Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting DVDs Online

• 09-05-2005 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

I am probably going to sign up for one of these dvd rental sites this summer anyone here use them, ive been having a look at a few and http://www.busybeedvd.com/default.php seems the best, they charge €25 for 2 DVDs at a time per month which is pretty good considering id rent a DVD from xtravision for €5.25 :rolleyes: Anyway let me know if you know of any good sites or the pro/cons or whatever thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

i remember my boyfriend used to use one of these sites before. dvdrentals.ie was the one he used, and he never had any complaints about it, not too sure about the price, but i think it is similar to that of the site you posted.

Hope this helps :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

dundealgan wrote:
    i remember my boyfriend used to use one of these sites before. dvdrentals.ie was the one he used, and he never had any complaints about it, not too sure about the price, but i think it is similar to that of the site you posted.

Hope this helps :-)

Thanks, i had a look at that site already and it doesnt seem to have as big a selection as busybee also its a tad more expensive, any info on how long it took for him to recieve dvds once he had posted back the ones he had 3-4???

He usually sent them back and had new ones within the the next 5 days at most!

I dont think he knew about the busybeedvd site at the time, but i think he paid around 30 euro, as u said it is a little more expensive, but at the time he thought it was reasonable.

This was in Summer of 2003 by the way,maybe it was the best site at the time, and others have emerged since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I was using www.screenclick.ie and found it a waste. Filled out our list by priority and we got nothing but things at the bottom of our list. Can get a quick return but whilethe choice seemed good we never got the films we wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was using www.screenclick.ie and found it a waste. Filled out our list by priority and we got nothing but things at the bottom of our list. Can get a quick return but whilethe choice seemed good we never got the films we wanted.

ScreenClick.ie was formerly DVDRentals.ie.
    I guess you are only getting things at the bottom of your list because the top might have very popular titles. I guess it puts you in a queue for those titles. You can contact ScreenClick to confirm/explain how it works.

I used to be a member - it was the only place I could get the early Sopranos series.
    The only problem I had, and the reason I quit, was not their fault - it was An Post. Out of about 30 DVDs (possibly lower even), 3 were lost. And often, despite only going between Dublin 8 (behind Guinness Storehouse) to Dublin 15, if would often take 2 days. This made it virtually impossible to guarantee having something for the weekend.

They were very helpful when DVDs were lost (suspected stolen actually as they saw a few 'hotspots' of losses), quickly putting the next available title in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think DVDrentals.ie, screenclick.ie and Busybee.ie are the same company.

Look at the way they all describe how it works:

1: Choose DVD's.......

2: Receive your DVD's by first class post - since when did we ever have first class post in this country? (I'm not talking about the quality of service - that's another thread). In the UK, I believe you can purchase 1st class, 2nd class and no doubt there are others.

I don't think it is coincidence they all use the same terminology. They obviously just copied and pasted.

I used them back in the dvdrentals.ie days. They were quick to respond to problems, but I found them frustratingly useless. They used to count multi-disc sets as seperate shipments (i.e. if you were on the plan where you get one DVD at a time, they would send you one of the discs from a set, then when you returned it, they would send you the second disc and so on).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

daymobrew wrote:
    ScreenClick.ie was formerly DVDRentals.ie.
    I guess you are only getting things at the bottom of your list because the top might have very popular titles. I guess it puts you in a queue for those titles. You can contact ScreenClick to confirm/explain how it works.

I

I know how it works. The list we had was full and the titles we had on it were very unlikely to be popular and we had a full list.
    I just guess they have a limited supply of DVDs. Considering the way Xtravision is turning into a shop I though it was a good way to go but I didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I use dvdrentals.ie and i've had a particular movie at number 1 in my list for almost 6 months now and I still haven't got it. I pay €27pm and get sent 2 at a time. It works out that I get 1 every day. Its pretty good as long as you don't mind what order your movies are sent to you coz it just seems to be totally random tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

busybeedvd.com is only €20 a month with the bonus code: FREE03!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

Just go to Chartbusters! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

why pay 25/30 a month for 2 dvds when you can get them off play for a tenner?

LundiMardi wrote:
    why pay 25/30 a month for 2 dvds when you can get them off play for a tenner?
    Eh.. I think you misunderstood. They send you two dvd's at a time. It works out at at least 20 per month for me.

allin-king wrote:

:D Thanks mate, is that only for the first month or every month you stay signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

that will last for as long as you are singed up, works out as a very good deal

One last question for you guys who have used these sites before, do the sites/owners/operaters/whatever mind if you post the DVDs back the next day, or in two days, i wanns see how many DVDs i can get in a month?

No, by all means post them back the next day.... get value for your money.

My bf only watched half of the films he rented out..... He wasnt *cough* copying them or anything!! Very bad i know!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

hmmm, I was always very sceptical of these online rental sites, however with xtravision charging astronomical prices it may just be the way to go!

I usually post it back the same day I get it, so they have it back the very next morning. So if you get two at a time and stagger them, then you should get one every day (providing your in the same area as the supplier).

allin-king wrote:

OK im signing up this weekend but i think the bonus code posted above might be old cos at the moment their price per month WITHOUT a bonus code is €19.95 so does anyone know any other bonus codes for this site? PLEASE :D

OK im signing up this weekend but i think the bonus code posted above might be old cos at the moment their price per month WITHOUT a bonus code is €19.95 so does anyone know any other bonus codes for this site? PLEASE :D

bump :(

• Advertisement

I think the new code is IMASCABBYGIT :D

I think the new code is IMASCABBYGIT :D

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jim-bob

heh i put in free01 and you get a free 2 week trial, and then its only €19.95, im currently on the free trial at the moment, but im well impressed, i had a look at the dvdrentals also, but i think buybeedvd.com is defo the better one to go for!!!! i like the way you can read customers reviews on fims they rented it big time helps!! its defo the way forward for lazy fe~kers like me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Other than Screeclick and Busybeedvd - is there anyone else operating this kind of business in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just wondering if there are anymore companies now doing this service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

moviestar.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

screen click are a joke. beware

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ricey wrote:
    moviestar.ie

You dragged up an almost 2 year old thread to say that? :rolleyes:

Advertisement