Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What religion are you?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

In light of all the recent religious threads on boards, I thought it might be interesting to get an idea of the breakdown of religions on boards.ie

So, what faith, if any, do you follow?

What religion are you? 231 votes

Practicing Catholic (i.e. go to mass and follow Church teachings)
    0% 0 votes
    Lip Service Catholic (Go to mass but don't follow all Church teachings)
    9% 21 votes
    Non-practicing Christian
    10% 25 votes
    Protestant (Anglican/Methodist/Baptist etc.)
    23% 54 votes
    Jewish
    5% 12 votes
    Buddhist
    0% 0 votes
    Hindu
    1% 4 votes
    Islamic
    1% 3 votes
    Agnostic
    2% 6 votes
    Atheist
    16% 37 votes
    Pagan
    26% 62 votes
    Otherwise non-affiliated religious
    3% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 happyhippie

Ok, you left out a ton of categories, and totally misgrouped the whole 'Protestant' category....

I'm agnostic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

In general I would regard myself as being Agnostic, but I do believe in Karma/Bad Karma, so I suppose I do have some sort of faith (in what I dont know), so I had to go with Non-Practicising Christian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

*away to google agnostic*

Ok I'm back:
    What Is an agnostic?
    An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth in matters such as God and the future life with which Christianity and other religions are concerned. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

From here:
    http://www.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/humftp/E-text/Russell/agnostic.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Ok, you left out a ton of categories
    Perhaps I should have done more the promote the Paganism board if he doesn't think there are any Pagans on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Sorry, I could only use 10 options so I went with what I thought were the most common. I realise that the different non-catholic christian religeons are all very different but to my knowledge they all stem from the same reasoning (i.e. dissatisfaction with Catholic Church's interpretations of the Bible). I'm open to correction on this however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i am a Roman Catholic but must admit to being a non practising one. i havent been thrown out just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

I'm an atheist I swear to God I am!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

God who ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Agnostic is the most truthful, all religions are fooling themselfs

There is no evidence about god, therefore no one can say anything about it with any confidence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I was brainwashed into catholicism as a kid (as most of us are in Ireland). But nowadays the fairest thing to say is I'm agnostic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sleepy wrote:
    What religion are you?

I am not a religion.

o_0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

What about Amish? where is that category?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

surely sex is a religion, coz im a SEX GOD!

YEAH BABY!

RAAAARRRRRRRR
    /me claws air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Religion must be the single most destructive selfish thing man ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ruadan

Pagan (that poll is slightly better than in the Census, but thats not saying much! :p )

To be specific a follower of the Gods worshipped by my ancestors in the west prior to the first celtic invasion of the island.

Do however study all religions

Believe in Karma, re-incarnation, monoist interpretation of theuniverse (it is itself god, there was no creator)

Theres probably a more concise way to present it, can't find the link to where i wrote it the best, ah well....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Have a guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Only Human

Have a guess!
    Islamic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looks like 73% so far don't believe in God.

The Atheists deffo don't believe in God
    The Agnostics are actually atheists with regard to any Religions version but don't rule out a non interventionist creator of the universe God because thats something we can never know.
    Most of the non-practising Xians probably are Atheists/Agnostics too. ie except for people born to fundamentalist Atheists(that don't even mildly indoctrinate their kids into the local religion purely so the kid won't feel out of place in school, with peers etc) every atheist/agnostic is a non-practising something or other. I wonder why so many voted for this option. Surely if you believe you wouldn't be non practising so I can only assume these people are atheist/agnostic and just haven't 'Come out' yet. :D There not quite prepared to click the atheist button yet. :D

So I'm atheist with regard to any human religions, I simply do not believe in any of them full stop, but I am agnostic with regard to a non interventionist ultimate creator of the universe, ie I don't really believe there is one but won't rule it out.

If a religious person asks me what I am I will tell them I am an atheist because they are usually asking in relation to your belief in their religion. Most know what an atheist is but fewer know what an agnostic is so its simpler to tell them I am atheist and with regard to their religion I am really anyway. If another atheist/agnostic asks me what I am I will give them the more complicated answer.

Quite surprised and happy that the non believing percentage is so high. Gives me hope for the future or is the statistic skewed because I am wrong about the non-practising or because Tech savvy people who use the internet and can vote in internet polls are more likely to be the type not to believe in the first place?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I went for Agnostic.

There should be an option for Pagan as stated above, also an option for "non-denominational Christian", which is subtly different from "non-practising Christian".

Born-again Christians for example would often consider themselves non-denominational but certainly practising.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If we were to be real about the whole thing we can only all be agnostic.

Atheists can't prove there is no god, and religious folk can't prove there is.
    Agnostism is the only one that recognises the fact that we really can't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I feel sorry for the jews..someone give them your vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I believe life starts and ends here, with only one shot at it, and I am comfortable enough with it not to need religion to give me a false sense of security.

On the other hand, I do believe in making my best effort to leave a better world for my kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

Only Human wrote:
    Islamic?
    = muslim

I'm muslim (barely)

you should/could have split them into the different sects but then we would be here all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Lip Service Catholic

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You should have had at least had an 'Other' category, so that Quakers like me could vote in the poll and be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

non practising Catholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Devion

what would i choose?

I dont care, its not important to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

choose life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ruadan wrote:
    Pagan (that poll is slightly better than in the Census, but thats not saying much! :p )

I agree with you there Ruadan.

oOh and Pagan too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

jedi :p

Advertisement