Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A3 V's BMW 1 series

Options
  • 09-05-2005 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Which is better?, why?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Alfa 147

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

GF bought an 1.6 A3 and its a lovely car......get the one with all the extra's if possible(sun roof and so on)....think they are called Attraction.......nice car anyway and lovely to drive!! was spinning around in it yesterday!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

Always liked the A3, but after a few months of seeing the bmw, have to say its my new fav car in that class. Very stylish.
    reason, none. just like it alot.

Didn't the 1 series come paddy last in the european car of the year test?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

is the 1 the only one in its class with rear wheel drive?. Assuming that a 5 series is better than an A6, a 3 series better than an A4, thus the 1 series would be better (and more expensive) than an A3?
    Ignoring styling, and for example, just comparing the diesels, ignoring all the other cars in the same group, just for example, if there was a brand new 1 series and a brand new A3, both the same spec and diesel which one would you drive away in?, why

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

I've just bought a new A3 to replace my 02 one. I did consider a 1 series, and I took one for a test drive but I didn't like it. The cabin is cramped - the B pillar is very close to the driver's shoulder and I'd say anyone over 6ft would have trouble. The boot is also really small. I can't say I liked the drive either - although the car I drove was fresh into the dealers and so was super stiff.

On the positive - if you are willing to pay, you get some nice toys and the interior is well styled even though it is cramped.

The A3 is cheaper assuming you're going for the 3 door, seems roomier inside and I think it has nice styling.

One last thing - the BMW dealer was awful. He was all 'you want to drive a B-M-W!' and 'what's stopping you from buying this car to-day'. Complete tosser - almost a caricature of what you'd expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

THe A3 is about to get the same nose as the sportback so hold out for that if you can. I personally think the A3 looks nicer than the 1 series. Im buying an A4 diesel myself.

bb_31851.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

They're both VW Golfs for people who don't think Golfs are expensive enough.

A fool and his money are easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd agree with aodh rua, re the internal space of the 1 series.

If your heart is set on one, my wife had a good experience with the guys at Frank Keane BMW on the Naas road (she bought a Mini there).

I'm in the process of changing my car, and considered both of these before deciding that I wanted a little more grunt for my money and ordered a Skoda Octavia vRS :D

Paddy

PaddyFagan wrote:
    Skoda Octavia vRS

NICE, fair play.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

good point about the Skoda's, must take a trip to my local dealer...

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If its between an A3 and the BMW1 I'd go with the A3. While the BMW1 is probably a better drive, personally I just think its ugly, and really the space in it is poor. I love the look of the A3's myself, inside and out.

I don't think I'd go for either myself though. I'd prefer a good 2nd hand 3 series BMW coupe or 4 dr to either. Better drive, more space, and to my eyes better looking. The Skoda Octavia vRS is nice, but its not rear wheel drive. Which is something that either floats your boat or doesn't. Its also a performance car, is that what you are looking for?
    edmund_f wrote:
    good point about the Skoda's, must take a trip to my local dealer...thanks

So your not just looking at the A3 and 1 then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

aodh_rua, did you pick up your new A3 yet? Collected mine about a fortnight ago now - loving it so far, a great motor...

Here's a pic of mine, for those interested in an A3:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y171/joeA3/be6aeb11.jpg

Also, I checked out the 1 series too at the time. I thought the interior was dreadful. Granted, it was probably the entry level version I sat in, but the plastics seemed cheap, even compared to my old Focus! And I'm not the tallest in the world, and I found it snug to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Not yet Joe - but I think it's the same as yours a black Ambition.

It's due to leave the plant this week and hopefully it'll get to me by the end of the month. Galway dealers must have the inside track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

It'll be worth the wait...!
    Careful with the black paint though - it scratches if you look at it cross-ways! I've noticed a few little marks on mine already...

... The Skoda Octavia vRS is nice, but its not rear wheel drive. Which is something that either floats your boat or doesn't. Its also a performance car, is that what you are looking for? ...

I can't answer for anyone else, but I fell for the Octavia - it probably helps that I'm pushing 30, with 7 years claim free driving and my insurance company didn't go nuts at the prospect :)

I'm also changing cars because we have a new baby and my Megane Coupe wasn't up to the space requirements... So given I have to get rid of a car I like, honest!, I decided to buy one I'd enjoy driving....

Paddy

PS <Cheap plug> Anyone want to buy an 03 Megane Coupe (old style), reduced to €14,750 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234555

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

1 series is one of the most repulsive new cars out there. I really don't understand it when people say that they think it looks nice. Is the badge that blinding or do some people honestly, hand on heart think it's nice?

Sorry, rant over. A3 is nicer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

PaddyFagan wrote:
    I can't answer for anyone else, but I fell for the Octavia - it probably helps that I'm pushing 30, with 7 years claim free driving and my insurance company didn't go nuts at the prospect :)

I'm also changing cars because we have a new baby and my Megane Coupe wasn't up to the space requirements... So given I have to get rid of a car I like, honest!, I decided to buy one I'd enjoy driving....

Paddy

PS <Cheap plug> Anyone want to buy an 03 Megane Coupe (old style), reduced to €14,750 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=234555

What kinda quote did you get on the RS?

What kinda quote did you get on the RS?

About 400 over my existing policy for a full year (bringing it up to 1200 - but www.tesco.ie is quoting me about 800 for a full year, my renewal is up in October so I looks like I'll be moving my insurance then)

Paddy

PS That's full comp, open drive and full no claims protection.

Advertisement