Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATA Question

Options
  • 09-05-2005 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

1) Am I correct in saying that the ATA is plugged directly in to your router ? If so this means that the analog phone would need to be in close proximity to the ATA ...

So ...

2) Do wireless ATA's exist - ie. wirelessly connect to your router so that I analog phone can be sited anywhere in the house ??

or

3) I suppose a DECT wireless phone could be used ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

A simple ATA has a single RJ45 connector (ethernet). More complex ATAs include routing facilities themselves (i.e. for people who do not have a router at home).

Haven't heard of a wireless ATA yet. You could make it wireless the same way you can make any ethernet device wireless: plug it into a wifi router that is bridged with another wifi router, wired into the DSL modem. Very expensive, but doable.

There's another way to go, cheaper, but with a pitfall.
    I have a Netopia wireless router and DSL modem (the latest eircom model) which is next to the front door, really inaccessible cable-wise. The PC already had ethernet and wifi cards, and I was using the wifi to get to the internet. The ethernet card was completely forgotten, until I got the ATA. I saw two solutions:
    1. plug the ATA into the router, buy DECT phone.
    2. plug the ATA into the PC's idle ethernet card, create a bridge between the two cards (winXP only), and now the ATA is connected to Internet. The only problem is that you have to have the PC on, otherwise the connection is gone.

Cheers,
    JP

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

JoyPad wrote:

1. plug the ATA into the router, buy DECT phone.
    2. plug the ATA into the PC's idle ethernet card, create a bridge between the two cards (winXP only), and now the ATA is connected to Internet. The only problem is that you have to have the PC on, otherwise the connection is gone.

Cheers,
    JP

Thanks JP - What I am trying to do is set up VOIP WITHOUT having to have the pc swtiched on - which would lead me to option 1.... or as you say the expensive option ... I have an Apple AirPort Express base station which "might" do the trick although it is firewire .. is it possible to convert f/wire to ethernet ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Have a peek at the What is your VoIP setup? thread to get an idea of peoples existin setups.

Have a peek at the Blueface and VoIP - A few basic questions. thread - it answers some of your questions too.

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Will do .. thanks guys.

Advertisement