Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Dimensions of Property for Furnishing

Options
  • 09-05-2005 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hi,

I am currently in the process of buying a property and I am looking at costs of furnishing.

I signed the contracts 2 weeks ago and payed a 5% deposit. In order to estimate the cost of furnishing I need to know dimensions fro floor coverings and to see if certain furniture will fit into the rooms.

I called the property management agency I am dealing with and they told me that I will only receive these from my solicitor when the deal has been fully closed.

Anyone know if this is true or are they talking s**t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You should be able to cost it on what ever drawing you have. However, wait until you can actually measure the rooms yourself before ordering secific sizes.

Make sure you can get furniture in and out of doors (sliding doors are useful for this).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

yeh dont wait for the drawings just go in and measure the rooms yourself, alot quicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Extreme warning! The property catalogue cannot be trusted. THe dimensions are not leaglly binding in this. They can reduce the size without any problems. Not sure on new appartment sales but I don't remember getting dimension details on purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Is it a new or second hand property? If new, is there a show unit of similar proportions that you can view? If not, then you're stuck. You CANNOT rely on the plan in the brochure because it can/will be altered if necessary, and the builder is under absolutely NO obligation to furnish you with a detailled set of drawings.

**Wondering out loud**

Why would they not tell you the dimensions? Is there a problem?

**Wondering out loud**

• Advertisement

Because builders can & do rejig internal walls, leaving the floor area the same but room dimensions altered. I will never ever ever give floor or window measurements to clients because it is not worth the grief if there is an alteration.

babaduck wrote:
    Because builders can & do rejig internal walls, leaving the floor area the same but room dimensions altered. I will never ever ever give floor or window measurements to clients because it is not worth the grief if there is an alteration.
    While accidents do happen, this shouldn't stop someone giving a client approximate dimensions so they can price floor coverings.

Or do you systematicly have accidents?

No Victor, we don't have accidents... but we will relocate internal walls if services need to be revised or the room flow can be improved (have just done this in a development where the architect was genetically incapable of having any wall longer than .5m in a hallway.. he's obsessed with hexagonal shapes!!!)

I've heard of instances where people have puchased floor coverings etc on sale based on measurements given by the builder & subsequent small changes mean that the carpet mightn't fit the room - who's going to take the hit? The client won't want to fork out twice & the builder certainly won't be held liable so what do you do?

Advertisement