Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oops

Options
  • 09-05-2005 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

I have two short-loan books that should have been returned on the 27th of April and two long-term loan books that are due back tomorrow. Can someone please estimate how much these short-loan fines are going to cost me tomorrow? I'm thinking it will be at least thirty euro...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

How do you get into these situations?

Is everyone in UCD arts clueless and naive? No offence MNG I think you're swell. But what the fook, did the majority of first year's in ucd leave their life skills manual under their bed after 6th year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

lol bit harsh but true..

How does a supposed adult do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

How do you get into these situations?

Is everyone in UCD arts clueless and naive? No offence MNG I think you're swell. But what the fook, did the majority of first year's in ucd leave their life skills manual under their bed after 6th year?

Well I was pretty unwell the week I was supposed to return them and then I realised I needed them for my exams but you're right I have been an eejit. Tomorrow, I'll be a financially crippled eejit. :(

Edit: I just hit my 1,000th post. That cheers me up! Oh wait...it doesn't. :rolleyes:

oh ok. hard luck about the 30 euro down the drain.

(b4 anyone mentions it, i know i'm not in ucd.....yet)

oh ok. hard luck about the 30 euro down the drain.

30 euro if I'm lucky. I've a horrible feeling it will be more than that. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I've a politics exam for 9:30 in the morning that I'm not at all confident about. Monday could be a very bad day indeed.

On a completely unrelated topic, how much can a person get for his kidney? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Well, I know that the fines don't apply to the hours when the library is closed, but you're still looking at a pretty penny I'm afraid.

On the other hand, if you want to save your money now for binge drinking when the exams are up, just go into the library, tell them you have no money, and you can just pay the next time, which might be next September. Or you could just never get another book out again and screw the library out of their blood money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

AFAIK the maximum fine is €30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Go to the information desk and say you were incredibly sick and couldn't get into college. That's got me off fines in the past. They'll reduce it by a lot anyway if you tell a good story.

got a Doctor's note?

Just give them the books back and run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Just checked it there, it's 20c an hour, up to a maximum of €30. Tough break MNG, I know I've forgotten to bring books back in the past myself, never short loan ones though thank God :D Hope politics went well for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Yea the library ppl are nice enuf i once left a buk down in wexford in my friends house and wouldnt get it back till 2 days after-1 day aftr it was due back to short loan or something, so i went up and xplained it first thing on the monday morning and they were really nice about it...so they'r human after all..

30squids pretty evil though...thats like....lots of drinks and shots...wow....

What you think of the politics paper today Mr Nice Guy? Personally I thought it was relatively alright, the Irish questions were a bit finickity, but Tobias's stuff and the EU stuff was pretty nice and what we were told would come up anyway, so that was ok...however would of helped if I had of studied the EU questions prior to 2 am last night...but meh I think I passed.

Didn't like the fact that alot of the questions were like-what is the role of the commission, etc, didn't give much room for arguing...

meh, what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I did politics today too, it was pretty good. The Eu questions were hard to argue though. I'm so glad I studied international law and not just power. So many people totally screwed because they just did power!

Alana wrote:
    30squids pretty evil though...thats like....lots of drinks and shots...wow....

What you think of the politics paper today Mr Nice Guy? Personally I thought it was relatively alright, the Irish questions were a bit finickity, but Tobias's stuff and the EU stuff was pretty nice and what we were told would come up anyway, so that was ok...however would of helped if I had of studied the EU questions prior to 2 am last night...but meh I think I passed.

Didn't like the fact that alot of the questions were like-what is the role of the commission, etc, didn't give much room for arguing...

meh, what you think?

Well as for the books, I've decided not to go into UCD as I've been on four buses already today and I ain't gettin' on any more! I'll bring them back tomorrow. Are you sure the maximum fine is 30 euro? I'm sure I've paid more than that...

As for politics, I did OK in Part 1 of Section A but I messed up on the second part with the questions on PR-STV and all that. I wrote about separatism and irredentism and I was delighted to see that come up as I know a bit about that. I ended up running short on time though. That's what I get for spending thirty minutes on a plan. :o I wrote about the European Commission but I only wrote about a page or so unfortunately. I hope I can scrape a pass though overall. I've heard they are harsh with the marking in politics though.

On paper 2 I'm counting on questions on Fed 10 and the nation-state and hopefully the rest will all come together. I'm set to go out drinking tonight as I feel I need a break but I hope they'll go easy on me in the library tomorrow. I've not one but TWO books that I've had for about two weeks and not to mention the two long-term books that were due back today...

I think it's a max fine of €30 a book so it'l only be €60.... (eek!) It says it on the fine signs that they have everywhere. It'll only be 60c on the long term i thinks, 30c each book.

Politics paper 2 - fed 10 and nation state are definites. He's put them on the exam every year for 25 years apparently! And we didnt really do much else in comparative anyway except the nation state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Yeah, it'll be a 60 euro fine...so you're better off just saying you lost the books and paying the replacement fee, it's probably cheaper and you'll get to keep the books. Which you can then sell next year.

(That's what I did)

how much is replacement?

Vainglory wrote:
    Yeah, it'll be a 60 euro fine...so you're better off just saying you lost the books and paying the replacement fee, it's probably cheaper and you'll get to keep the books. Which you can then sell next year.

(That's what I did)

Oooh that's very cheeky! Dare I do that? :cool:

Makes sense really...

I paid 67 euro to "replace" two books when the late fine for both of them would have been 60 euro. They're helping me with my exams now and I'll just sell them next year. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

no maximum fine,

a friend of mine paid 90euro last year

Go in tomorrow, ask how much the replacement would be saying you think you lost them and see what they say. If it's more than €60, which it probably wont be, come back on hour or so later and try go to a different librarian, not that they'd remember you anyway though.

That's so clever, you should definetly do that.

• Advertisement

Was it on books from the normal section of the library?

Because I'm close to 100% positive there's a max fine of 30 euro on each item from the Short Loan Collection.

ferdi maybe he had 3 books.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

MR NICE GUYS WEARING A WIRE !!!!!!
    This is just a giant sting operation conducted by the UCD library internet loans division wipe all evidence from your harddrives people and write over it in binary, they have your ip addresses!!!!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

beanyb wrote:
    Politics paper 2 - fed 10 and nation state are definites. He's put them on the exam every year for 25 years apparently! And we didnt really do much else in comparative anyway except the nation state.

Well there was one year me thinks when it came up in a nasty question...so my tutor advised me to look at typologies as well, it's pretty easy as we've done a bit of it in the models of democracy sector...basicly its Aristotle's, Montesque (hope I learn to spell before the exams), and Weber'd typologies of government-really easy to learn off-just learn the diagram thingys and talk about them.

God I hope the Fed 10 question is nice...eep.

As for Marx, Mill and Aristotle, I'm hoping that they don't come up on the paper...or it's something like, now that you have finished with these books what do you plan to do with them
    a) burn them
    b) throw them in the lake
    c) throw them at commerce students
    d) recycle them
    e) use them to build a time-machine, whereby you could go back in time to assasinate these silly people so you don't have to study their works...
    f) all of the above

:)

Alana wrote:
    As for Marx, Mill and Aristotle, I'm hoping that they don't come up on the paper...or it's something like, now that you have finished with these books what do you plan to do with them
    a) burn them
    b) throw them in the lake
    c) throw them at commerce students
    d) recycle them
    e) use them to build a time-machine, whereby you could go back in time to assasinate these silly people so you don't have to study their works...
    f) all of the above

:)

Oh how I know that feeling. I HATE theory. If it was only one essay it wouldnt be so bad. But two... it's just plain wrong.

Exar Khun wrote:
    MR NICE GUYS WEARING A WIRE !!!!!!
    This is just a giant sting operation conducted by the UCD library internet loans division wipe all evidence from your harddrives people and write over it in binary, they have your ip addresses!!!!!! :eek:

I ain't wearin' a wire! Tomorrow I'll probably have to sell my clothes to pay my fine so I won't be wearin' anything. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We'll get you a nice barrel.

We'll get you a nice barrel.

Will there be beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

And blackjack and hookers.

• Advertisement

And blackjack and hookers.

Good stuff. Though I have a feeling that after all that I'll be lucky to get away with a fine...

Advertisement