Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Say hello to my little friend

Options
  • 09-05-2005 9:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

My firearms licence finally came through!It took nearly three months.Does anybody know anything about this type/model rifle vis a vis accuracy etc or any special features?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Can't tell from that photo degsy (can't make out the scale or anything), but is that the .22cal winchester? If it is, well, er, hmm. :D I've shot with the one DURC has (had?) and wasn't impressed, as you were doing well to keep the group smaller than the black, let alone a scoring ring, and that was at 25 yards. Mind you, that was just one example of that rifle, so it might have been a monday morning job, or the rifle just might not have been quite as well-maintained as the others the club uses (noone in DURC would have much use for the winchester these days, it dated from a few years before I joined, when DURC was actively shooting sporter rifle as well as ISSF stuff).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sparks wrote:
    Can't tell from that photo degsy (can't make out the scale or anything), but is that the .22cal winchester? If it is, well, er, hmm. :D I've shot with the one DURC has (had?) and wasn't impressed, as you were doing well to keep the group smaller than the black, let alone a scoring ring, and that was at 25 yards. Mind you, that was just one example of that rifle, so it might have been a monday morning job, or the rifle just might not have been quite as well-maintained as the others the club uses (noone in DURC would have much use for the winchester these days, it dated from a few years before I joined, when DURC was actively shooting sporter rifle as well as ISSF stuff).

I used to use that(cold in the winter!)range,i didnt see any winchesters there then.Were you using iron sights or was it fitted with a scope?Yeah,its .22LR

cold in the winter!
    and in the summer, and spring, and fall...
    I think only RRPC beats DURC for average low temperature on the range, and I'm fairly sure that RRPC is somehow sidestepping the laws of thermodynamics anyway...
    i didnt see any winchesters there then.
    No, it was stored away with the not-used-very-often rifles (which are kept off the range in storage with college security) and we didn't come across it until taking inventory in our first year running the club. It's fitted with open iron sights, and frankly from how well it performed, adding a scope to it would only serve to depress you even more. But, like I said, that may just be our one - DURC rifles tend to see a lot more use than most rifles would see (up to around a hundred rounds a night, three nights a week during term, and that's not including competitions). And they're basicly shot until the lands wear down completely so some of the rifles, like number 7 or 8 (the ones I learnt to shoot on), would have more than 200,000 rounds through them by now, easily (they're at least 25 years old, possibly older).

The thing i've got is pretty new(still has its blued finish).Is there a lack of accuracy inherent in ALL lever-action rifles compared to bolt-action?Would this be a notable discrepancy when shooting bunny rabbits for example? :)

Is there a lack of accuracy inherent in ALL lever-action rifles compared to bolt-action?
    There's no reason for there to be. It's just that the bolt actions you see in DURC are high-end Anschutz rifles (or were when bought) and the Winchester's not designed for that kind of use. It's a plinker, a bunny-scarer. It'd be quite good for that kind of thing, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

I had a .22 winchester similar to that one. It held about 16 bullets which was about the only good thing i liked about it. Perfect for picking of wood pidgeon at nite but not so good past bunnies past 60 yards... So it had to go :mad: Just wasnt accurate enough for what i wanted for and lacked the power to knock a fox. Its in the local gunshop lookin for a new owner at present :D

From what i hear bolt actions are deemed to be more accurate. I went for a Cz .17 bolt action tiped a bunny off @ 150yards on sunday last - that says enough...

Would fitting a scope make much of a differnce or would it be as well to get summat else..?

Fitting a scope won't make any rifle more accurate Degsy, it just lets you see the target with more resolution. Which can have the effect of making you less accurate in fact as you try to correct for wobble and end up overcorrecting and worsening the problem.
    To be honest, rather than getting one of those winchesters, I'd get a BSA martini instead - costs less (hell, they've given the things away in the UK), and shoots more accurately by a large margin. Excellent rifles to learn on or as starter rifles for competition. Just make sure to get either a number 12/15 or a number 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Degsy, what do you intend to use the rifle for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Can't open picture. But from file name it's a 9422. That's a lever action in 22WMR. I had one. Sold it two years ago. Had it for about 8 years. Very accurate little gun. An absolutely beautiful looking piece of kit. The only thing that I hated was loading the thing. That tubular magazine and brass follower was difficult to load if you're shooting prone. So is working the action though
    !! Had a band attached to the barrel for sling mounting. You need to mount a compact scope on it though. I would also not recommend installing the hammer thumb extension. Could accidently come off when you're lowering the hammer. Happened to me. Could have been disasterous. I had no problem with bunny head shots at 70 yards. I fitted a 1x dot sight. Great for shooting with two eyes open at moving targets. The lever action was sweet. The guy I sold it to works with me and I'm thinking of buying it back. He wants a 22lr because it's quieter around his farm where his horses are. Think I'll make him an offer and make another killing on it !!

Anyway. Enjoy shooting it. The lever action is fun. Pity the trigger is not adjustable though!

• Advertisement

civdef wrote:
    Degsy, what do you intend to use the rifle for?

Wabbits mostly and the occasional woodpigeon..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Then I'd suggest you try the rifle out for the moment and see how you get on with it. Spark's advice re: BSA Martinis and such is only relevant for target shooting use.

Prior to shooting at live targets, find yourself somewhere safe to practice, and get comfortable with the rifle, to a point where you can confidently hit a similar size target at your chosen maximum distance. Practice shooting from the same position you will be hunting from, ie there's no point practicing off a bench if you will be firing offhand (standing) in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Degsy wrote:
    Would fitting a scope make much of a differnce or would it be as well to get summat else..?

Used to have one great for rabbiting up to 50 Yards, loved the weapon

Also what's a good .22 round for scaring bunnies?As a kid it used to be Eley hollow points,are there any better ones around now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Xpiditer unless I am wrong

Tell me more...is it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Degsy wrote:
    Also what's a good .22 round for scaring bunnies?As a kid it used to be Eley hollow points,are there any better ones around now?

Remington .22 LR Subsonic (Hollow Point) seem to pack more punch than the Eley. CCI Velocitor is without a doubt the best supersonic round. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

It's probably best to try several different brands in your rifle..

I have found in the past that some rifles "Prefer" one type of ammo and
    shoot a lot sweeter and group better with that brand.

My .22 (Brno) shoots nicely with Lapua subsonics but prefers RWS HP when I use high velocity ammo.

Anyone else found this..?

I got a bit of a special offer on Remington high velocity hollow points..100 for eight quid.I havnt been able to try them out yet though..

Degsy wrote:
    I got a bit of a special offer on Remington high velocity hollow points..100 for eight quid.I havnt been able to try them out yet though..

I managed to nail a woodpigeon yesterday although three others were a lot luckier,due no doubt to my 'rustyness' with the gun.The ammunition makes some noise though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement