app like spybot search and destroy or adaware and run it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

i have a wireless network setup, i ran bout adaware and avg yesterday and they both found nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Roz

Is your wireless network secured using both MAC addressing and WEP encryption to ensure nobody else is sharing your Internet connection by accessing your wireless network, or are you using a firewall which may be interfering with the connection?

Apparently there are people out there who drive around with wireless enabled laptops looking for unsecured wireless networks from which to access the Internet effectively for free. Roz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

thats the thought thats running through my mind about someone using my connection whenever i try to enable wep encryption my connection drops, what am i doing wrong?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

joe316 wrote:
    thats the thought thats running through my mind about someone using my connection whenever i try to enable wep encryption my connection drops, what am i doing wrong?

Just to establish what sort of basic speed you are getting why not connect one of the pcs to the router/modem by cable and see what sort of speed you are getting? If it is ok then it would definitely be a problem with the wireless set up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Roz wrote:

Apparently there are people out there who drive around with wireless enabled laptops looking for unsecured wireless networks from which to access the Internet effectively for free. Roz.

Friend of mine bought a new laptop with wireless card and wanted to try one of the wireless connections that Eircom are providing via their phoneboxes so last night we tried one and it worked fine. But we also picked up two unencrypted wireless networks as well so there must be lots of opportunity out there to 'steal' a free ride.

Advertisement