Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windscreen washer: where's it going?

Options
  • 09-05-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

On Saturday, I filled the reservoir for my windscreen washer. Within 10 minutes, there was no water coming out. I got home, put in another half litre, and managed to get some water out.. But this morning, it was dry as a bone again. I've filled it again at the garage, so it'll be interesting to see whether I get any water out come end of day.

In summary, I've put in about 2.5 litres in the last few days, but only got a few dribbles out. There doesn't appear to be any water coming out from the car, so where in hell is the water going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hate to state the obvious, but are you sure you are putting the water in the right place.
    Are you sure the washer jets arn't blocked.

No offence intended by those suggestions, but working in computers, i have found that 90% of the time it is the most obvious thing that is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Are you sure you filled the reservoir - or did you just add some liquid?
    Obviously enough either you've got a leak and/or a blockage.
    If you haven't filled the reservoir then it might not be leaking at all - it may be a blockage.
    If you have filled the reservoir and the level is dropping (but not through normal usage of the nozzles) then you have a leak either in ther reservoir itself or along the hoses.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I found a disconnected hose in the tail door of my mums punto a couple of years ago that was causing same sort of problem... solution - reconnect the hose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

prospect wrote:
    Hate to state the obvious, but are you sure you are putting the water in the right place.
    Are you sure the washer jets arn't blocked.

No offence intended by those suggestions, but working in computers, i have found that 90% of the time it is the most obvious thing that is wrong.
    Yeah, I know, I feel the same way, but yes, I'm putting the water in the right place and it's filling right to the top. The jets aren't blocked as some water does come out, and it's all 3 nozzles (2 front, 1 back) so blockage is highly unlikely.
    kenmc wrote:
    I found a disconnected hose in the tail door of my mums punto a couple of years ago that was causing same sort of problem... solution - reconnect the hose.
    It's a Punto I've got, so perhaps this is the same prob. What's a "tail door"? How would I find the hose? Is it something I can do myself, or, considering I know nothing about motors, would I be better off dropping into a Fiat dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I had the same problem in a polo before....basically follow the line coming out of the water resevoir and you should find the problem.

When I was spraying the water it was mostly leaking out, but some was still coming up onto the windscreen, so I'd have it going for ages....and most of it was just dribbling out onto the road. I pushed the line back into its connection properly, and presto! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Dont mean to sound cruel ,but if you dont know what the tail door of your car is, then you've more problems than washing the windows, its the bootild. the fiat dealer would just keep the car for an unneccessarily long time and charge you a fortune for the pleasure. has to be a leaky/disconnected hose, or a crack in the reservoir.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kermitt wrote:
    Dont mean to sound cruel ,but if you dont know what the tail door of your car is, then you've more problems than washing the windows, its the bootild.
    Tail door is a new one to me too. Why not just call it the boot lid?

tbh tail door is new to me too; boot-lid or trunk at a push - to keep our 33rd County (USA) mates happy

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've a pain in my tail door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Ah sure they're both specify the back end..not that hard to figure out!

(yes i know not all cars have their boot in the back yadda yadda, i'm restoring a '74 VW Beetle, no tyre kicker)

• Advertisement

Yeah, and when I gets home I put my motor into a car hole!

Now, a little investigation has yielded the following. On one of the hoses connecting the reservoir to the nozzle there is a small "valve", a little round nodule connecting 2 pieces of the hose. This has a rather large hole in its top that is gushing water. Okay, the hole is only the size of a sizeable pin prick but that's obviously where the water goes => empty reservoir after about 20 mins.

I don't know what this "valve" is doing, and whether I could just seal it up with masking tape or something. Perhaps it's something small I can replace and fit myself? Any Punto afficionados with a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Kermitt wrote:
    Ah sure they're both specify the back end..not that hard to figure out!
    QUOTE]
    YEP, I would call it a tail-door as its a hatch, to me boot lid implies saloon ;)

Anyway back on topic, try filling up the tank and leaving the car parked somewhere, come back later and check the level in the tank, if it has fallen look under the car and wherever is wet is roughly the source of the leak, as long as the water is not running along some of the body work. :D

corblimey wrote:
    On one of the hoses connecting the reservoir to the nozzle there is a small "valve", a little round nodule connecting 2 pieces of the hose. This has a rather large hole in its top that is gushing water.
    Is it a valve or a splitter? It might be splitting the hose in two - one hose for each nozzle the front windscreen; or it might be splitting the supply between the front and rear.

I doubt tape would last long; you might be better with a bit of sealant or replacing the valve/splitter - but get it in a motor factors - because official dealers charge a fortune :rolleyes: If it's what I'm thinking of it should only cost a couple of euro.

causal

It certainly doesn't look like a splitter, 1 hose in, 1 hose out. There is another hose that goes to the rear nozzle, and the splitter for the front hose is further on in the chain.

It seems to be a perfectly useless piece of added plastic, but I know nothing about cars.

Advertisement