Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What religion are you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

what seamus said. (with slight variables)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Dublin8

me too non practicing but

Islamic :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Calibos wrote:
    Do these people really believe in this conglomeration of various bits of beliefs. Do they really believe that they have stumbled upon the exact combination of beliefs from the various religions that God wants them to live their lives by. Is that not a bit conceited to think that you (I'm not refering to the poster of the quote, he just said something that reminded me of other people) are one of the few people in the world to have stumbled across the perfect combination of beliefs?
    Some people, myself included, believe that there is some form of "universal truth", for want of a better description. It's possible that people throughout time have in various ways come to understand parts of this "truth", but either they've misinterpreted parts of it, or in relaying it to others the true meaning has become lost. It doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to see religions or other belief systems being formed on this misinformation. This means that there may be "truths" hidden in the beliefs and practices of any or all religions, kind of like hidden pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. (edit: or kind of like in *shudder* National Treasure)

In fact there's actually a theory which suggests that thousands of years ago this "truth" was pretty much common knowledge. As the world entered a period of devolution (in a spiritual sense), various mystery schools were setup to try and preserve this knowledge. They ended up disagreeing over the best ways to do this which has led to the religious fractures we have today. It's predicted that as we enter a new cycle of evolution (in spiritual terms again) the religions will unite and the truth will be revealed.

Of course there are also people who just think 'screw religion, I'm going to be my own god and do whatever the hell I like', which is a bit conceited.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Calibos wrote:
    Do these people really believe in this conglomeration of various bits of beliefs. Do they really believe that they have stumbled upon the exact combination of beliefs from the various religions that God wants them to live their lives by. Is that not a bit conceited to think that you (I'm not refering to the poster of the quote, he just said something that reminded me of other people) are one of the few people in the world to have stumbled across the perfect combination of beliefs?
    The problem here is not picking and choosing elements from various religions, but believing that you have in some way discovered the "truth". Only when somebody claims superior knowledge does it become conceited. In reality what you are not doing is picking a religion, but instead an ethos.

Religions are all defined [made up?] by man, and therefore each contains varying degree of common sense. The concept of "Do unto others as you would have done unto you" is not a Christian one - just the wording.

It is a concept whose sense is impossible to refute, in any religion, which has found it's way into social consciousness through Christianity.
    stevenmu wrote:
    Some people, myself included, believe that there is some form of "universal truth", for want of a better description. It's possible that people throughout time have in various ways come to understand parts of this "truth", but either they've misinterpreted parts of it, or in relaying it to others the true meaning has become lost. It doesn't take a great stretch of the imagination to see religions or other belief systems being formed on this misinformation. This means that there may be "truths" hidden in the beliefs and practices of any or all religions, kind of like hidden pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. (edit: or kind of like in *shudder* National Treasure)
    That's a nice theory, but then again so are all the other comforting theorys that have proliferated for thousands of years. They all make you want to believe.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

No, because "these people", unlike regular religious types, don't go around proclaiming that theirs is the way to salvation. To them, their beliefs are private and they don't intend to preach or judge anyone else's behaviour. It's about their life rather than their afterlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Tennis

Ok, you left out a ton of categories, and totally misgrouped the whole 'Protestant' category....

I'm agnostic.
    You can only have a maximum of twelve categories and he has absolutely correctly grouped the "Protestant" category.
    I have a Christian faith but am not affiliated to any particular religion.

That's a nice theory, but then again so are all the other comforting theorys that have proliferated for thousands of years. They all make you want to believe.

:)
    Tbh, I found being an atheist more comforting, I was quite happy believing that there was "nothing else". It came as a bit of a shock discovering that maybe there is, and knowing that I'll probably never figure it all out is a bit disturbing too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

i'm a catholic

Landser, please try to make some kind of contribution and not just launch an attack on other people's religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Had to go with the 'Other' option. I like to keep an open mind and don't see the point in confining myself to just one belief system - I doubt any of them have it completely right so unless one of them jumps out as being the 'right one for me', I'll remain in the pick-and-mix category I suppose.

I also found being an Atheist pretty comforting in the past but can't deny that paying more attention to spirituality and spiritual energy has been very interesting.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote:
    Landser, please try to make some kind of contribution and not just launch an attack on other people's religion.

relax, it wasn;t an attack. if one is a catholic then by the teaching of that religion, all non-believers in the apostolic creed are damned to hell. if you have a problem with that, i suggest you make a submission to the vatican council.

Anyway, the poll is ridiculous. by including three verions of catholicism, the poll has forced the xclusion of some other religions. it also doesn't allow for non practising jews, protestants (of whatever hue, since they've been lumped together) muslims, or whatever, to vote properly.

landser wrote:
    Anyway, the poll is ridiculous. by including three verions of catholicism, the poll has forced the xclusion of some other religions.
    Then put your money where your mouth is - list 11 poll choices that give everyone on the planet a chance to check a box they're happy with.

Go on then.

landser wrote:
    Anyway, the poll is ridiculous. by including three verions of catholicism, the poll has forced the xclusion of some other religions. it also doesn't allow for non practising jews, protestants (of whatever hue, since they've been lumped together) muslims, or whatever, to vote properly.
    There's a limit of 12 options in a poll, given that some kind of 'Other' or 'Miscellaneous' option is almost certainly going to be needed, that leaves 11 other choices. I would presume the original poster weighted these potential options in favour of catholic/christian options because these boards tend to be mainly used by Irish people who would primarily have been raised in a catholic/protestant/christian backdrop. It's certainly not perfect, if you can think of a better option set, there's no reason you can't post your own poll (they're free after all :) )

stevenmu wrote:
    There's a limit of 12 options in a poll,

It's certainly not perfect, if you can think of a better option set, there's no reason you can't post your own poll (they're free after all :) )

that's why the poll is ridiculous... it couldn't possibly reflect the myriad of religions or vesions thereof which people have tailored for themselves. the thread is a good one, the poll is pointless, so i won't be doing my own on this one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well this thread and poll started out in After hours of all places and was already edited there by the mods to be more inclusive. It also survived in afterhours with out anyones post having to be deleted or edited. Strange that the same can not be said for it's short stay so far here.

Orginally there was not an option for pagans, but those of us that are posted what we were anyway. So if you feel that there is more information out there that needs gahtering Everyone can post up eactly what their beleifes are and I look forward to you posting up the collated information for us to read Landser.

Thaed wrote:
    Everyone can post up eactly what their beleifes are and I cool forward to you posting up the collated information for us to read Landser.

cool??

does this job come with dental?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Not one jewish post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭PaulinCork

I'm Pagan, but I beleive all religions can give insight into the Divine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭transperson

i do not follow any religion,

i regard myself as a spiritual person

i did not tick any box

i think many people today are in this position

in responce to calibos and to this pick and choose attitude

you believe what makes sence to you.
    because ideas from different traditions make sence does not mean that that they shouldnot/cannot be combined into a coherent outlook.
    we must and do combine knowledge in new ways this is how ideas develop.
    if old ideas are bankrupt and are not leading to fulfillment or enlightenment in our individual experience of our world- for example Christianity or Marxism then we need to borrow or develop new ideas.
    this is what is happening today, people are recognising the wisedom of other traditions [hindu, druidic etc] and combining them in ways that make sence to them.
    it is a period of development and discovery of spiritual ideas for the minority westreners interested in expanding our understanding.
    i agree that spirituality of the superficial commercial sweetshop variety is widespread but dept of understanding and strenght of outlook is a distinct possibility for those who actually persue their ideas and live their spirituality.

as for claiming absolute truth for your own outlook, i think any reasonable and educated person will realise their ideas and experiences are perspectival and it is merely their take on their world not the "absolute truth on treat of damnation for all who do not believe" that the church throughs at us.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I've been reading the thread. Amazingly civilised and thoughtful!

I'm with Transperson, ie: I have a problem with the either/or limitations of the poll.

I agree with hawkmoon's comment and think Atheist's #21 is good food for thought (that we're all agnostics), though I agree with NotMe in #42 (belief v proof) as well.

I don't "believe" in any religion. I believe in God, though I use the word "God" only for simplification of communication, whatever he/she or it may be (the Force, the Creator, the Presence, Life, Love, Father, Mother, Goddess, whatever).

Religion is generally a bad thing, I think, and the reason for that is because so many people believe in their religion more than they believe in "God" and are more interested and devoted to the protection of the intsitution than practicing what they allege that the institution stands for. That's when it can get ugly.

Going to Mass is not "practicing religion," anymore than a medical student practices medicine while sitting in a classroom. (I know, I know... that analogy will hold up only so far...)

I'm a proddy of sorts (Anglican), but I don't go to church much anymore. Lately I find it more of a barrier to a relationship with God or a life in faith than a facilitator. But I read the Bible most everyday in an organised way and interact with other Christians in community.

I am actively trying (stress "trying" !) to live a Christian life in a balance of study, piety (prayer, meditation, etc) and action. I've a long way to go...

Does that make me classified as a non-practicing Christian??
    Calibos wrote:
    What I find even stranger than that are people who do not believe lock stock and barrel in any particular religion
    Creeds, doctrines, catechisms, dogma, translations of the Bible (indeed compilation of the books of the Bible) are all man made, like Atheist said. They are (perhaps) the result of well-meaning people earnestly trying to summarise "God" for us. A lofty goal! A presumptuous goal! (and/or they were compiled by control freaks) So I really don't have any problem with someone accepting and rejecting parts of some particular tenets of a religion or denomination. Doesn't really matter what we have a problem with though. LOL.

It's just a shame that the whole God-thing in nearly all religions is all about rules, obedience, etc. I think this is why Buddhism appeals to so many.

The message I get from "God" is:
    ""Dear Ones,
    I love you.

Try not to screw up and rip each other off. I will still love you when you do it, but you'll be a lot happier if you're nice to each other and appreciate all the nice stuff I've given you to work with including sex, coz I made that too. But be nice about it. ;-)

Love,
    your Friend
    (or God, or Goddess, or Allah or Y*w*h or Higher Power or whatever you want to call or not call me)"

Just my random thoughts.

Ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

im a Roman Catholic and i used to go to mass a lot but now i only go for special occasions as iv lost a lot of faith in the way the church is run, there's too much hierarchy and too many old fashioned views( in my opinion) . I do believe in God but i find it hard to relate to a church that seems lost in conservatism and seems to have seperated itself from the world around it. eg the AIDS epidemic in africa and the prohibition of the use of condoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

In all fairness I believe the Catholic Church gets far too much stick for this. The Church preaches No premarital sex AND THEN no condoms.

If ppl skip the whole premarital thing I dont understand why they get caught up on the moral implications of condoms. I really dont. Perhaps someone with some insight can enlighten me. Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

possibly they do get to much stick for condoms but they seem so far removed from today's society and don't seem to have evolved with it. im not saying the church should compromise it's belifs but most peolpl would aggree that a social organisation such a the church needs to evolve and change in order to keep in touch with the people its speaking/ preaching to.
    perphaps this is the reason why more people have turned to alternative sources for spirtual guidance then the established church as they see them as fitting better into their own lives and perphaps can relate to them better.
    perphaps a few forward thinkers in the established church could give it a new lease of life...?

snorlax wrote:
    perphaps this is the reason why more people have turned to alternative sources for spirtual guidance then the established church as they see them as fitting better into their own lives and perphaps can relate to them better.
    I think that's certainly a large part of it. Once people realise that some of the teachings don't make sense to them, they start to question others too. I think the reason the catholic church can't really evolve with society is that it's teachings are based on the teaching of Jesus and the bible. The church can't really change it's teachings without admitting that either those original teachings were wrong or else that the churchs interpretation of them was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Goodshape wrote:
    Had to go with the 'Other' option. I like to keep an open mind and don't see the point in confining myself to just one belief system - I doubt any of them have it completely right so unless one of them jumps out as being the 'right one for me', I'll remain in the pick-and-mix category I suppose.

I also found being an Atheist pretty comforting in the past but can't deny that paying more attention to spirituality and spiritual energy has been very interesting.

I'd love to know how being an atheist is comforting. "Oh yeah when I die thats it ya know fuking over Fintan eleven seconds" Please that everything you experiend is fuked up waste of time makes me feel very uncomfortable. I mean every second your getting closer to infinite meaninglessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Exactly for that reason actually -- when I die there is nothing. Therefore, I can live this life howsoever I please and not be afraid of any consequences in the next - I simply won't exist either way. It's not 'meaninglessness' beacuse you won't be there to realise there could be any meaning anyway.

But like I said, I'm not too sure about that anymore, so now I'm left to wonder as to what it might be.. will it be good? or maybe it'll be bad?.. and for infinity!? What's so comforting about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Goodshape wrote:
    Exactly for that reason actually -- when I die there is nothing. Therefore, I can live this life howsoever I please and not be afraid of any consequences in the next - I simply won't exist either way. It's not 'meaninglessness' beacuse you won't be there to realise there could be any meaning anyway.

But like I said, I'm not too sure about that anymore, so now I'm left to wonder as to what it might be.. will it be good? or maybe it'll be bad?.. and for infinity!? What's so comforting about that?

Technically that means you could go on killing rampage and it wouldn't matter as long as you wheren't caught.
    I might become an atheist for a while.
    (What I'm trying to say is that there is no such thing as an atheist because none of them would do what I just described I think/hope "What about your concience?" card can't be played in this instance.)

Please that everything you experiend is fuked up waste of time makes me feel very uncomfortable.
    I'm sorry to hear you would consider life a "fuked up waste of time" if there's no afterlife. To reject everything that life has to offer like this is somewhat depressing.

Is your sole "purpose" on this earth to ensure you get to heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

.....Every few weeks you hear of another Church/Convent/Religious building of some sort shutting its doors for the last time. These then re-open a time later as office-space, art galleries etc. This can only be a good thing in my view and I believe the Church has brought itself to this point through its own aloofness, greed, hypocrisy, ignorance and lack of foresight in gauging the general publics ability to see through them.

• Advertisement

I'd love to know how being an atheist is comforting. "Oh yeah when I die thats it ya know fuking over Fintan eleven seconds" Please that everything you experiend is fuked up waste of time makes me feel very uncomfortable. I mean every second your getting closer to infinite meaninglessness......

.....Technically that means you could go on killing rampage and it wouldn't matter as long as you wheren't caught.
    I might become an atheist for a while.
    (What I'm trying to say is that there is no such thing as an atheist because none of them would do what I just described I think/hope "What about your concience?" card can't be played in this instance.)
    I find that life can be enjoyable in it's own right and if there's no after life then it means no risk of eternal damnation too. As an atheist I would have believed that when I died I simply ceased to exist so there wouldn't be any "me" to worry about not being alive any more. It's hard to explain, but it's certainly more comforting than an unknown eternity.

I think I will have to play the concience card for your second point, if I went on a killing spree I would have to live with that decision for the rest of my life. I would have to accept that I'd both taken away peoples lives and ruined the lives of people close to them, and as an atheist I would have believed that a persons life is all they have, I didn't have the luxury of being able to think "well at least they're happy in heaven now".

Advertisement