Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plumbing questions

• 08-05-2005 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 wall mounted thermostats one upstairs and one downstairs. Theres also another one on the hot water cylinder. They are all run from one timer switch (those ancient manual dial thingies).

What I'd like to do it seperate the heating & timing of the heating from the water heater. I'd also like to get a better timer switch and possibly move it to some other location.

Another problem I have is that the hot water cylinder doesn't seem to hold very much water. It only fills the bath about 3/4.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

have you motorised valves on the 3 circuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Yes. Its a bit messily wired though. All are in the hot press and all are quite messily wired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

thats a fire hazard then. our house nearly burned down because of shoddy wiring. the insulation melted over the years and it shorted resulting in the hotpress going up in flames. only quick thinking saved the day.

Well I don't think its unsafe, its just messy. Instead of wiring things so that the wires are out of youe way, routing them down and across, they wired it directly point to point. Same in the attic wires are all over the place. Its a problem with crappy houses. Grrr. Don't get me started.

Where is the thermostat on the water cylinder, it may need to be placed further down the cylinder to hear more water.

• Advertisement

dingding wrote:
    Where is the thermostat on the water cylinder, it may need to be placed further down the cylinder to hear more water.

I thought it was internal? The control for it is about 3/5s up the tank. Is that the whole thermostat unit then? Why down the tank? I would have assumed I need to move it up?

Are you heating the cylinder with an Electric element or oil / gas / solid fuel from a boiler.

dingding wrote:
    Are you heating the cylinder with an Electric element or oil / gas / solid fuel from a boiler.

Well theres an immersion in it alright. But my query relates to using the gas, since I'd assume thats cheaper than the immersion.

A willis heater is more efficient than an emmersion as it heats the water from the top down, so the cylinder heats the water from the top down. I don't know much about gas, I have oil myself but can the temperature in the burner be increased.

dingding wrote:
    A willis heater is more efficient than an emmersion as it heats the water from the top down, so the cylinder heats the water from the top down. I don't know much about gas, I have oil myself but can the temperature in the burner be increased.

The waters very hot. You adjust the termostat on the cylinder. Theres just not enough of it, and its not seperate from the heating timer either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement