Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Murphy off?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

http://www.businessworld.ie/Ezines/article.htm?a=1167031

Murphy to quit job as BT Ireland head ?
    Monday, May 09 08:06:40
    Business World

Bill Murphy is stepping down as chief executive of BT Ireland and moving back to Britain, according to reports this morning.

He is to take up a job as head of BT's business arm there, they say.

Murphy has spent three years in Ireland, building up Esat BT's business and residential penetration here.

He oversaw the company's renaming in recent weeks as BT Ireland.

Speculation on a successor appears to centre on the company's chief operations officer Mike Maloney, previously the boss of Gateway here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Now who's going to answer all the customer complaint emails ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, and who's going to pretend that the billing system isn't sponsored by Honest John's String & Duct Tape Emporium?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ahhh bollox

I was trying to email him earlier today - but it kept bouncing - now I know why :(

Anyone know another effective way of contacting IOL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

zenith wrote:
    http://www.businessworld.ie/Ezines/article.htm?a=1167031

Speculation on a successor appears to centre on the company's chief operations officer Mike Maloney, previously the boss of Gateway here.

Mike Maloney will be in Seminar 2 of this Friday's Galway Broadband event:https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/9720/12923.pdf
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Bill is a sound bloke. I wish you well in the future Bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

damien.m wrote:
    Now who's going to answer all the customer complaint emails ?

Aggie will!!! Ahem ahem (people who remember what this is about are doing well!! Eh, Sponge bob?!)

She doesn't anymore I think. I've tried.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd say its mike.moloney@esat.com and if not then I would question his 'commitment' <cough> ! should we all chip in to buy him a Blackberry :) :eek:

Sponge Bob wrote:
    should we all chip in to buy him a Blackberry
    Abacus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Congrats on the 10k post mark Adam!

Thanks cgarvey.

Any info on the new guy in BT yet? I'm getting the usual lies and bullsh*t from from the CS team, who refuse to follow up an obvious problem with my order with Eircom, and I feel the need to vent with one of my patent open letters.

(I'm not exaggerating btw. "Gareth" told me yesterday that I'd definitely have an install date today, and then went and noted on my account that he'd told me 14 days. Lying turd.)

adam

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Mike Maloney is the new guy in BT Ireland. Mike is formally of Gateway. A company who's own ex-employees will tell you they had the worst tech support of any company. So, who here is good at pattern recognition? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Morgoth

Oh yeah. So does that mean the tech support is going to be transformed into a conference call where one support person is going to be dealing with ~10 customers at a time and it takes hours to fix even a simple problem?

And the Gateway tech at least had some competancy! :rolleyes:

gateways techs were not that bad ... outsourced muppets are the pits

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

No comment on the Gateway tech support other than about 10 people did know their **** but when management are more committed to pub lunches and patting each others back then nothing gets done

They were one of the most generous tech supports ( until their gave away 3 years of parts in 2 months to get their call statistics right) when they outsourced to CL ! ...great company !

Mike Moloney , met him once , haven't a clue what was going on in Gateway..the rest of the managers lined their pockets , shame he has to get another job ...or maybe its a cover ! ....

I know several people that worked in Gateway support and they were all intelligent, capable people. Only time I ever had to deal with them was to get a power-supply replaced on a second-hand machine, and it came next day delivery; although to be fair, it was one of the aforementioned that sorted it out for me, and he was lead at that stage.

In all honesty though, they'd want to be awful to compete with BT. I've had to contact them five times so far in the past two weeks, and I've had different stories from each of them, varying from "can't do" to "won't do" to outright lies and dazzling incompetence. And I'm still not hooked up, and now I'm stuck in limbo with them, unable to move elsewhere.

My heart says: "You should've known better". My mind says: "There's better?"

Tomorrow they get the ultimatum. It won't be pretty.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

dahamsta wrote:
    My heart says: "You should've known better". My mind says: "There's better?"

That perfectly rounds up the DSL market at the moment. Price is only one aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

dahamsta wrote:
    And I'm still not hooked up, and now I'm stuck in limbo with them, unable to move elsewhere.
    adam

Did you get any satisfaction from BT since?

P.

Not really. As I mentioned in another thread, I was pleased to have been contacted by their consumer sales & service lead about the issue last week, but, well, I still don't have DSL nearly three weeks after I ordered.

He attributed the delay to the fact that the WLR order wasn't actually sent to Eircom for a week because they were waiting on a deposit from me, but I only found this out when I contacted them to query the order. And since the people involved in the regulatory process thought it'd be AOK to require WLR orders to clear before anything else could be processed, this means the BB order effectively hasn't even been placed yet.

When I replied to him he completely skipped over the deposit issue, ignoring my questions about why it was implemented this way, why I wasn't issued with a receipt, and when I would be refunded the money. (I'm not the only one curious about it - see the BB forum - so I said I'd ask to see if it could be cleared up once and for all.) He also encouraged me to complain to ComReg - I mentioned I would be - but didn't tell me he'd be complaining on my behalf, or even on BT Ireland's behalf.

So it's a mish-mash of incompetence really. BT Ireland's processes are still obviously ridiculously badly developed and implemented, some of their staff don't know what they're talking about, and even the bosses won't answer direct questions about some issues. Eircom officially has more than a week to convert an Eircom account number to a "universal access number", and they can't - or more likely won't - even hit that target. And ComReg has allowed more idiotic processes into the supply chain.

Booby prizes all round it seems.

adam

• Advertisement

Bye Bye Bill, you singlehandedly showed your minions how to focus on the customer , I hope the lesson is ingrained by now and that the minions don't revert to type now you are gone. I fear we in Ireland will miss you badly .

He stopped ESAT from imploding under the weight of its own incompetence and stabilised the ship. This may have an overall positive effect on the market here in future despite my basic cynicism about BT Irelands overall setup .

Bills last gig as ESAT boss is covered by SiliconRepublic

It includes a few nuggeteens

1. BT Ireland now has 35,000 broadband customers (but not Adam) and has made a commitment to unbundle a further 13 exchanges from Eircom in the year ahead.

2. The company generating its first-ever operating profit in the final quarter of the year.

Not too shabby. Of course the 13 exchanges in question will be large ones like Shantalla in Galway and we could criticise Bill for letting Smart make all the running for the past 6 months or so but now is not the time for that.

I personally will miss Bill. When it came to down and dirty customer relations he showed up his 'peers' like no one else in the industry and will probably head up BT itself one day .

He won't miss the baggage hole under Dublin Airport either and the Port Tunnel works :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Bye Bye Bill, you singlehandedly showed your minions how to focus on the customer , I hope the lesson is ingrained by now and that the minions don't revert to type now you are gone. I fear we in Ireland will miss you badly .

He stopped ESAT from imploding under the weight of its own incompetence and stabilised the ship. This may have an overall positive effect on the market here in future despite my basic cynicism about BT Irelands overall setup .

Bills last gig as ESAT boss is covered by SiliconRepublic

It includes a few nuggeteens

1. BT Ireland now has 35,000 broadband customers (but not Adam) and has made a commitment to unbundle a further 13 exchanges from Eircom in the year ahead.

2. The company generating its first-ever operating profit in the final quarter of the year.

Not too shabby. Of course the 13 exchanges in question will be large ones like Shantalla in Galway and we could criticise Bill for letting Smart make all the running for the past 6 months or so but now is not the time for that.

I personally will miss Bill. When it came to down and dirty customer relations he showed up his 'peers' like no one else in the industry and will probably head up BT itself one day .

He won't miss the baggage hole under Dublin Airport either and the Port Tunnel works :)

I think the time is right for Bill to move, more from a personal level than anything else...he did a fairly good job overall, well done sir! (Tips cap)

Oh and Bill...sorry for turning down the job offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

I'd like to second what Sponge Muck said, Bill certainly saved EsatBT from certain corporate doom and turned the company around financially. He's also a genuine and decent gentleman in person too.

I wish him well.

Gareth

My WLR was finally processed today apparently. This involved converting their own account number to a "universal account number". It took Eircom ten working days to do it, or fourteen calendar days. They're supposed to do it in seven, but I don't think BT ever did actually complain. Don't want to make a big fuss or upset anyone. Anyone read the WLR spec? What's actually involved?

BTW, I've been critical of Bill here, naturally enough because I think good CS should be at the heart of a company, and not an afterthought, however it's obvious that he did a lot of work while he was here, so:

TTFN Bill. No hard feelings. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

dahamsta wrote:

TTFN Bill. No hard feelings. :)
    LOL.

Here's my latest email to the guy. Getting information out of him is like trying to get blood out a stone, although it's obvious now why he doesn't want to give it up: Strictly speaking Eircom hasn't screwed up at all, it's been BT all the way. It's almost like dealing with, well, Esat. It's been an education, but I think I'll be moving on on Monday...
    I cannot give you any guarantees on when Eircom will complete this. Eircom quote a standard lead time for broadband of 15 days so it is unlikely they would get the install done overnight although it may happen as they tend to carry out install in batches.

There's no incentive for me to continue this process with BT if I don't have a definite install date, for early next week, by Monday. It would actually be more sensible for me to order from another operator. So if you can't provide that for me by then, I'll expect my line released by BT, and a full refund of any and all charges made to my credit card.

With regard to your deposit, this should have been explained and requested in a letter to you, which it seems you did not receive. This deposit is returned after 12 months. In terms of a receipt we can arrange this, I don't recall being asked for this before.

Given the fact that, to the best of my knowledge, none of my mail has ever been lost in the system, I'd wager that this letter was never sent. I'd also add that the person that took my deposit told me that it would be returned in 6 months, not 12. I confirmed this by repeating it back to him. I can only assume the deposit will be returned should I choose to leave BT?

As to the matter of a receipt, as far as I'm aware it's actually against the law to charge for a product or service without an invoice or an offer of a receipt. My previous service providers always issued receipts for services provided, as do all of my other service providers, so I find it difficult to understand why it isn't standard practice in BT.

With regard to your WLR order I actually miscalculated the time as the order was submitted on the 16th, accepted on the 17th and was within SLA until yesyerday and was delivered today.

Why wasn't the order placed on Friday the 13th, when I actually paid for this desposit? I don't believe it was that early in the day when I made the payment. Even Monday would be understandable to some degree, but Tuesday? And again, why wasn't I contacted about this deposit, which held up my order for what you're now telling me was well over a week?

I hope this covers off your issues, the fact is we quote 2 weeks for voice and 2 further weeks for broadband, so there would be no reason for me to be complaining on your behalf to Eircom for the time being. On the contrary I will be trying to get your order completed asap.

When I placed my order your website FAQ stated two weeks, period. If it hasn't been updated to state the facts more clearly in the meantime, you might want to get it corrected before someone complains to the consumers association about it.
    At least we're working towards the facts about this super-special deposit anyway I guess. I wonder if anyone here that had to pay the deposit has received one of these explanatory letters? And how much were you charged?

A mate that went with Eircom is laughing his ass off at me, because he ordered it on Monday and was up and running on Tuesday. That's what I get for having principles...

adam

This is so much fun. This guy actually held the BB order in the meantime, presumably because he can't take criticism. So this morning I called Eircom and a colleague in a smaller OLO, and because of the WLR I'm greyed out on Eircom's systems and I don't actually show up at all on anyone else's systems. So I'm locked into these incompetent muppets whether or which. There is so going to be a website about this.

In all seriousness though, ordering the full-on DSL+WLR package from BT is a bad idea if you want DSL in any kind of reasonable timeframe. Yerman told me that they were switching it around, but tbh you'd have to call their credibility into question on that front.

adam

Sorry to drag this up one more time, but I think it's only fair to finish the story: My DSL was finally activated Wednesday, so at long last I'm back to surfing the net at reasonable speeds and not having to hobble my software just to get any kind of reasonable performance out of it. In the end the DSL activation itself took only two days, and I don't know whether that was down to BT lobbying on my behalf or not, but if the latter then fair dues to them for doing it.

I also had a chat with the guy I've been emailing about this on the phone yesterday, and although I think it's pretty obvious to him that I'm still extremely pissed off about the way it was handled (just as it was obvious to me that he was pissed off about the way I was covering it here), we moved on from that to the wider issues involved and I think - at least I hope - that the discussion was pretty constructive.

I think he'd like to turn many things around, and by god it would be great if he did; if BT decided to take the initiative and start standing out from the crowd. I just hope he doesn't get dragged down like so many before him.

Good luck Pat. You're going to need it!

adam

Advertisement